The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-02-2017, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

Default StewMac Lacquer

Has anyone used StewMac rattle can lacquer? I'm wondering if the atomization is decent. I recently used some Deft rattle can lacquer and the pushbutton was different than others I've seen and the spray pattern from the pushbutton was very nice. The spray pattern was even adjustable.

But, I've used other rattle can spray paints where the atomization and spray pattern were terrible.

I'm wondering which camp the StewMac lacquer falls in.

Anybody tried it?
Old 11-02-2017, 05:01 PM

I've used StewMac rattle can lacquer (on electrics) and it's been fine for me, though I suggest you follow the recommendation of warming up the can (in warm water) before spraying, because as with any aerosol, you get a finer mist and no spitting that way. I forget if StewMac comes with adjustable spray heads, or if you have to buy them separately, but I use those to get the spray distribution I want. I have had mixed results with Deft, and can't say if it's the product or me that causes that. My go-to choice, though, is Guitar ReRanch nitro. I don't know the differences in the formulation (if any) for these products, but for some reason, the ReRanch stuff gives me hard, thin coats, and no spatter, spitting, drips, or runs. I suspect that many of us end up using whichever product ends up performing best with whatever hand motion we tend to use. For me, ReRanch is #1, but StewMac is good stuff, too. Good luck with your finishing.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:00 PM

Check out Mohawks website. They make all kinds of finish's. I believe they also make the lacquer that has the Behlen label that Stewmac sells.
Mohawk also has a guitar finishing package they sell as well.
If you buy your aerosol cans direct from Mohawk you'll pay about half of what you'd pay buying from a retailer. I've used Mohawks aerosols with great success.
I now buy their Stringed Instrument lacquer and their Piano lacquer. I mix them and use on my guitars with a gravity fed spray gun.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:23 PM

I've used it on several guitars and it gets the job done just fine. Definitely warm them up in a hot water bath. It makes a BIG difference. I think I just saw something in one of SM's too many marketing emails that they have some sort of adapter for the rattle cans that has a better spray pattern, I never used it though. In the end it's a decent lacquer but it's in a can. So you can spray enough layers on but it will require more rub out work.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair