The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-05-2017, 08:15 AM

Default HG bracing question

I've been wondering about the bracing schedule in the old flattop Hawaiian guitars a lot lately. Thinking mostly of instruments like the square neck Gibson HG's, Roy Smeck's etc (not Weissenborns). I've never owned or gotten to work on one, and I can't find much info anywhere online or in Erlewine's Gibson book about the bracing/soundboard thickness in these.
My instinct tells me they had to be built a little more robust than a standard flattop to facilitate multiple open tunings, but this is just my assumption. I know plenty of players converted their Smeck HG's to Spanish style with decent results (Norman Blake comes to mind) but I don't know if this conversion was just the obvious new neck and compensated bridge or if it involved some brace shaving.

I'm sure some of you with more hands on experience with these models could clue me in.

Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop