The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 09-29-2017, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Default $200 Reduction! A few great Martins (Vintage, icluding Brazilian and "Recent")

5/27/18 UPDATE: $200 PRICE REDUCTION!

I will be out of the country and without internet or phone connection from 6/1 to 6/12, so if you are interested in making some kind of offer/trade deal, let's talk now, as I would need to ship by this coming Thursday.

Housecleaning continues, as I count down to retirement! This is the first wave of what will likely be 20 or so guitars up for sale over the next couple years. I have bought and sold many, many guitars here and on the UMGF over the past 15 years, and I believe that all of those transactions were pleasant, successful and even (a few) were FUN! So, with that said...

First up--a beautiful 1951 Martin 000-28. All original, save for a light overspray on the top and a new pickguard, and i assume new bridge and saddle...done some time ago by a prior owner. The guitar is in excellent condition, including the beautiful Brazilian back and sides, where there are no cracks or seam separations--just some very minor wear. This is a wonderful example of a 66 year old vintage Martin, that also plays and sounds fantastic. Similar Martins of this vintage , without the overspray, have sold in the $9,000 to $12,000 range. Price for this beauty is now $7295 insured and delivered anywhere CONUS in a great, vintage geib-style faux brown alligator TKL case.

Next--- Martin 00-17 (1951). All original. Light surface scratching. Great guitar. $3500, with OHSC, in great shape too. Both this one and the above 000-28 are my birthyear guitars, but I also have a favorite D-18 from '51, and that will be my birthyear keeper.

Now---. Martin D-35S Brazilian Conversion. Started out its life as a 1969 D35-12. I had John Hall (Blues Creek Guitars) work his magic on it, with a new neck and slotted headstock (with abalone Torch), a torrefied Adirondack top with herringbone, Adi braces (ala 1937), hide glue, and an abalone rosette that goes THROUGH the fretboard, like the John Mayer Stagecoach model (00-42SC). Beautiful landscaped Brazilian Rosewood back and sides. Near mint, with Martin 540 Geib-style case. $5500. REDUCED to $5250

And--- D28-12 (1975). Looking for that great 12-string, without breaking the bank? This guitar is in excellent condition, needs nothing, and MAY be the best sounding 12’er of the six I own. (But it does not fit any of my “collector criteria”)! $1875. Reduced to $1750!

Next--- a pair of Parrothead delieghts! First, the HD18-JB. The days of these going for over 6k are gone—fortunately for you, if you’ve been craving this gorgeous looking, angelic sounding Jimmy Buffet dred. Excellent condition—just a couple of tiny, nearly imperceptible top dings keeping it from “mint”. $4750. And...a 000-JB Pollywog. Beautiful, near mint 12-fret triple 0. About as good a player, and as wonderful tone as you can find. $3250. Want them both? $7750 firm. UPDATE: 000-JBS is SOLD

And finally (for now) a D-28 John Lennon 75th Anniversary Limited Edition. This is the Madi/Adi blinged out version, in mint condition. $8250
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________

I can certainly email you many photos of any of these guitars if you are interested--just send me a PM or email. I will also post additional pix when I take some new ones.

I'm going to set a flat fee of $65 ground FedEx shipping (anywhere CONUS) for each guitar. If I can ship for less to your location, I will reimburse the difference. Local pick-up/delivery would obviously avoid shipping fees and hassle!

Trades? Not my first choice, but let me know if you have something real interesting. (Prefer Martins!)

All AGF policies apply. Please PM or email me with any questions.

Last edited by sixxstringer; 05-27-2018 at 09:33 AM. Reason: title change
Old 10-02-2017, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Here are a few pix of the D35S Conversion. Please note that the dark areas of the Brazilian landscape back are not as pronounced as they appear in the flash photo shot. I am working on getting some natural light photos to show a more accurate representation..

Old 10-06-2017, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Bump for the weekend.

Will consider trade offers (Martins only, please)
Old 10-10-2017, 04:35 PM

I'm gonna bump this so's I don't lose track of that 12-string...
Old 10-28-2017, 10:18 PM
Charter Member

So, i have been preoccupied and out of the loop for the past couple weeks. Time to push this up to the top and see if there is any new interest.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:44 AM

Bumping to keep my finger on the pulse of that 12 string...
Old 05-20-2018, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Bringing this back up from a few months ago. I have bought and sold a number of other guitars recently, and the Pollywog is also sold, the others are available. Since i am now officially retired, I will have more time to devote to my guitar addiction!
Old 05-21-2018, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Have an interest in that beautiful 000-28, but concerned about the "overspray"? Take a look at this photo, then send me a PM...we can chat!

Old 05-23-2018, 09:38 AM

ok, i'll ask both questions "EVERYONE" is asking...

1. why did you write those numbers on the top of your lovely guitar, and

2. what the heck does it all mean?

(yes, just kidding about #1, but really would like more info about #2--mostly for curiosity sake)
Old 05-25-2018, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Sorry for not seeing your post earlier, D45.

The numbers written onto the PHOTO of the soundboard represent the thickness of the top at about 2 dozen key points across the top. These were determined by use of a “sonar”-type machine created for this very purpose, and used to assess the originality of vintage Martin tops that have been refinished, to determine how much of the soundboard has been sanded down. The results of this analysis shows that this top has like NOT been sanded (or at most, just barely enough to hold the overspray)...as original top thickness for early 50’s Martins ranged from .106 to .115, which is the range for this top. For any one interested in further verification of this, i can share with you the original email from the gentleman who did this analysis (and countless others for Martin guitars)
Old 05-27-2018, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

$200 PRICE REDUCTION!

I will be out of the country and without internet or phone connection from 6/1 to 6/12, so if you are interested in making some kind of offer/trade deal, let's talk now, as I would need to ship by this coming Thursday.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

PM sent just now
Old 06-14-2018, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

I’m back from my vacation, and ready to do a deal! PMs replied to...
Old 07-04-2018, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

HD18-JB is on a 3-day hold

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars