The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-12-2023, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
Is that the Circa? I recall reading of a legendary good circa OO #18 I believe, that was owned by Al petteway originally that was supposed to be incredible. Is your own maple circa built to reproduce thta guitar?
It is the Circa! And that legendary Circa OO you mention certainly inspired me to commission the maple OM. We had an amazing set of adi and maple to work with and my direction to John was not to reproduce Al's guitar, but to "Build this guitar as if this guitar will be for you." I provided a lot more input for the cosmetic appointments. When all the saw dust settled, I definitely gained a new appreciation for maple.
Old 01-13-2023, 04:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I will try and find another photosharing website that works better. Any recommendations as to which free site is best and easiest to use?

I use Imgur, but it’s buggy sometimes.

+1 for becoming a Charter Member, it’s much handier and supports the Forum !
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 01-13-2023, 09:53 AM

Double post
Old 01-13-2023, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerFoodie View Post
It is the Circa! And that legendary Circa OO you mention certainly inspired me to commission the maple OM. We had an amazing set of adi and maple to work with and my direction to John was not to reproduce Al's guitar, but to "Build this guitar as if this guitar will be for you." I provided a lot more input for the cosmetic appointments. When all the saw dust settled, I definitely gained a new appreciation for maple.
Excellent! That little 00 has inspired a lot of néw reassessment of maple for many, I suspect...

Was your maple circa made of euro maple?
Old 01-13-2023, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

My friend cbjanne has yet to join the conversation because he's been very busy these days. I hope he finds the time to do so soon. His 2020 maple Malabar is such a stunner!

I've listened to the clips he's made many, many times. Fabulous stuff.

Janne has also sent me some tracks he's recorded with his band, which plays very slick modern prog rock. He's used the Malabar on quite a few tunes, and boy does it shine! Clear, warm, musical, it maintains its presence even in a mix of synths and electric guitars! I want one!!!
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 01-13-2023, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Was your maple circa made of euro maple?
Actually, it was not euro maple, but rather sugar maple. A number of John's maple guitars are euro maple paired with German spruce. But my axe was an aberration of adi and sugar maple. I believe this is the only one of John's guitars built with sugar maple as it was a one time deal. In fact, I wanted a OOO cut, and he told me that since we only had one set of back and sides, he didn't want to do a cutaway in case something happened during the bending. So, it was a standard OM instead! Talking to John, he was always super interested in building with sugar maple, but never had the chance until this build came along.

If I had the coin, I'd love to commission a kissing cousin OOO cutaway with him. Adi + Euro Maple + Awesome Sauce
Old 01-13-2023, 09:15 PM

Here's another attempt at photo sharing...

Last edited by gitarro; 01-13-2023 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-13-2023, 09:24 PM

The whole guitar's finish is French polished shellac. It also has been made more amber-toned in colour by Ed claxton's proprietary ozone treatment booth. It looks like maybe how a stradivarius may look like if it did not have stain on its finish?

There is also a strong fragrance that smells a little intoxicating all the time when I hold the guitar which actually smells a lot like brazilian rosewood, which i do not understand since its mostly made up of spruce and maple. I really like that scent...I hope any other owner of a French polished claxton can enlighten me kn where the smell comes from - is it the shellac?

Last edited by gitarro; 01-13-2023 at 10:36 PM.
Old 01-13-2023, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman View Post
My friend cbjanne has yet to join the conversation because he's been very busy these days. I hope he finds the time to do so soon. His 2020 maple Malabar is such a stunner!

I've listened to the clips he's made many, many times. Fabulous stuff.

Janne has also sent me some tracks he's recorded with his band, which plays very slick modern prog rock. He's used the Malabar on quite a few tunes, and boy does it shine! Clear, warm, musical, it maintains its presence even in a mix of synths and electric guitars! I want one!!!
That's great to hear thta the maple malabar does so well in such a mix...
Old 01-13-2023, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerFoodie View Post
Actually, it was not euro maple, but rather sugar maple. A number of John's maple guitars are euro maple paired with German spruce. But my axe was an aberration of adi and sugar maple. I believe this is the only one of John's guitars built with sugar maple as it was a one time deal. In fact, I wanted a OOO cut, and he told me that since we only had one set of back and sides, he didn't want to do a cutaway in case something happened during the bending. So, it was a standard OM instead! Talking to John, he was always super interested in building with sugar maple, but never had the chance until this build came along.

If I had the coin, I'd love to commission a kissing cousin OOO cutaway with him. Adi + Euro Maple + Awesome Sauce
I had a circa once. It was a powerfully punchy guitar.l - maybe the most punchy I have ever had if I recall it rightly, the notes were like a percussive punch. And it had the most incredible fit and finish.
Old 01-14-2023, 02:18 AM
Charter Member

Thanks so much for the pictures, man.

WOW !! It's so Ed. The colors, textures, the rosette !!

You must be over the moon, since you're not in the snapshots. :-)

Quote:
I had a circa once. It was a powerfully punchy guitar.l - maybe the most punchy I have ever had if I recall it rightly, the notes were like a percussive punch. And it had the most incredible fit and finish.
That's my Circa OM-18 in a nutshell.

We classify luthiers into different "schools" to facilitate our basic understanding of their instruments in the abstract. It makes sense to say that John Slobod and Ed Claxton both draw inspiration from the Martin guitars of the 1930s.

We also know that, failing any hands-on experience with a given instrument, such labels tell you very little.

On paper my Claxton and Circa share countless similarities. Playing them in turn is like chasing a Cabernet from California with a Cabernet from Bordeaux, two greatly different tastes of the same flavor, if that makes any sense.

Their most important common denominator ? A truly rewarding playing experience. Like drinking fine wine, every time.
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 01-14-2023, 05:27 AM
AGF Sponsor

I have very much enjoyed every Claxton guitar I've played - absolutely top notch. In particular, I very nearly bought a macassar ebony EM which I loved, but couldn't get the funds together for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I am tired of hearing the same old stuff about maple being too bright and can't produce a great guitar. I have played many maple guitars that were incredible and own one that is one of my most enjoyable guitars to play and would never sell (S. Kinnaird OM). Michael Watts' main guitar is a Kostal ModD made from maple.
Indeed! One particular guitar has stuck in my mind from about 15 years ago - a grand concert by Kent Hamblin (sadly no longer building). It had a beautiful maple back and sides, and the hugest, warmest bass for that size of guitar I've ever heard from something that wasn't a Somogyi! Certainly opened my eyes to what a great luthier can bring out from maple.

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 01-14-2023, 05:41 AM

I finally found the time to chime in. What a beautiful guitar, man! May it serve you well. And I'm sure it will.

I used an awful lot of time and energy a few years back to find my dream guitar, and it turned out to be a Claxton Malabar made of spruce and maple. Just like Marc said (and thanks for the kind compliments) it's an intuitive instrument above all. With no other guitar can I form such a connection. The combination of the very light build, superb quality woods, beautiful execution and general good karma from Ed's supremely capable hands just makes it... right.

Gitarro contacted me before he made the purchase, asking about my experience comparing the Malabar with my other quality guitar, a spruce/BRW Blanchard. I said that in the Blanchard I hear a really tight bass vs the rounder response of the Claxton -- the former stops ringing the nanosecond I dampen the strings, the latter has a slight boominess. The midrange is slightly scooped in the Blanchard, prominent and expressive in the Claxton. The highs are brilliant and shimmering in the Blanchard, drier in the Claxton.

When I strum or play with a singer, my first choice is the Blanchard. It gives room for the midrange in the vocals and compliments it with the sparkling high overtones, usually with beautiful results. But when I play fingerstyle and really want to express myself with melody, there's nothing as good as the Claxton. It sings and responds in a way that is difficult to explain in words. I just know it's right for me.

Here's my guitar. It's finished in French polished spirit varnish too. Ed makes his varnish using a recipe that contains different wood resins in addition to shellac. This might contribute to the scent Gitarro asked about?

And I cannot help but attach a song here. It's called Saturnus, and it's written by me and my vocalist friend. The Malabar is there every step of the way, blended in the mix with other instruments. A couple of acoustic solo parts can be heard too.

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/track/6wYg6...54900c9de34769
Youtube:https://youtu.be/yvFzIQtYBgI

Congratulations on new guitar once again!
Old 01-14-2023, 05:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram View Post
I have very much enjoyed every Claxton guitar I've played - absolutely top notch. In particular, I very nearly bought a macassar ebony EM which I loved, but couldn't get the funds together for.
Does anyone in the UK know who wound up with that one ? I remember the beautiful pictures Trevor posted of it very well. Unforgettable.
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 01-14-2023, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Which guitar of Mark’s do you have? I have two of his instruments (a 14”, 12-fret Pinyon and a 15-1/4”, 14-fret Bristlecone) and I find Mark’s guitars to be beautifully balanced but fat trebles to be a signature aspect to its timbre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjanne View Post
I finally found the time to chime in. What a beautiful guitar, man! May it serve you well. And I'm sure it will.

I used an awful lot of time and energy a few years back to find my dream guitar, and it turned out to be a Claxton Malabar made of spruce and maple. Just like Marc said (and thanks for the kind compliments) it's an intuitive instrument above all. With no other guitar can I form such a connection. The combination of the very light build, superb quality woods, beautiful execution and general good karma from Ed's supremely capable hands just makes it... right.

Gitarro contacted me before he made the purchase, asking about my experience comparing the Malabar with my other quality guitar, a spruce/BRW Blanchard. I said that in the Blanchard I hear a really tight bass vs the rounder response of the Claxton -- the former stops ringing the nanosecond I dampen the strings, the latter has a slight boominess. The midrange is slightly scooped in the Blanchard, prominent and expressive in the Claxton. The highs are brilliant and shimmering in the Blanchard, drier in the Claxton.

When I strum or play with a singer, my first choice is the Blanchard. It gives room for the midrange in the vocals and compliments it with the sparkling high overtones, usually with beautiful results. But when I play fingerstyle and really want to express myself with melody, there's nothing as good as the Claxton. It sings and responds in a way that is difficult to explain in words. I just know it's right for me.

Here's my guitar. It's finished in French polished spirit varnish too. Ed makes his varnish using a recipe that contains different wood resins in addition to shellac. This might contribute to the scent Gitarro asked about?

And I cannot help but attach a song here. It's called Saturnus, and it's written by me and my vocalist friend. The Malabar is there every step of the way, blended in the mix with other instruments. A couple of acoustic solo parts can be heard too.

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/track/6wYg6...54900c9de34769
Youtube:https://youtu.be/yvFzIQtYBgI

Congratulations on new guitar once again!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop