The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-17-2021, 09:31 PM

Default Kinnaird Tx wood guitar FINISHED PICS!!! VIDEO ADDED

Another guitar is coming down the pipeline for me. I recently fully retired and have now moved full time to the Lone Star State. To honor both of these events, I have asked Steve and Ryan to build a guitar with all Texas woods.

Although not the first guitar I have seen from this wood, it is pretty rare, that is a Mesquite back and sides. We are using dark Texas ebony for back strip and binding. The fretboard will also be Texas ebony. The innards are also Tx woods, local Sweet Bay (magnolia) to use as blocks as well as some Eastern Red Cedar for lining.

The neck will be Mesquite also with laminations of basswood, which also grows in Texas and in fact I have been informed that the champion Tx Basswood grows right in little ole' Nacogdoches. My request for them to go cut off a branch or two to use in the neck was denied however.

The rosette will be spalted Hackberry which I actually gave to them at B.I.G. for fun. It was a cutoff of some Hackberry that I had after building a floating shelf for the lovely Kathy and the colors were so cool I thought they might find a use for it, not expecting it to be in my guitar.

There will also be an inlay on the headstock of the famous Texas Bluebonnet done by Steve.

What about the top you might ask. Well it is Sitka from the Sitka forests of Texas, OK, well I lied, Sitka is not in Texas. However, this particular board was purchased in Texas, by Steve, from a shipyard near Galveston I think it was over 50 years ago. Steve found it at the back of a repair shop to use for ship masts. It had been there a long time before he bought it, so we are saying that since it has been in Texas for well over 50 years, it is officially Texas Sitka.

Ok pictures. First is the Mesquite back with dark Texas Ebony laying over it for the back strip. For those who have worked with Mesquite you can appreciate how hard it is to find a clean board like this.

tx mesquite guitar.jpg

Bending the sides which I was told was not too easily done with the Mesquite.

tx mesquite guitar 1.jpg tx mesquite guitar 2.jpg

Last edited by TomB'sox; 05-26-2022 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-17-2021, 09:36 PM

Just a quick peak at the Hackberry because I think it is so cool. Most people would have thrown it away, but it was so cool, I just saved it. I did not know if it could ever be used for anything.

tx mesquite guitar 11.jpg
Old 11-17-2021, 09:49 PM
Charter Member

Tom, this should be a really fun build to watch coming together. What a nice way to commemorate your first year of retirement and full time residency in the Lone Star State with a guitar from two of Texas' best luthiers. Looking forward to following along the journey.
Old 11-17-2021, 09:54 PM

That Hackberry is awesome. Cool idea that will yield you a very unique guitar. Looking forward to watching the progress. Welcome to Texas on a full time basis!

Daniels - Bedell - Guild

"Tomorrow is promised to no one"
Old 11-17-2021, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodahdoug View Post
Tom, this should be a really fun build to watch coming together. What a nice way to commemorate your first year of retirement and full time residency in the Lone Star State with a guitar from two of Texas' best luthiers. Looking forward to following along the journey.
Thank you Doug. The shelf was in the room that Gerry was using to show his amps in case you noticed that. It has so many colors in it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doons View Post
That Hackberry is awesome. Cool idea that will yield you a very unique guitar. Looking forward to watching the progress. Welcome to Texas on a full time basis!
Thank you for the welcome. Yes, the Hackberry was a major surprise, but a really good one. Thanks for following the thread also.
Old 11-17-2021, 10:08 PM
Charter Member

Yes!!! I've been really excited for this one to start. Great selections on materials and builders! I love my TX Ebony bridge on fingerboard on my 000-12 and messaged Ryan today to see if they had any more for my next build.

Side note...the fact that Steve is bending a side means you're a pretty special customer.

If anyone has ideas for case storage once your kids' closets and under their beds are full I'm all ears.
Old 11-17-2021, 10:37 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on your retirement and that hackberry is way cool!
Old 11-17-2021, 11:04 PM
AGF Sponsor

I love “shopping local,” and your vision for this guitar is really great. The hackberry is really cool, and the Sitka story is as well. It will be fun to watch Steve and Ryan build this. Dave
Old 11-17-2021, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKeys36 View Post
Yes!!! I've been really excited for this one to start. Great selections on materials and builders! I love my TX Ebony bridge on fingerboard on my 000-12 and messaged Ryan today to see if they had any more for my next build.

Side note...the fact that Steve is bending a side means you're a pretty special customer.
Thanks, the bridge I picked out is really pretty with a sapwood component which is really sharp. In terms of bending the sides, Ryan used the word explosion which makes me think the picture is not showing the first set of sides that were bent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanter View Post
Congrats on your retirement and that hackberry is way cool!
Thanks, as a fellow Kinnaird brother fan, I am sure you know how exciting this is for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpinteria View Post
I love “shopping local,” and your vision for this guitar is really great. The hackberry is really cool, and the Sitka story is as well. It will be fun to watch Steve and Ryan build this. Dave
Thanks Dave. All the woods are really cool and all have a provenance that will make this guitar all that more special. I think the slight cheat on the Sitka is going to be OK. Well I know it is, cuz I get to set the rules on it lol!

Last edited by TomB'sox; 11-19-2021 at 08:56 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-18-2021, 04:43 AM

Congratulations on the retirement and upcoming build. I love these builds where there's a grand vision or binding theme. Somehow makes them more special to follow and see how it comes together. I'll be following along with interest.

Joining the voices about the Hackberry - I think it's awesome. It looks more like the pelt of some exotic animal than a piece of wood.
Old 11-18-2021, 05:29 AM
AGF Sponsor

Very cool theme guitar Tom. That mesquite is quite pretty under finish.
I have a small indirect part in this build so it pleases me to see this project underway for more reason than one.

Just to show how large mesquite trees can get my brother and I along with our wives were touring san antonio right after BIG and found several old mesquite trees on the grounds of an old Spanish mission

Last edited by j. Kinnaird; 11-18-2021 at 05:47 AM.
Old 11-18-2021, 07:08 AM

Congrats on retiring, Tom! And glad to see you're right next door in Texas. I lived there for 8 childhood years and living in NW Louisiana ever since. We can be in TX in about 20 minutes and I still love the state.

The guitar is going to be fantastic, especially if Steve and Ryan are involved. Can't wait to see and hear it when it's finished!

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 11-18-2021, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
Just to show how large mesquite trees can get my brother and I along with our wives were touring san antonio right after BIG and found several old mesquite trees on the grounds of an old Spanish mission

You can't have that one, John! Those missions are Texas treasures. Plenty of big mesquites on private property here, though when they get that big it's because someone loves them. It's probably a challenge to find straight grain in that wind-tortured species.

Stan
Old 11-18-2021, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThomson View Post
Congratulations on the retirement and upcoming build. I love these builds where there's a grand vision or binding theme. Somehow makes them more special to follow and see how it comes together. I'll be following along with interest.

Joining the voices about the Hackberry - I think it's awesome. It looks more like the pelt of some exotic animal than a piece of wood.
Thank you very much for checking out the thread. Yes, that Hackberry was a real neat surprise. I think I paid 30 bucks for the entire slab and surely got my money's worth out of it.

I agree on the guitar, all my guitars have a story and for me that makes them all the more special beyond the beauty and music they produce, they mean something to me emotionally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
Very cool theme guitar Tom. That mesquite is quite pretty under finish.
I have a small indirect part in this build so it pleases me to see this project underway for more reason than one.

Hello John, I am curious now as to your indirect part in this besides helping to mold Steve into the man he has become hahaha! That is really a big Mesquite! I can see the beauty of the wood that is inside in my minds eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
Congrats on retiring, Tom! And glad to see you're right next door in Texas. I lived there for 8 childhood years and living in NW Louisiana ever since. We can be in TX in about 20 minutes and I still love the state.

The guitar is going to be fantastic, especially if Steve and Ryan are involved. Can't wait to see and hear it when it's finished!
Thank you very much neighbor. I know it will sound great with it being a Kinnaird, but I am excited to hear it. Mesquite is quite hard and glassy when sanded up so I expect something in the Rosewood class family for sound.
Old 11-18-2021, 09:23 AM

I want one! I'm a little disappointed about the Sitka though: why not a top of loblolly pine? (Just kidding - I'm sure old Sitka is the best choice, sound wise.) I can't wait for the next BIG, Tom, so I can get a chance to play this one.

Stan

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop