The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-27-2019, 04:02 PM

Default Ernie Ball aluminum bronze plus a GS mini Koa = WOW!

I know that I have been raving about Bourgeois guitars A lot lately, but Today I got out my GS mini Koa that I recently re-strung With Ernie Ball aluminum bronze mediums to practice a song for church. All I can say is wow! The aluminum bronze strings turn this little guitar into a monster! I had forgotten what fun little guitars the GS mini’s can be! Unbelievably clean tone and so much volume for such a small bodied guitar. I have played a 1 11/16 nut for a long time with my 810 so that doesn’t bother me at all and I’m really used to the shorter scale from my Bourgeois. I do believe the mini will be getting a lot more play time at my house! This is another total success for Ernie Ball aluminum bronze strings with guitars in my home.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 04-27-2019, 05:12 PM

Would you classify these strings as warm or bright sounding. I have never tried them but they seem to get a lot of love around here
Old 04-27-2019, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

I love them on my GS7 (cedar/rosewood). It sounds like its on steroids... so i put it to use for the kids at my church's worship services for them. Lots of volume and great tone!

6 string... Taylor GS7 Custom / GO 818e 1st Edition

12 string... Taylor GO 358e / Guild F512 (79)

Baritone…. Guild 258e (8 string)
Old 04-27-2019, 06:22 PM

I wouldn’t classify it as bright. It’s louder has way more bottom end and makes the guitar sound more like a full size versus a three-quarter size. They will definitely be staying on this guitar from now on. When I put the aluminum bronze on my 810 which has rosewood back and sides they made it sound real ringy. On the mini they sound like the perfect strings to bring out a super clear tone from the guitar.

Old 04-27-2019, 08:56 PM

They are definitely louder, some of the loudest strings I've used. They have very good tone on certain guitars but can be bad on others- but that is true of almost any string. I also love the way they can put some punch in smaller body guitars. They were good on my D Jr.2 but they are downright sweet on my OF660.

Do they turn your hands nasty black though?
Old 04-27-2019, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
They are definitely louder, some of the loudest strings I've used. They project! I also love the way they can put some punch in smaller body guitars. They were good on my D Jr.2 but they are sweet on my OF660.

Do they turn your hands nasty black though?
They don’t. I’ve used them on several guitars and never had that happen.

Old 04-27-2019, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
They don’t. I’ve used them on several guitars and never had that happen.
Odd- they really did turn mine black. I will say that I typically use Dr. Stringfellow string cleaner and maybe they didn't like that? I used them on other guitars without the Stringfellow, and while I had a bit of blackness on my fingertips, nothing like you see in the first post of this thread:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...luminum+Bronze

I loved them enough on my OF660 I might give them another chance but only wipe them down next time.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
Would you classify these strings as warm or bright sounding. I have never tried them but they seem to get a lot of love around here
They're warmer than D'Add NB, but slightly less warm than PB. I have them on my 3/4 travel guitar b/c they sound great and last a long time.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:14 PM

If you have a GS Mini Koa, you’ve got to give these aluminum bronze medium strings a try. The only thing I’ve done to my Mini is swap out the plastic bridge pins for ebony ones and That was a great tone change. These strings have totally changed the sound of this guitar. It sounds so much bigger now that they’ve settled in and would easily fool people into thinking they were listening to a full-size guitar if they couldn’t see it. Now if I could figure out how to round off those sharp body edges on the lower bout, I’d have the PERFECT small guitar.

Old 05-04-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
If you have a GS Mini Koa, you’ve got to give these aluminum bronze medium strings a try. The only thing I’ve done to my Mini is swap out the plastic bridge pins for ebony ones and That was a great tone change. These strings have totally changed the sound of this guitar. It sounds so much bigger now that they’ve settled in and would easily fool people into thinking they were listening to a full-size guitar if they couldn’t see it. Now if I could figure out how to round off those sharp body edges on the lower bout, I’d have the PERFECT small guitar.
I know what you mean regarding the sharp edges on the lower bout. I really wish Taylor would have put binding on just the top edge, I realize this was a cost cutting measure.

I sanded my edges down to a slight radius then applied some Danish Oil, works a charm. I have a woodworking background so I'm not afraid to just jump in and try something.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:25 AM

Question Ernie Ball Aluminium strings!

Quote:
I know that I have been raving about Bourgeois guitars A lot lately, but Today I got out my GS mini Koa that I recently re-strung With Ernie Ball aluminum bronze mediums to practice a song for church. All I can say is wow! The aluminum bronze strings turn this little guitar into a monster! I had forgotten what fun little guitars the GS mini’s can be! Unbelievably clean tone and so much volume for such a small bodied guitar. I have played a 1 11/16 nut for a long time with my 810 so that doesn’t bother me at all and I’m really used to the shorter scale from my Bourgeois. I do believe the mini will be getting a lot more play time at my house! This is another total success for Ernie Ball aluminum bronze strings with guitars in my home.
Will give Ernie Ball Aluminium strings a try in the near future. Are they cheaper than Elixir PB Nanoweb?
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 05-04-2019, 09:47 AM

I put a set on a new Eastman 00 that has an Adirondack top. After a couple days they have really blossomed and tamed the slightly harsh tone of the new top. Very full and rich sounding with nice volume. I selected light gauge for this guitar.

Very pleased with the guitar, as before finding these strings, I was not very happy with the sound. And MUCH cheaper than the Elixir strings.

Roger
Old 05-04-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
They're warmer than D'Add NB, but slightly less warm than PB. I have them on my 3/4 travel guitar b/c they sound great and last a long time.

That's what I'm going to try them on. Did you do 12's?
Old 05-04-2019, 09:57 AM

I have these on Larrivee OM-09 in standard EADGBE, Taylor GS-5 in DADGAD and Guild F-30 in CGDGAD : Love them !
0,012 on the Larrivée but 0,013 on the Taylor and Guild.

I did not notice any black fingertips until I recently tried them on the Loar ! :-(
Old 05-04-2019, 10:52 AM

I went with 13-56’s on my mini due to me already experimenting with lights on it and losing all capability to capo up the neck and not have serious tuning issues. They are cheaper than Elixirs and sound a LOT BETTER!! I’ve been playing the Mini this morning and these strings have renewed my love for this guitar A LOT! I’m taking it to church tomorrow to play and can’t wait to hear it through our new digital board!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion