The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-22-2024, 11:57 AM

Default How Many New Acoustic Finger Picking Songs To Learn at One Time

I am a intermediate player. I have about 8 fun fingerpicking songs memorized and play them pretty good, at least for my family audience, but I have 6 great fingerpicking songs I want to learn. All at the intermediate level. Don't want to be overwhelmed trying to learn too many songs at once. My thoughts are to start out with two, play them fluently, then tackle the next two. Any thoughts from anyone that's been down this road before would be appreciated.
Old 04-22-2024, 12:01 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

It varies for me, but typically I will focus on one at a time. I tend to repeat, repeat, repeat if I hit something that is particularly challenging. I like to get one thing nailed before moving on, but sometimes it's also good to flip to something else for a while. So, for me, it's mostly one at a time, but almost never more than two...
Old 04-22-2024, 12:02 PM

Only your brain can tell you what's too much, but I generally don't mind having 2-3 pots on the stove at a time.

If these are tunes you're needing to memorize note for note, you might need to cut back depending on what you find you can retain.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 04-22-2024, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Cox View Post
I am a intermediate player. I have about 8 fun fingerpicking songs memorized and play them pretty good, at least for my family audience, but I have 6 great fingerpicking songs I want to learn. All at the intermediate level. Don't want to be overwhelmed trying to learn too many songs at once. My thoughts are to start out with two, play them fluently, then tackle the next two. Any thoughts from anyone that's been down this road before would be appreciated.
Hi Brad
They all get 'introduced' one at a time, and then as one develops I introduce the subsequent ones. I have had strings of them 4-5 songs long in various stages.

Mine go through stages:
  1. New and learning
  2. Arranged and starting techniques
  3. Not ready for prime time, but ok for my wife & gigging partner (they add advice)
  4. Performable, but not finalized
  5. Tweaked
  6. Introduced in public
  7. Revised - go back to the arranged stage…

I'm not sure what I do would work for you. I've been playing more than 60 years and have a process that developed and grew with me over decades.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-23-2024, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

I like to have 3 on the go. Tends to be one that I am learning/starting out with. One that I can get through but stumbling in parts if not everywhere and one that is coming up to scratch.

Ideally the one I am learning moves through that progression, and ends up in my repertoire.

However if I get stuck or bored I will abandon ship and go to something else, and I may return to whatever I got stuck on in the future.

I probably devote about 50% of my playing time to learning new stuff and 50% to playing through my repertoire.
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)
Old 04-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I have been having a good time working on a couple of harder tunes for my skill level and at the same time play through a bunch of easier tunes. When my hand is too tired to work on the harder stuff I can still play the easier things forever.

Lately I have been playing easier things from 50 Easy Classical Pieces and in between the easy stuff I have been also working on Evocation (2nd part is hard for me), Steve Howe's Mood for a Day (resurrected from a 48 odd year layoff), Lagrima Prelude by Tarrega and Sor's Study In B Minor.

I also have other things to work on by Marianne Vedral, Wolfgang Vedral and other finger style players like Stephen Wake, Lance Allen, and Masaaki Kishibe, but I don't want to overreach things.

Since my stroke back in 2017 it has been very difficult for me to memorize anything, but I managed to memorize Lagrima and Evocation is coming along too. Things that I had memorized prior to the stroke (Mood For a Day, etc) stuck around luckily.

I think working on multiple tunes is the most rewarding, keeps you fresh and interested in the hobby.

Aria:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk
Old 04-23-2024, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

I wouldn't bother memorizing songs. If you can sight read tab or standard you can play hundreds of songs without having to memorize them. Learn some theory and work on your ear so that you can hear something and know what's going on rhythmically and harmonically. To me that's more beneficial than learning to play something by rote. .
Old 04-23-2024, 04:00 PM

There's not one right answer. We're all different. Do what makes sense to you.

And keep it fun.
Old 04-23-2024, 04:30 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose View Post
....... Learn some theory and work on your ear so that you can hear something and know what's going on rhythmically and harmonically. To me that's more beneficial than learning to play something by rote. .
That doesn't work with finger style.

Aria:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Old 04-23-2024, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
That doesn't work with finger style.
Does for me.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 04-23-2024, 08:23 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
Does for me.
I'm talking about good music TBR,

Aria:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Old 04-23-2024, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Cox View Post
Yes, learn to play what you are working on fluently. If that limits you to less pieces to work on so be it. You will progress faster this way to play with precision and feeling.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-26-2024, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

Brad, I am five years in - an easier "measure" for me than a measure of accomplishment. Like you, I am drawn to fingerstyle. And, over time, I have made progress with simpler songs with repetitive lines (eg. Green Green Rocky Road). And with songs I have written.

This week, I have been working on that classic, Vestapol, relying on various YT instructional vids. And what I have found, as I have in the past, is that my brain tells me when it has had enough - when I cannot seem to absorb any more, or cannot process a particular measure or two. And it gets frustrating. That is when I know it is time to stop or move on. And it is not at all unusual for me to come back the next day, and find that I go right through the roadblock and move forward. I think that the brain, at least mine, requires time to process what I throw at it. And it will do so in its own sweet time.

Enjoy the ride.

David
Old 04-26-2024, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
Does for me.
Does for me also. And most any banjo picker worth his salt.
Old 04-26-2024, 09:12 AM

Personally, I do one at a time. Depending on the level of difficulty I'll spend a week to 2 weeks learning and then memorizing the song before I move on to something else. All the while playing those songs I wish to maintain. I've found that I can only maintain 10 - 12 songs in memorization and playing proficiently at 1 time. That really depends on how much time you care to invest.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write