The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 09:27 AM

Really neat to hear the logic and see the process behind these custom tuning pins. Fantastic looking and certainly they must make the guitar have better tone!

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 04-03-2019, 10:44 AM

Hey Mark,
I for one am following along and soaking this up like a sponge. Thanks for taking the time to go through some of your processes. Your attention to detail and use of wood amazes me. Not to mention your photographs. Thanks
Travis
Old 04-04-2019, 04:31 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
Really neat to hear the logic and see the process behind these custom tuning pins. Fantastic looking and certainly they must make the guitar have better tone!
Thanks ukejon, While the obvious advantage is working with the looks of the guitar, having improved control tuning the strings certainly is an advantage to the sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEK View Post
Hey Mark,
I for one am following along and soaking this up like a sponge. Thanks for taking the time to go through some of your processes. Your attention to detail and use of wood amazes me. Not to mention your photographs. Thanks
Travis
Thanks Travis, If you make something that pretty much looks like a guitar out of woods that are usually used to make guitars it will probably pretty much sound like a guitar. From there how good that guitar sounds and how comfortable it is to play compared to other guitars is all in the details.

Thanks for commenting,
Mark

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 04-04-2019, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Wonderful stuff, Mark--thanks for all the insights into your process!

All these awesome little details combine to truly make your guitars the works of art that they are!

I really hope to get to play one some day...
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 04-04-2019, 11:59 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Wonderful stuff, Mark--thanks for all the insights into your process!

All these awesome little details combine to truly make your guitars the works of art that they are!

I really hope to get to play one some day...
Your welcome Nemoman. You’ll have to tell me what you think when the opportunity arises to play one of my guitars. It’s easy to show what my guitars look like on the forum. It’s harder to show how they sound and a whole lot harder to show playability.
Thanks for commenting,
Mark

Steven Wright
Old 04-05-2019, 10:29 AM

Mark,
Thanks for sharing all of the background on your design thoughts and processes. While I find all of your threads fascinating and inspiring, I found this part to be even more inspiring. I'm going to take a crack at some wood tuner buttons as I've always liked using wood ones but have been limited by what's commercially available for the 510s.

Many thanks for taking the time to make all of these great posts.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:10 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffStGermaine View Post
Mark,
Thanks for sharing all of the background on your design thoughts and processes. While I find all of your threads fascinating and inspiring, I found this part to be even more inspiring. I'm going to take a crack at some wood tuner buttons as I've always liked using wood ones but have been limited by what's commercially available for the 510s.

Many thanks for taking the time to make all of these great posts.
Thanks GeoffStGermaine, I think offering custom buttons is a great option and adds just another reason for someone to buy from a custom builder.

Mark

Steven Wright
Old 04-06-2019, 08:43 PM

It's the myriad of little touches that you add that helps make your creations so special. Tuner knobs are a good example of this, something you wouldn't normally expect, but they contribute to completing a perfect look.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
It's the myriad of little touches that you add that helps make your creations so special. Tuner knobs are a good example of this, something you wouldn't normally expect, but they contribute to completing a perfect look.
Thanks for your comments! Guitars offer so many opportunities for creativity. It makes my work a true pleasure!

Steven Wright
Old 04-07-2019, 02:42 PM
AGF Sponsor

Really fine work and such creativity. I down load many of your pics to my inspiration file.

I would like to see how you make that brass ferrule and I am curious how you treat the recess in the peghead where the tuner washers rest. Do you finish those surfaces so that the washers are over the finish, or is that area bare with washers resting on wood. Ive tried it both ways and was not really satisfied with either.
Old 04-07-2019, 04:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
Really fine work and such creativity. I down load many of your pics to my inspiration file.

I would like to see how you make that brass ferrule and I am curious how you treat the recess in the peghead where the tuner washers rest. Do you finish those surfaces so that the washers are over the finish, or is that area bare with washers resting on wood. Ive tried it both ways and was not really satisfied with either.
I'm complimented to have pictures in your inspiration file, thanks for saying that. I'll send you a PM this week about how I make those ferules but, only if you write back with any better ways you come up with

The recess is finished. My reasoning is dust doesn't build up as easily in the recess when it has finish.

Steven Wright
Old 04-08-2019, 12:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks Mark
Old 04-20-2019, 12:47 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Fiddleback Tree Guitar

Here are a couple pictures of the Greta Fiddleback Tree guitar with the first gloss coat on:

Steven Wright
Old 04-20-2019, 03:14 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Here are a couple pictures of the Greta Fiddleback Tree guitar with the first gloss coat on:

Mark, This wood looked amazing without finish. Now, it is spectacular and is not even under full finish at that. The vertical banding on each half of the back adds interest and I like how balanced the flame figure is between the back and sides. For me of all the beautiful woods to chose from, comparing all the top sets, a top Fiddleback Mahogany for me would be at the top of my list. I noteiced quite a few really nice sets being used recently, so others must have the same feeling.

I can imagine that you must feel a little bit of frustration, knowing what you have when you purchase a special set like this and then having to wait until someone decides that they want you to build with it. Likely this is mitigated somewhat by your builds in general. Still, it must be an itch that you really can't scratch at times ... lol 😎

2018 Michaud OO-R
2012 Webber Dreadnaught *SOLD*
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
1979 Yamaha FG375S (retired)
1974 Norman B30 (retired)
Old 04-20-2019, 03:49 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBKuz View Post
Mark, This wood looked amazing without finish. Now, it is spectacular and is not even under full finish at that. The vertical banding on each half of the back adds interest and I like how balanced the flame figure is between the back and sides. For me of all the beautiful woods to chose from, comparing all the top sets, a top Fiddleback Mahogany for me would be at the top of my list. I noteiced quite a few really nice sets being used recently, so others must have the same feeling.

I can imagine that you must feel a little bit of frustration, knowing what you have when you purchase a special set like this and then having to wait until someone decides that they want you to build with it. Likely this is mitigated somewhat by your builds in general. Still, it must be an itch that you really can't scratch at times ... lol 😎
Thanks IBKuz, The top does look good at this stage with only the beginning of the gloss, shot with an Ipad, and under bad light. We're seeing a number of these sets out recently because they are mostly coming from a single source. The Fiddleback Tree produced about 400 sets which got snatched up quickly.

The list of guitars and wood sets I would love to build with is growing faster than how fast I build guitars. I hope to keep it at this pace till the day I die. What could be better than that?

Thank you for commenting
Mark

Steven Wright
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop