The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-05-2017, 03:53 AM

Default Old Harmony lowered action but ...

Now, the 5th string is buzzing from 10th fret upwards.
Should raise back the action a bit again?
Old 11-05-2017, 07:48 AM

There is more to getting a guitar to play well than simply raising or lowering the string height. If the strings are at, or near, a typical string height yet they buzz, the question is what is causing them to buzz? That is where the "repair" work should start.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:44 AM

Before lowering the action, there was no buzzing on any string any frets.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:53 AM

Absolutely. High action covers all the evils of poor fretwork.

We warned you about that in your other thread.... But it's worth the improved playability....

You will need to level and recrown the frets...
Old 11-05-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theleman View Post
Before lowering the action, there was no buzzing on any string any frets.
When you started, the strings were at twice a playable height: if you raise the strings high enough no guitar will buzz, ever. As you lower them, and they start to buzz, something isn't right. Unless you identify and correct that "something", you won't be able to lower them without their buzzing.

If you want an optimal string height, you need to determine what is preventing that and address it.

Likely, it is an issue with the geometry of the neck, fingerboard or frets. Investigation of those is to where your attention should be placed.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:28 AM

Or maybe there's a slight hump in the neck, through the effected area.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:54 AM

If there is hump on the neck, or problems with fret works, why buzz only on the 5th string and from 9th fret upwards?
Old 11-05-2017, 09:58 AM

I was rather thinking in terms of it may need a compensated saddle for the string.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:33 AM

It might, but sounds like you might have a fret that needs to be hammered back down or crowned properly, or maybe a hump in the neck. Without seeing it in person, it's hard to know. These are just simply things I've dealt with in the past. I know that once I had a B string buzzing or fretting out at the 12th fret only. Then I discovered it was in fact the 13th fret that was higher than the 12th. After trying to hammer down the 13th fret and polish it, I discovered that the fingerboard needed to be leveled, there was a small hump, right where it met the body. I opted for a complete leveling and refret job. Problem solved.

Also with the oncoming colder weather, these problems can show themselves somewhat more obviously.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:34 AM

Possibly because the geometry of the fretboard is wrong, you have too much relief, and you lowered the saddle, causing that string to actually slap against the end of the fretboard. Or you simply have a high fret, but methinks it's the former...
Old 11-05-2017, 10:38 AM

Maybe the nut was worn (strings low) and lowering the saddle now makes the bad nut obvious. Consider a shim or replacement nut, while leaving the saddle where it is.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:39 AM

Yep, relief can play a BIG part in the whole buzzing thing too. You should probably eyeball that neck first and see where your relief is.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theleman View Post
If there is hump on the neck, or problems with fret works, why buzz only on the 5th string and from 9th fret upwards?

I was rather thinking in terms of it may need a compensated saddle for the string.
We don't know the answer to first point above, unless we are to see the guitar. Maybe the saddle is low on the 5th string, but likely there is something happening with geometry (as Charles mentioned). Could be frets lifting, could be fingerboard hump...

And your second point... A compensated saddle has NOTHING to do with fret buzz. It is about intonation.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 11-06-2017, 09:34 AM

I'd say the chance is near 100% thet this old Harmony has neck angle issues.

We don't often reset necks on instruments in this value range, but that is likely to be what it "needs" to restore playability.

Take some time to go through the BUZZ DIAGNOSIS PAGES for some interesting info.

And, a bit on CHECKING NECK ANGLE

Frank Ford
Old 11-06-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Milburn View Post
We don't know the answer to first point above, unless we are to see the guitar. Maybe the saddle is low on the 5th string, but likely there is something happening with geometry (as Charles mentioned). Could be frets lifting, could be fingerboard hump...

And your second point... A compensated saddle has NOTHING to do with fret buzz. It is about intonation.
Yes, I looked at the saddle carefully, and somehow it is lower than other parts at 5th string position.

Last edited by Theleman; 11-06-2017 at 01:59 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair