The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-22-2020, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I don't know if this applies but I had a friend that came into some big money. After several years he was getting used to it so he bought his wife a Mercedes. Because he wanted her to have one. Then he found out that she was going out of her way to protect it by walking a block to the mall entrance and that sort of thing. He thought that was ridiculous so to not be outdone he took it back. He found out they would only give him about half of what it was worth from when he bought it a week ago or so. So he took it back home and told his wife it wasn't worth that much so now the price was down where she felt comfortable driving it. True story.
Forget Martin, I'll get 1 Santa Cruz, 1 Olson, 1 McConnell, and 1 Burgeois guitar
Old 09-25-2020, 06:20 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
This whole post and people thinking this guitar is ridiculously overpriced is really bothering you, I see! It’s not too rich for my blood, it’s the fact that I work hard for my money and if I spend big money on something, I want to get my worth out of it. That why I wear Citizen watches versus Breitling. As bad as I want one, I don’t see spending the extra money when my $500 watch tells the time just as accurately. I’m allowed to feel the way I do. By the way, a C7 Z06 is the route I’d go over the Grand Sport!
It's not "bothering" me at all. I am simply stating that calling any luxury good "overpriced" is a fool's errand. By the very nature of "luxury" goods, they are EXPENSIVE. Where you (and others) get in trouble is trying to put a "value" on something that does not represent "value". It's lineage, rarity, reputation are what set the price.

Clearly, you're never going to see my way of thinking on this nor am I going to see yours, so here's to both of us and I hope one day we can both have so much liquid CASH that we can entertain, if only for a moment, an $80K guitar from ANYONE.

PS. I was trying to make the Ferrari owners not feel so bad (which I'm sure they don't anyway!) by using the C7 Grand Sport. Using the C7 Z06 is just piling on!!!!
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 09-26-2020, 12:18 PM

It's a collectors item and should not be viewed as simply a music making tool when assessing value. Martin will sell all of these guitars. While they are not marketed towards musicians primarily, there is definitely a market for them.
Kostal Jumbo
Taran Tirga Mhor
Gerber RL15.5
Old 09-26-2020, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

If you look at any product, especially luxury items, you will find a price tier that if you really want one, an average joe could buy one. That basic Rolex, the $200 bottle of fine single malt scotch, a Baretta over/under 12 gauge shotgun, or a Martin Authentic.

But the very rich don't want that. They need to have things even the fairly well off can't afford. They are willing to spend well over what something is worth for the I can afford it, you can't factor.

So we get San Simeon, and Rockefeller's summer place that became Grand Tetons National Park, the Hermitage, The Pyramids, that sort of thing. An $80,000 guitar is a much smaller purchase. Peanuts really. Somewhere there is a guy whose friend just bought a $40,000 pre war Martin. This does keep a lot of people in business.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 09-26-2020, 03:23 PM

The sad thing is, that it probably doesn’t sound much different to a Alvarez MAF 70 guitar that cost about $700 new. Martin is way out of reality with their prices.
1999 Martin D-2R
2018 Martin Dreadnought Jr.
2015 Breedlove American Series D/SSe
1997 Alvarez 2551- 12 Silver Anniversary
Old 09-26-2020, 08:03 PM

^^^^
Oh come on...that's just ridiculous.
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 09-27-2020, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhodgeh View Post
I took the Behind The Scenes tour at the Martin factory last year.

The guide started talking about tonewood, and I asked how much Brazilian Rosewood they had left, and the dude jokingly told me that he would have to kill me if he told me. He then went on to say that if you want Brazilian for a new build these days, you are looking at least a $20K-$30K up charge.

We also went back into where there wood is stored, and in one corner, (one of only two places we could not take photos), was the area where the kept the premium woods. The stack of Brazilian Rosewood was one of the smallest they had.

So, while terribly expensive, I'm not totally shocked by the price.

Oh, in case you are interested, the other area we could not photo was a wall of 1500 guitars in cases that the guide told us was Chris's private collection. Still don't know what the reasons for no photos there was about.

Update: Found my photo of the guitar these are modeled after.....

D
I am curious- how small was the stack of Brazilian? How many guitars can they build with what’s in that stack?

Martin OM28 (European Spruce/EIR)
Collings OM3A (Adirondack/EIR)
Greven OOO (Lutz/Brazilian)
Greven OO (Lutz/Maple)
ARK Senorita S6-12 (Adirondack/Mahogany)
Circa OOO-12 (European Spruce/Mun Ebony)
Old 09-27-2020, 11:24 AM

I think I've figured it out. The whole purpose of this guitar is to sell more $9000 D-45s by making them look relatively cheap.
Old 09-27-2020, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bho View Post
I am curious- how small was the stack of Brazilian? How many guitars can they build with what’s in that stack?
Hard to remember, we were not in there that long.

Maybe 3-4 feet, compared to 6 -10 for other stacks. And I don't know just how deep the bins were.

D
Old 09-27-2020, 02:59 PM

I was actually thinking of buying one of these, but my max budget is exactly $80,000... So since there is sales tax, I can't buy it...
Gibson G-45 Studio
Martin X1-DE
Washburn WP21SNS
Taylor 110
Mitchell D120
Old 09-27-2020, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

If you go to this page: https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/

... and click on the "brazilian rosewood" filter, you can see
that they have several guitars in that price range, one particularly
ugly one is $150,000!

They state: "rare pre-CITES Brazilian rosewood"

One of the ones is a nice looking d-28 for $20,000 ...

-Mike
Old 09-27-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeisen93 View Post
I was actually thinking of buying one of these, but my max budget is exactly $80,000... So since there is sales tax, I can't buy it...
It's your lucky day. Maury has one within your budget: $69,999.

https://maurysmusic.com/inc/sdetail/...0/36857/175852

You're welcome.
Old 09-27-2020, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Rockefeller's summer place that became Grand Tetons National Park
I agree with what you are saying and think if Martin can get that price for those guitars more power to em'

Actually the history of creation of Teton Park is an interesting episode in the nations and Wyomings history.
Technically the Rockefeller's have donated significant land holdings to "enlarge" Teton National Park, not actually completely create it . Originally Rockefeller bought some 35,000 acres anonymously which was finally discovered and raised a big backlash with the locals for awhile . The Parkway theat connects Teton and Yellowstone parks was donated Rockefeller property.
And then finally the JY Ranch some 3100 acres in total (which was the actual Rockefeller summer home) the last parcel of which was donated in 2001.

A funny anecdote :
When I first moved to Jackson Hole while working in a stereo and record shop in 1981 , I helped Lawerence Rockefeller (whom I did not know and who looked and acted like anybody's modestly retired grandpa Joe, worn blue jeans, old shoes and lightweight poplin jacket and who was very personable) ,, anyway I helped him pick out about 20 + Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab "Original Master Recording LP's " to the tune of about $500 + dollars and he said charge it to the JY Ranch (also did know what that was) so I went to the office and told the owner '"Hey some old guy wants to charge 20+ Master disks to the JY account ? " the owner stands up looks out the window that overlooked the store and said "If he wants to charge the entire store to the JY write it up,,,, that's Lawerence Rockefeller "

And yes the wealth differential some have, does stretch the imagination of ordinary folk.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 09-27-2020 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-27-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcapsc View Post
If you go to this page: https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/

... and click on the "brazilian rosewood" filter, you can see
that they have several guitars in that price range, one particularly
ugly one is $150,000!

They state: "rare pre-CITES Brazilian rosewood"

One of the ones is a nice looking d-28 for $20,000 ...

-Mike

I actually think that $150,000 one looks cool! Two of my favorite things are watches and guitars!
Gibson G-45 Studio
Martin X1-DE
Washburn WP21SNS
Taylor 110
Mitchell D120
Old 10-03-2020, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Four wheels, steering wheel, seat belts, engine, similar controls — and it got me to and from my destination. No analogy will be perfect, but I made my point about price differential for the same essential function. Nitpick all you want, but I feel no further desire to help if it only results in attacks. I’m out.
I don't know how you perceived that I was "attacking" you. If you did perceive that, that was not my intention.

I'm a bit of a "car guy", so I think that perhaps I have a greater appreciation for the difference between a corvette and a Subaru...An appreciation you clearly don't share

In any case my friend, no offence was intended.
2019 PRS Silver Sky

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion