The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-07-2021, 10:29 PM
Charter Member

So - this comes from someone whose spent alot of time with fasteners in the field on doors and security hardware, not inside guitars -

I’d have a very full set of inch and metric wrenches handy, and go thru them and find the biggest that fits from each set. When you have those 2, figure out which one fits better. Assuming this still doesn’t fit well enough to make the adjustment you want, ( and trying to both loosen and tighten ) then use your calipers and measure it, then get the very next larger size in whichever set. It should be very close to fitting, so take a file and put a very gentle taper on the end - one very light swipe per side - then see how it fits. We’d sometimes give it a tap to “lock” it in, then try loosening it again. It might take a few tries, but you’d usually get it out. And thats the important part - we’d make it work, then replace the fastener (if it was important, or needed regular service). That may not be an option in this case, but if the neck is bolted on, it might be worth taking it off to check -
Old 05-23-2021, 02:36 PM

This week I emailed North American Guitar, who have a Mauel in their shop right now.

Nick emailed me back right away and let me know that their model used a 9/64" hex wrench. As per his suggestion, I ordered a ball-end 9/64" from Klein and viola. I definitely needed to use a small mirror and flashlight to fit the key correctly, but I was able to make the small tweak I needed and the buzz in my fretboard is gone. I'm a happy camper.

Thanks, Nick!
Old 05-23-2021, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
My guitars use a 9/64 Allen for adjustment, which for some reason seems to flummox many would-be techs. It is local supplier LMI’s standard for their TRST series. Hank is/was a local person, to me.
This was it!
Old 10-07-2021, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asilker View Post
Exciting! Glad to hear it. Believe it or not, this will be the first small builder guitar I have owned.

I've had the privilege of playing a number of instruments from highly regarded builders, but never in my own home. Very much looking forward to it.

Hank, if you're out there... I'm excited about your work.
Tony...I'm finally back on the forum. Would love to see what one of my 'children' looks like after all these years. Send me a photo or three if you can.
Thanks, Hank
Old 10-08-2021, 12:09 AM
Charter Member

Good to see you back, Hank.

I just sent you a PM about another guitar you may remember.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop