The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-09-2022, 09:00 PM

Sorry, I'd like to but I've never had a shoulder bevel. And I've never felt that the shoulder dug in or bothered me. They do somewhat different things. The bevel is designed to eliminate the sharp right angle between side and top where it goes under the right arm. The Manzer wedge make the upper side narrower and the bottom correspondingly wider, so your right shoulder is not out at such an angle. A bevel will help that a tiny bit, sort of a side effect. With the wedge, there is a slight rotation of the entire guitar so you see a tiny bit more of the fingerboard and there should be a tiny change in the wrist angle as well. You may not be able to clearly notice these things.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 03-10-2022, 08:09 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Boy that’s a super pretty guitar. I love Simon’s work and that one really speaks to me. I too am interested in hearing about the positioning of the sound port. Conceptually enticing! Congratulations on a gorgeous instrument

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 03-10-2022, 09:21 PM

Simon's suggestion for the sound port was to locate it in the lower bout. He is not the sound port fan that I am. At first, I didn't like the idea. Yhen I thought more about it. There are luthiers whom I admire who do that - think of where Ryan's "flutes" are located - so it's not always the upper bout. The lower bout is musically more live than the upper. I hear a trifle better on the right than the left, so, why not?

I notice my right arm is over top of it to some extent and wonder about how smart that was of me. Truth is, I don't hear any problem with it but have not made up my mind on the subject. I need to have someone cover and uncover it while I play. That might help move me to one side or the other.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop