The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-21-2022, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Default Carbon fiber bridge plate.

A buddy of mine recieved a new luthier built guitar recently and asked me to come over and play it. It is beautifully made with beautiful woods.

Upon playing it, it sould big and open and resonant. However, the more I played it, I began hearing something just slightly odd, subtly harsh, and couldn't figure out what it was. Upon looking inside the guitar, I noticed that the builder had used carbon fiber for the bridge plate.

The question: Could I be hearing the carbon fiber bridge plate?

What think you?

Steve
Old 06-21-2022, 01:34 PM
AGF Sponsor

Given the part that a bridge plate plays, yes you hear it. If you are asking if that is why the guitar sounds harsh, maybe it is, maybe it isn’t.

“Choose always the way that seems the best, however rough it may be; custom will soon render it easy and agreeable”.

Pythagoras

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 06-21-2022 at 02:32 PM.
Old 06-21-2022, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

I’m guilty of making rash judgment based on companies making changes for the sake of change.
I don’t know why, but the instant I learned that the Modern Deluxe Martins had a carbon fiber bridge plate I was turned off to the guitars and haven’t given them another thought.
What is the benefit of a carbon fiber bridge plate? reducing weight and vibratory mass?
Old 06-21-2022, 04:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff_the_stiff View Post
What is the benefit of a carbon fiber bridge plate? reducing weight and vibratory mass?
Lots of positive benefits come to mind: less weight, less mass, crack resistant and extremely wear resistant to string ball damage.
Old 06-21-2022, 07:43 PM

Less weight? Not always. My CF is not my lightest guitar. But it is the smallest. Wood is also lightweight - some woods are lighter than CF..

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
McAlister baritone Adk/Bubinga
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
banjos, mandolin, autoharp..
Old 06-22-2022, 06:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Lots of positive benefits come to mind: less weight, less mass, crack resistant and extremely wear resistant to string ball damage.
I've been making all my guitars with a three-ply laminated bridge plate for twenty years, for the exact reasons Tim cited, and it works very well. The laminations are a .030" slab-sawn rosewood which comprises the gluing surface; a center of rigid carbon fiber weave that is .35 mm thick; and the outside piece is a black fiber veneer that is .010" thick. It's glued up with epoxy in the radius dish so it will conform perfectly with the radius of the top.

The outside layer of fiber veneer is there to prevent blowout when I drill through for the bridge pins, and also to mitigate any metallic feedback or buzz from the carbon fiber. The whole construction is only 5/64" thick, and is super rigid and strong. And I doubt the ball ends of the strings will ever pull through the plate. I think the low mass, light weight, and acoustic properties of the rosewood and carbon fiber make this a bridge plate that is superior in several ways to a typical 1/8" to 3/16" thick maple or rosewood plate. To my way of thinking, that solid, thick piece of wood will somewhat act as a tone-sink. But what do I know...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop