The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-30-2021, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tøf View Post
I was wondering if you had some sort of wolf tones around open D/D#?
I ordered a custom X30 a couple of years ago, slotted headstock and many custom options, and I ended up sending the guitar back to Emerald to investigate and try to fix it. The guitar came back to me with a new set-up, bone saddle… and the exact same problem of wolf notes. Quickly traded to someone who liked the guitar as it was, but I ended up quite frustrated (and poorer!)
Other than this problem I found the X30 extremely comfortable to play for its size, with a cool bold voice strummed. i’m still tempted to order a new one at some point, but I want to make sure the problem has disappeared on newer models.
For me it wasn’t the D/D#, but the E/F on the D string - most Martin dreads I’ve played are exactly the same - so it actually didn’t bother me.
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 05-30-2021, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tøf View Post
I was wondering if you had some sort of wolf tones around open D/D#?
I ordered a custom X30 a couple of years ago, slotted headstock and many custom options, and I ended up sending the guitar back to Emerald to investigate and try to fix it. The guitar came back to me with a new set-up, bone saddle… and the exact same problem of wolf notes. Quickly traded to someone who liked the guitar as it was, but I ended up quite frustrated (and poorer!)
Other than this problem I found the X30 extremely comfortable to play for its size, with a cool bold voice strummed. i’m still tempted to order a new one at some point, but I want to make sure the problem has disappeared on newer models.
No wolf notes that I noted. Then again I don’t know that I am as sensitive to those, having never knowingly heard one. I’m more prone to hear oddities in the higher notes, but my hearing, specially in my left ear, is not good.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 05-31-2021, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
For me it wasn’t the D/D#, but the E/F on the D string - most Martin dreads I’ve played are exactly the same - so it actually didn’t bother me.
Interesting that you noticed one at a different frequency! I thought with the consistency of CF all X30 would sound the same but apparently not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
No wolf notes that I noted. Then again I don’t know that I am as sensitive to those, having never knowingly heard one. I’m more prone to hear oddities in the higher notes, but my hearing, specially in my left ear, is not good.
In my case it was quite obvious, I’m sure you would have noticed it

Thanks a lot for your replies!
Old 06-05-2021, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

Gigged with this guitar today. Sounded great through my Fishman Loudbox Artist. Had to give the tone knob a slight tweak or the bass would feed back a bit, but the richness and warmth were awesome. So far, continuing to be very happy with the X30.

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 06-05-2021, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Gigged with this guitar today. Sounded great through my Fishman Loudbox Artist. Had to give the tone knob a slight tweak or the bass would feed back a bit, but the richness and warmth were awesome. So far, continuing to be very happy with the X30.
So glad to hear that, I know you had reservations but it sounds like you and the X30 are bonding nicely.
Old 06-06-2021, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
So glad to hear that, I know you had reservations but it sounds like you and the X30 are bonding nicely.
Thanks, yes, it’s been enjoyable getting to know the guitar better and feeling we work well together.

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber