The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-07-2017, 07:27 AM

Default tool for setting a patch below the bridge

I'm curious - in instances where the soundboard is splitting below the bridge, that is between the bridge and tail block - what sort of tool can you use to set a patch? Since most folks cannot reach back in there far enough to do this by hand some sort of tool must be used. A bridge clamp won't be long enough. I have a large set of dividers that could reach back there, but then how do you clamp it?
Old 11-07-2017, 08:55 AM

Rare Earth magnets are one option. Another is a popsicle like brace/prop. A third is using hide glue that can probably be effectively used without clamping.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:37 AM

Most often, I use a bit of double stick tape to hold the patch on the clamp end, apply glue to the patch, feed it through the soundhole and clamp it up.

For reaching WAY down there, I use my "take-apart" clamp - here's a link to the article I did when I developed the prototype around 15 years ago:

LONG REACH CLAMP

And here it is on LMI's site, with a link to more of my photos and a video by Robert O'Brien:

ARTICULATED CLAMP

Frank Ford
Old 11-07-2017, 10:22 AM

Nice work Frank. How fortunate you are to have a machine shop at your disposal as well as a full wood shop. Some folks just know how to live right I guess!
Old 11-07-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
I'm curious - in instances where the soundboard is splitting below the bridge, that is between the bridge and tail block - what sort of tool can you use to set a patch?
Are we referring to the top splitting at the join, if so, putting a cleat across the gap will not fix your issue, you have to address the main cause first.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair