The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-21-2022, 01:40 PM
jklotz jklotz is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,562
Default Linda Manzer on how to talk to a luthier about your build

Ran across this today. Not a lot of new information for a lot of us, but I thought it could be helpful to some:

https://www.premierguitar.com/pro-ad...gning-a-guitar
__________________
My Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jamesklotz
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-21-2022, 03:07 PM
tommieboy tommieboy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
Ran across this today. Not a lot of new information for a lot of us, but I thought it could be helpful to some:

https://www.premierguitar.com/pro-ad...gning-a-guitar
Thanks for the link. I think anything that you can glean off of a luthier is helpful down the road.

Tommy
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-21-2022, 03:16 PM
jmagill jmagill is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 639
Default

Thanks for this.

In my dozen or so commissioned instruments, what I've spent the most time on is coming to a common understanding with the builder of the terms we're going to use.

Describing sound is so idiosyncratic, subjective and tricky. 'Bright', 'dark', 'woody', 'dry', 'sparkly', 'fat', 'clear', 'muddy' can all mean different things depending on the player, like Linda's two clients' differing use of the word 'syrupy'.

So the builder and I keep asking each other questions until we both feel comfortable that we know what the other is talking about, and only then we can move forward.
__________________
Jim Magill
Director, The Swannanoa Gathering

'07 Circa OM, '09 Bashkin 00-12 fret, '10 Circa 00-12 fret, '17 Buendia Jumbo, '17 Robbins R.1, '19 Doerr Legacy Select, '09 Heiden Heritage F5 mandolin, '85 Sobell cittern,
'08 Poe F5 mandolin, '32 Martin shade-top 0-18, '30 Martin 0-21, '80 Monteleone Grand Artist mandolin, '83 Monteleone Grand Artist mandolin (oval hole)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-21-2022, 05:21 PM
runamuck runamuck is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,945
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmagill View Post
Thanks for this.

In my dozen or so commissioned instruments, what I've spent the most time on is coming to a common understanding with the builder of the terms we're going to use.

Describing sound is so idiosyncratic, subjective and tricky. 'Bright', 'dark', 'woody', 'dry', 'sparkly', 'fat', 'clear', 'muddy' can all mean different things depending on the player, like Linda's two clients' differing use of the word 'syrupy'.

So the builder and I keep asking each other questions until we both feel comfortable that we know what the other is talking about, and only then we can move forward.
Why not just give links to the builder recordings of what you like, what you're wanting to hear in a guitar? There are thousands of recordings now of many types of tones and timbres from fine guitars that can easily be found.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-21-2022, 05:26 PM
Borderdon Borderdon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 1,505
Default

Ms. Manzer is a terrific builder, lots of good info there.
Jean Larivee planted some superior seeds I think !
__________________
"pouring from the empty into the void "
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-22-2022, 09:26 AM
jmagill jmagill is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 639
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
Why not just give links to the builder recordings of what you like, what you're wanting to hear in a guitar? There are thousands of recordings now of many types of tones and timbres from fine guitars that can easily be found.
Because even the best recordings ever made, with microphones from in front of the instrument, are still never going to sound like what I hear when I play the guitar with my ears behind and above it and it's vibrating against my body. It's a real and important difference.

Besides, I usually want something a little different than what other guitars sound like, even those by the same builder. If I wanted what one of their other guitars sounded like, I'd just buy that.
__________________
Jim Magill
Director, The Swannanoa Gathering

'07 Circa OM, '09 Bashkin 00-12 fret, '10 Circa 00-12 fret, '17 Buendia Jumbo, '17 Robbins R.1, '19 Doerr Legacy Select, '09 Heiden Heritage F5 mandolin, '85 Sobell cittern,
'08 Poe F5 mandolin, '32 Martin shade-top 0-18, '30 Martin 0-21, '80 Monteleone Grand Artist mandolin, '83 Monteleone Grand Artist mandolin (oval hole)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-22-2022, 03:37 PM
tommieboy tommieboy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
Why not just give links to the builder recordings of what you like, what you're wanting to hear in a guitar? There are thousands of recordings now of many types of tones and timbres from fine guitars that can easily be found.
True, but the client may have specific ergonomic needs that may have priority. For me, the neck/fretboard has always taken the longest to iron out.

Tommy
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-22-2022, 05:43 PM
runamuck runamuck is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,945
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommieboy View Post
True, but the client may have specific ergonomic needs that may have priority. For me, the neck/fretboard has always taken the longest to iron out.

Tommy

Yeah, I was just referring to sound.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=