The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-05-2021, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Hi Martin, I've been following this thread from the beginning and have loved reading about you excitement during each step of this journey. You are certainly one lucky guy to live close enough to Rory to be able to a part of each step. The guitar looks great, would love to hear sound samples. Thanks for sharing the journey.
Maple Beneteau for sale
Old 11-06-2021, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny B View Post
Hi Martin, I've been following this thread from the beginning and have loved reading about you excitement during each step of this journey. You are certainly one lucky guy to live close enough to Rory to be able to a part of each step. The guitar looks great, would love to hear sound samples. Thanks for sharing the journey.
Thank you for the kind words. I am incredibly lucky to have been able to experience it as I did. It's made it much more than just a new guitar. My intention is to share sound samples, but the phone recordings do not do it justice so I'm learning how to record as well. Might take a bit longer!
Old 01-08-2022, 09:56 AM

Default Soundclips

Happy New Year everyone. I'd hoped to load a demo up covering a number of styles, but I've not made time. So I thought I'd share what I do have to give you a flavour of the guitar I'm my limited hands.

First up we have a cover of Al Petteway's River in open G which I hope shows some of its potential for solo pieces.

Followed up by a cover of Dougie Maclean's This Love Will Carry to show it as singing accompaniment. This time the guitar is in standard but capo 5.

Hope you like them.
Old 01-08-2022, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Beautifully done...
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 01-08-2022, 02:21 PM

Lovely stuff Martin and the Taran like your playing ;-)

Rory has now stopped sending photos and I am suffering withdrawal symptoms so keep pics and sound files coming to prevent cold turkey! ;-)

PS. you have a lot of Richard Thompson going on in your voice - cool
Old 01-09-2022, 04:47 PM

Glad you enjoyed the recordings. I am still in love with this guitar and it's a testament to the fact that a great guitar makes you want to play. I don't change strings if I can avoid it and my previous guitar has had the same strings for a year and a half. I changed the strings on the Taran last night because they were so worn - and that's only after 2 months.

And then I spent this evening really paying attention to the resonances and harmonics that happen after you play a note. Beautiful, ethereal and just joyful. I feel very lucky indeed.
Old 01-09-2022, 06:46 PM

Nice playing and singing sir. And that guitar sounds amazing! I'm really happy for you and glad you got it.
Old 01-10-2022, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
Nice playing and singing sir. And that guitar sounds amazing! I'm really happy for you and glad you got it.
Thank you very much. I had a crash course in recording basics to try to get something that actually sounded like the guitar before sharing. The first ones I tried were just using my phone and it sounded like I was playing in another country!
Old 01-10-2022, 05:40 AM
Charter Member

Very sweet playing indeed. I notice quite a bit of sweetness and bloom at the moment of the attack and I am very found of such qualities. Thanks for these recordings and happy to see that you've found a fine musical companion for years to come.
Best,
Old 01-11-2022, 05:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThomson View Post
Happy New Year everyone. I'd hoped to load a demo up covering a number of styles, but I've not made time. So I thought I'd share what I do have to give you a flavour of the guitar I'm my limited hands.

First up we have a cover of Al Petteway's River in open G which I hope shows some of its potential for solo pieces.

Followed up by a cover of Dougie Maclean's This Love Will Carry to show it as singing accompaniment. This time the guitar is in standard but capo 5.

Hope you like them.
Beautiful playing and instrument, congratulations!
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 01-12-2022, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaillant75 View Post
Very sweet playing indeed. I notice quite a bit of sweetness and bloom at the moment of the attack and I am very found of such qualities. Thanks for these recordings and happy to see that you've found a fine musical companion for years to come.
Best,
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Beautiful playing and instrument, congratulations!
Thanks for listening. Being new to recording, I'm still at the stage where I hear the mistakes I made, so I really appreciate the kind comments about the playing. The guitar knows its good though so it's just lying in the corner nodding along.
Old 01-12-2022, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Beautiful, Martin! Both the guitar and your playing.

Best,
Jayne
Old 03-25-2022, 04:02 AM

Default Pro photos!

I had the opportunity to get some professional shots of the guitar taken and I thought it would be a lovely way to wrap up the build. Seeing as my photography skills have been entirely lacking to date in showing this guitar off, I thought I'd share here. Still loving every minute I get to spend playing this beauty.

SRD_8707.jpg SRD_8714.jpg

SRD_8720.jpg SRD_8737.jpg

SRD_8723.jpg SRD_8760.jpg

SRD_8741.jpg
Old 03-25-2022, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful guitar, beautiful shots!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop