The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-01-2021, 03:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

I was told that Hank is still with us but his father passed so that may have been where the “late” comment was misconstrued.
Old 04-01-2021, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Hey great! Thanks for that, Tim....Robert
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 04-03-2021, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

Hank's guitars are great! I've played a few and loved them all. There was a parlor back and forth on DG that I regretted never buying and I assume you bought the dread that I was watching for a while on reverb and now regret I didn't buy. Contact me if you ever decide to sell!
Old 04-03-2021, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
I was told that Hank is still with us but his father passed so that may have been where the “late” comment was misconstrued.
Thanks for the update, Tim!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandhi85 View Post
Hank's guitars are great! I've played a few and loved them all. There was a parlor back and forth on DG that I regretted never buying and I assume you bought the dread that I was watching for a while on reverb and now regret I didn't buy. Contact me if you ever decide to sell!
I suspect it was the same guitar. Hate to say it, but I'm expecting this one will live here for quite some time. It's effortless and it's sound is distinct from
the Bourgeois Vintage D I'm also playing
Old 04-14-2021, 07:49 AM

Hey folks, My Mauel model has a truss rod hole in the popsicle brace and a hex nut where the truss adjustment would typically be, here:

https://imgur.com/a/8ByhjZ7

I have a Martin style 5mm and 1/8" truss rod wrenches, and neither of them "catch" in the bolt to turn it. I'm unable to tighten or loosen it (although in this case I'd like to loosen it since the weather has changed).

Is there a different size I should be looking for? Would Hank have used a nonstandard truss rod size?

Also, 96 degree X brace with Red spruce, as well as Hank's pencil signature. Pretty cool!
Old 04-14-2021, 11:52 AM
AGF Sponsor

Try 4mm Allen hex key.
Old 04-14-2021, 01:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by asilker View Post
I'm unable to tighten or loosen it (although in this case I'd like to loosen it since the weather has changed).
It seems unlikely to me that the weather would make a change in your relief, which is ALL the truss rod can affect changes in. Far more likely, what you want is a saddle height change.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Try 4mm Allen hex key.
Tried a couple different shapes of 4mm hex tools and I can't get it to stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
It seems unlikely to me that the weather would make a change in your relief, which is ALL the truss rod can affect changes in. Far more likely, what you want is a saddle height change.
Thanks for the guidance Bruce. I put on a set of low tension parabolic strings right when out weather changed here in Chicago (from 20% to 60%) and all of a sudden lots of fret buzz. I realize I could just put on a set of strings with more tension, but even still I'd prefer more relief in the neck.

I have full sets of metric and imperial hex keys. In every size I've tried I just cannot get any key to fit properly. Today I took it to Chicago Fret Works. They were very kind and patient but were similarly unable to find any size hex tool that fits.

Has anyone else ever had this problem? I don't know what else to do to make a truss rod adjustment... At this point it's driving me nuts that I'm not able to do this
Old 05-03-2021, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

I feel stupid for asking, but have you tried a ball end hex wrench? Maybe it's an odd angle and you just can't get a good purchase on it.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:12 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hank is or was a Race car enthusiast, perhaps the guitar actually uses Torx drive? An Allen would appear to fit, in many cases, but not have adequate grip.

My guitars use a 9/64 Allen for adjustment, which for some reason seems to flummox many would-be techs. It is local supplier LMI’s standard for their TRST series. Hank is/was a local person, to me.

A change from 20% to 60% should raise you bridge noticeably, but not enough to be ugly. If set up well at 60%, a change to 20% could be ugly unless you like rattling.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandhi85 View Post
I feel stupid for asking, but have you tried a ball end hex wrench? Maybe it's an odd angle and you just can't get a good purchase on it.
I've tried ball end wrenches in 1/8" and 4mm and T handle wrenches with 6" stems in other sizes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Hank is or was a Race car enthusiast, perhaps the guitar actually uses Torx drive? An Allen would appear to fit, in many cases, but not have adequate grip.

My guitars use a 9/64 Allen for adjustment, which for some reason seems to flummox many would-be techs. It is local supplier LMI’s standard for their TRST series. Hank is/was a local person, to me.

A change from 20% to 60% should raise you bridge noticeably, but not enough to be ugly. If set up well at 60%, a change to 20% could be ugly unless you like rattling.
Understood on the 20-60. I'm learning, thanks Bruce.

Regarding Torx... yeesh. I don't know where to start. Can't fit a caliper in there
Old 05-05-2021, 04:39 PM
AGF Sponsor

Have you looked at the nut with a mirror and flashlight? I’ve seen nuts that have a glob of dried glue in them blocking access with a hex key.
Old 05-06-2021, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Have you looked at the nut with a mirror and flashlight? I’ve seen nuts that have a glob of dried glue in them blocking access with a hex key.
I have! Here are photos of the neck block and truss rod: https://imgur.com/a/BGfLzUA

You'll notice that there is a blob of glue near the truss rod access, but because I haven't found a wrench that locks into the nut I am not at the stage where I'm suspecting that glue blob... yet.

The larger bolt is the for the neck. As you can see in my markup, I wonder if these are in fact Torx patterns
Old 05-06-2021, 05:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

No, its not Torx. Have you tried a “ball end” Allen wrench? Sometimes the ball end will allow the hex key to enter at slightly off angles where a straight Allen key won’t enter at less than a straight entry.
Old 05-07-2021, 07:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

It is not a Torx, but possible it was once. It has pointed corners such as I have never noticed on an Allen, and may be a Torx that got rounded on the inside by using an Allen wrench. An Allen will move a loose Torx, but once it slips it look a lot like what you have. If this is so, the right Torx is your only hope short of surgery. You can get the bit in most hardwares these days as they are often used to drive grabber type screws.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop