The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-26-2020, 05:43 AM

Generally once I decide to sell or trade off any instrument I own, the decision itself cuts off any emotional ties to it. So I don’t have any guitars that I seriously regret getting rid of.

There are two I would enjoy getting back: a black walnut 1998 Larrivee L-03W made from the same batch of walnut as my 1998 Larrivee OM-03W, and a Waterman Brazilian rosewood mountain dulcimer that I foolishly had fretted with a chromatic fretboard. Then when I had the original style diatonic dulcimer fretting restored it developed a buzz that I couldn’t get rid of, so I sold it for very little.

The Larrivee guitar no longer exists: the guy that I sold it to turned around within a year or two and traded it in to a small music store which hung the guitar right by the door, where the frigid Anchorage winter air would hit it every time someone came in or walked out. I never saw it during this period but I was told that it developed a gaping crack in its side that was closest to the door. Then the top cracked and then imploded, then the bridge got yanked off and the guitar became completely unsalvageable.

Which is a drag but oh, well...

The dulcimer I sold off to a student of mine at the time, as I recall. I don’t remember her name at this point, because it was a long, LONG time ago.

As I wrote earlier: oh, well....

Nothing to be done about it in either case, obviously.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 08-26-2020, 06:16 AM

Probably a D-35S I bought new around 1972. Also, a red Gibson 1964 ES-335 I sold around the same time.
Old 08-26-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Generally once I decide to sell or trade off any instrument I own, the decision itself cuts off any emotional ties to it. So I don’t have any guitars that I seriously regret getting rid of.

There are two I would enjoy getting back: a black walnut 1998 Larrivee L-03W made from the same batch of walnut as my 1998 Larrivee OM-03W, and a Waterman Brazilian rosewood mountain dulcimer that I foolishly had fretted with a chromatic fretboard. Then when I had the original style diatonic dulcimer fretting restored it developed a buzz that I couldn’t get rid of, so I sold it for very little.

The Larrivee guitar no longer exists: the guy that I sold it to turned around within a year or two and traded it in to a small music store which hung the guitar right by the door, where the frigid Anchorage winter air would hit it every time someone came in or walked out. I never saw it during this period but I was told that it developed a gaping crack in its side that was closest to the door. Then the top cracked and then imploded, then the bridge got yanked off and the guitar became completely unsalvageable.

Which is a drag but oh, well...

The dulcimer I sold off to a student of mine at the time, as I recall. I don’t remember her name at this point, because it was a long, LONG time ago.

As I wrote earlier: oh, well....

Nothing to be done about it in either case, obviously.

Wade Hampton Miller
Wade, sounds like semantics. Regret or wouldn’t mind having it back sort of sounds the same.
Old 08-26-2020, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

My "72 Fender Telecaster. I have never found another Fender rosewood neck that I liked as well as that one.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 08-26-2020, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

I regret selling a Martin D-18 that my father bought for me. He's gone now and I would love to have it back.
Old 08-26-2020, 05:13 PM

Luckily I actually don't regret selling any of my guitars. I'm considering selling my Gibson, but not sure yet.
Gibson G-45 Studio
Martin X1-DE
Washburn WP21SNS
Taylor 110
Mitchell D120
Old 08-26-2020, 10:05 PM

Default Larrivee

I would have to say selling my Larrivee LV-05E. I recently started playing in a church praise band and that guitar would be perfect for that.

I also miss my Guild dread sold several years ago - first real quality guitar I owned. To replace it now with a new USA MADE Guild would cost 3 times what I paid for that Guild in the early 1990’s.
Fender Baja Tele
Old 08-26-2020, 10:12 PM
Runaway Tomato

Default What guitar do you regret selling or letting go the most?

A Gibson J-50 that was a gift from a very special friend. I still miss it 45 years later. The guitar was kinda dead - it was a Norlin lol - but the friendship was important. Even though I lost the instrument, however, the friendship is still strong all these years later.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 08-26-2020, 10:33 PM

Default What guitar do you regret selling or letting go the most?

Definitely my 000-18 GE.
That was a great guitar that beat all comers till it ran into my Pre*War 000-18.

I do still think about it, but know the new owner loves it too.

Scott

Last edited by hairpuller; 08-27-2020 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-27-2020, 12:08 AM

My first electric, a Gibson ES-330 with nickel dogears, a Bigsby, and dot neck.
Old 08-27-2020, 12:54 AM

At this point. None. I never let it go if I love it.
Old 08-27-2020, 08:14 AM

Only really been two I wish I could perhaps still have. The first was a 1978 Fylde Oberon I bought for next to nothing (only £150!!) from someone who was emigrating. It was a beautiful sounding guitar, but it needed a neck reset. I was very early into my acoustic journey and felt I couldn't justify the cost so sold it with full disclosure for over 4 times what I paid. Realised later just how little comparatively a neck reset at Fylde would have cost - definitely the most stupid guitar-related decision I have ever made. Second was a 7 year old Collings OM2H - quite simply the best sounding OM I have ever played, but I never bonded with the neck profile. Still, I learned from both experiences and have moved on.
Old 08-27-2020, 08:33 AM

My 1958 Gretsch 6120. It had an extra wide neck. I've never seen another like it.
Why oh why did I let it go?
(Well partly 'cos I couldn't keep it in tune...but I should have sorted out the bigsby instead of selling it)
Nick
Old 08-27-2020, 12:05 PM

None since I always sold to get an upgrade as quality is concerned.
That said, I now have too many guitars and do not know which to let go ! :-/
Old 08-27-2020, 12:20 PM

'61 Les Paul Jr., SG body but stil badges as Les Paul Jr.

'62 Strat, Rosewood fingerboard.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion