The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-30-2020, 11:43 AM

Default Gibson provides the best variety

You want simplicity or bling, Gibson seems to provide these options.

MOP inlays, flower pots, banners on the headstock, plain pickguards, ornate pickguards, reverse belly bridges, mustache bridges, pyramid bridges.

The only thing I can't stand is a Taylor style bridge

MGF
Old 08-30-2020, 12:08 PM

For a combination of design simplicity and incredible woods and remarkable bursts, Huss & Dalton's of the last few years are the most beautiful guitars I've seen.

Jeff Huss on a tour through some of his NAMM models. (First half of the video. The second half is about their new Les Paul type electric.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHNxpOWPY9U
Old 08-30-2020, 12:47 PM

Taylor guitars look nice from the front, but the back of their headstocks, necks, and tuners look cheaply done in my opinion. Martin guitars have a nice all around classic look but you can find some extra polish left over on some guitars and some have binding that hasn’t quite matched up perfectly. So my vote would be Collings. They pull off the classic Martin look with a flawless performance every time that I’ve seen.
Old 08-30-2020, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
You didn't ask, but for electrics I'd say a Gibson ES-335 in cherry red.
A little off topic but I have to agree with you!

1969 Martin D-35 (Brazilian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2002 Taylor 355 12-string (Sapele/Sitka Spruce)
2014 Taylor 914ce (Indian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert (Myrtlewood)
2018 Taylor GS Mini (Walnut/Spruce)
2021 Taylor 326ce (Urban Ash/Mahogany)
2021 Kevin Ryan Paradiso (The Tree/Sinker Redwood)
2022 KaAloha KTM-10RP Ukulele (Koa)
Old 08-30-2020, 01:38 PM

Check out some guitars from Matons Messiah range.
Old 08-30-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinGibsonFan View Post
You want simplicity or bling, Gibson seems to provide these options.

MOP inlays, flower pots, banners on the headstock, plain pickguards, ornate pickguards, reverse belly bridges, mustache bridges, pyramid bridges.

The only thing I can't stand is a Taylor style bridge

MGF
Interesting that a couple posts have mentioned the Taylor bridge. Other than the angled ends it pretty much looks like the majority of bridges on acoustics. Bob Taylor opted for the angled ends to reduce stress risers at the corners that trigger cracks along the top grain of fine tone wood.

It's tough to factor in good engineering practice, but somebody had to do it!
Old 08-30-2020, 01:58 PM

The Angled Ends is exactly why I don't like that Taylor bridge design. Too many sharp edges as well. There's just no continuity in that bridge design.

There have been worst Taylor bridge designs in the 1970's that thank goodness have been abandoned.

https://reverb.com/news/a-brief-hist...ar-innovations

Really doesn't make a difference, I wouldn't buy a Taylor guitar if my life depended on it.

To each their own, thank goodness for preference.

I know not everyone is a Gibson or Martin fan, so, it's good to have diversity.

MGF
Old 08-30-2020, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

Beauty is of course in the eye of the beholder. For aesthetics alone my faves are...
For large manufacturers I like Gibson guitars

For small shops I like Santa Cruz guitars

For independent builders I like Sexauer guitars
Old 08-30-2020, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

My eyes enjoy about everything coming out of the Lowden shop these days
Old 08-30-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
Taylor guitars look nice from the front, but the back of their headstocks, necks, and tuners look cheaply done in my opinion.
I think Taylor's tuners could use an update. For instance, their 517/717 models are begging for Waverly tuners. Or, if they are insistent on not taking too much of a vintage-styled path, they could at least be putting the nicer sealed Gotoh tuners as standard fare on their 500+ stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Bob Taylor opted for the angled ends to reduce stress risers at the corners that trigger cracks along the top grain of fine tone wood.
That's interesting — I wasn't aware of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinGibsonFan View Post
The Angled Ends is exactly why I don't like that Taylor bridge design. Too many sharp edges as well. There's just no continuity in that bridge design.
I would not be at all surprised if Taylor moves to the softer lines in their Builder's Edition models as a standard over time.

That said, there's plenty of continuity in their current aesthetic. The bridge, headstock, truss rod cover, pickguard, and even their logo/wordmark all feel like they've been very intentionally designed together as a sum of parts. It may not be your personal preference, and it's a look I've moved a bit away from myself as well, but objectively speaking, they're at a point where they're as consistent as anyone in how they execute the visual hallmarks of their guitars.
Old 08-30-2020, 04:12 PM

As a country and western fan, I have to go with Gibson.
Martin: D-41 Reimagined (2019), 000-15SM (2018), OM-28 VTS Custom (2016), D-18 Golden Era (2014)
Taylor: K24ce Builder’s Edition (2020), K14c Cedar (1999)
Yamaha: CSF3M Parlor (2019)
Old 08-30-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
Taylor guitars look nice from the front, but the back of their headstocks, necks, and tuners look cheaply done in my opinion. Martin guitars have a nice all around classic look but you can find some extra polish left over on some guitars and some have binding that hasn’t quite matched up perfectly. So my vote would be Collings. They pull off the classic Martin look with a flawless performance every time that I’ve seen.

I’ve always liked the 3- piece backstrap on some LTD edition Taylor models. I love the bottom picture of the ‘08 Fall Ltd koa,cocobolo guitar I had. I loved the top picture of the ‘09 Spring Ltd model I had too, but would’ve preferred Gotoh tuners like the ‘08 model.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 08-30-2020, 09:18 PM

Pretty surprised no one mentioned Breedlove. They make beautiful, unique looking guitars which sound fantastic!
Old 08-31-2020, 06:09 AM

Default Taylor Living Jewels Series

https://www.guitargal.com/products/t...els-koi-guitar

I think there was at least one person out there who had the complete series...
Old 08-31-2020, 06:10 AM

I can and do appreciate a nice looking guitar, but if a particular guitar sounded amazing and felt great in my hands, I could give a rat's kneecap about how it looked. Within limits I guess . I can't remember if it was here or on another forum, but someone recently posted this one-off Taylor custom shop thing that was blue with fish inlays all over it and it was hideous. But if we're talking about minor variations of the traditional guitar design/woods, looks don't matter to me. Guitars are tools to get a job done. But that's just me/my own opinion. To each their own. I have a good friend who has owned several guitars. He often purchases them because he likes the way they look. He lacks basic fundamentals as a player, but I guess owning and looking at his guitars is how he enjoys the hobby. Nothing wrong with that I guess, but it does make me scratch my head a bit. It's like buying a set of golf clubs because the grips are cool looking, and then you take them to the miniature golf course . But...to each their own.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion