The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-23-2015, 05:47 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

I'd shoot for a tour of the Peavey/CA factory or at least buy/borrow a finished one. As a guy who never followed a path in his life I dig. But, you are re-inventing a wheel that is already done well
Old 01-24-2015, 06:41 AM

I don't think any of the tops of the CF guitars by the 6 or so main builders have found any need to use Nomex or similar, unless there is a special order for something like that.

They've found different layering techniques that give them the weight, stiffness and sound they want.

There are enough CF builders out there and models to examine that I would think I would try to look at them carefully as well as read and watch videos before beginning a personal build.

A factory tour would be great if you could get one. Some builders like Emerald have some very proprietary methods so I doubt they would give full tours, if any. Maybe that is true for some of the other builders as well.

Peavey might be the best bet.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
My assumption is that the CF top was too "live" by itself and rang too long, so the foam was added to more closely approximate the damping characteristics of wood.
I think too active for start is not bed think by adding braces it will be stiffer.

Adding one layer of glass fibre will dump it to without risk of The Delamination. From experience in know that foam is adding bit of stiffness but if element wellbeing active will split with the time.

Adding harder carbon or putting one layer diagonal will dump it a bit.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:29 PM

As this project is new for me but I will use knowledge of others who know composite work better I will share it maybe by slow growing blog.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
build, carbon fibre, making