The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-21-2022, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Default Strings for carbon fiber guitar

I have a C.A. (Composite Acoustics) Bluegrass Performer carbon fiber dreadnaught guitar and I am wondering if anyone has found any certain type of strings that sound good. This guitar sounds pretty good as is, I think I have Elixirs on it. It'll work as is but I suppose these guitars have a slight metallic or non-woody sound, whatever that is. I have no idea what strings came on it, I bought it used a few years ago. Any ideas?
Old 05-21-2022, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveMusic View Post
I have a C.A. (Composite Acoustics) Bluegrass Performer carbon fiber dreadnaught guitar and I am wondering if anyone has found any certain type of strings that sound good. This guitar sounds pretty good as is, I think I have Elixirs on it. It'll work as is but I suppose these guitars have a slight metallic or non-woody sound, whatever that is. I have no idea what strings came on it, I bought it used a few years ago. Any ideas?
I don't think there is a general answer, not to mention that we all hear differently or have our own ideas of what constitutes a good sound. CA guitars are known to be on the darker side and I've heard that 80/20s sound good on them. Hopefully someone with direct experience can answer. Might have better luck too asking in the carbon fiber section.
Old 05-22-2022, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

I don't have a CA, but have the Sable, I have always thought that the CA's were very closely related to the McPhersons. May be wrong. Again. LOL So...from my experience with strings on the Sable Steelvibe is correct, I find the Elixir HD Nano's to sound best on it. 80/20 or regular will have to be decided by you. The D'Addario NB's weren't bad either, a bit more mellow than the Elixirs, especially after 3 or 4 weeks. Other than that, I haven't found any other strings that I liked. And I tried a lot of them! Let us know what you find.
Old 05-22-2022, 01:31 PM

On my CA GX, I like DR Rares. As always YMMV.
Old 05-22-2022, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

On my Rainsong CH-OM, I really like Martin Monels. To my ear, they warm up the high end nicely.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 05-22-2022, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

I use John Pearse #710 PB New Mediums on both my RainSongs. I tried some 80/20 JP Lights on the Black Ice dread but it was too bright. Definitely better with PB's.
Old 05-22-2022, 07:42 PM

When I had my CA GX, after some experimentation, John Pearse 80/20s worked for me by a long shot.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 05-22-2022, 08:42 PM

I like Martin Retro Monel strings on my CA dreadnoughts.
Besides sounding good, the silver color looks good with the black carbon fiber.
Old 06-25-2022, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Thomastik-Infeld Plectrum Acoustic
E-guitars: Turner Model 1, Fender Strat
Banjo: Gretsch
ukes: TK1, Harmony Smeck, banjo-uke
Old 06-25-2022, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I use John Pearse #710 PB New Mediums on both my RainSongs. I tried some 80/20 JP Lights on the Black Ice dread but it was too bright. Definitely better with PB's.
Update to my post above - I recently changed the strings on my RainSong Nashville OM Shorty and for grins I tried the 80/20 JP Lights on that. My thought process was that, unlike the Black Ice dread (which is a very bright guitar), the Nashville with it's hybrid spruce/CF top tends to be a little quieter and darker and so the 80/20's might brighten up the sound. They do. But I do miss the tension of the JP New Mediums so I might some of those in 80/20 on the next string change. So I guess it depends on if your CF guitar tends to be brighter and jangly (PB) or darker and mellow (80/20).
Old 06-27-2022, 03:00 AM

I think Elixir Nano has a strong character which made carbon fiber gutiar sound like a wooden one. However, there still a lot of options for us to discover.
I'm now using Martin SP, not the best I would say, but probably the highest CP value. I can stick a set with 2 months. Next time I'll try EXP, but need to finish the remain stock of Martin SP first.

Noted that a bit larger guage strings suit carbon fiber guitar better. I used to play 12-53 in standard E tuning with wooden guitar. But 13-56 with half step detune suit my CF guitar better. But that may only happen in my Leviora. Yours may vary.

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 07-01-2022, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Yeah, I use John Pearse 700 PBs on both my Emerald X20 and Journey OF660. They add nice warmth and are pretty inexpensive so easy to try a set.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber