The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: How many 00 guitars do you own?
0 71 29.34%
1 96 39.67%
More than 1 75 30.99%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-17-2020, 04:22 AM

I have a Waterloo WL12-MH. It's a wonderful guitar, but I have to remind myself, to not dig into it like I do when playing a 'dread or an OM. If I abide by that, I'm rewarded with some very sweet sounds. 00s are a great compromise between what can be very plucky sounding parlors, and boomy sounding dreadnaughts.

My Smile Makers:

Guild OM-120
Guild F-2512E Deluxe 12-string
Eastman E3DE
2013 Ibanez AFJ-95

Last edited by EllenGtrGrl; 08-17-2020 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-17-2020, 04:24 AM
Charter Member

Oh whoopee - a W10 update, and now my mouse acts like its crazy and has just deleted this response!

I believe that the original Martin 00 design is about the most beautiful design they have made and that the 14 fret version is the worst, apart from perhaps the jumbo!

I'm not sure of the purpose of a 00 rhythm guitar, but willing to be educated.

The 1898 design has something tonally that neither the "0" nor "000" has, a compact roundness - I dunno.

I think that Martin are missing a trick as this full voiced small model suits the "maturing" baby boomer market who are discarding their Dreads and jumbos as our body shapes become deeper and rounder and primarily sofa based.

Thankfully Collings and Santa Cruz still make excellent versions and Eastman are replacing the Martin offerings. There are also acceptable offerings from Blueridge (although I'm not sure if the BR361 is an oo or an ooo).

My 0028 was built in '98 by a British Martin authorised repairer who obtained the tonewoods from Martin. He has used his own mould which is the correct dimensions but a little "hippy" compared to the original. It is a phenomenal instrument which has the subtely of a small grand concert but the power of a dreadnought if wished.

My other one might be stretching it - a waterloo WL12 is the Collings version of the Gibson/Kalamazoo "L-oo" body which is 3/4" wider and 3/8" deeper than Martin spec.

I'd really like to get a Collings 002h or a Martin 0028vs.

Pics below
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HOCKEY 0028.jpg (20.3 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg WL-12.jpg (22.1 KB, 198 views)
Old 08-17-2020, 05:02 AM

Default Favorite size

I mistakenly said I own one 00 but realized I own 2-3 since there are a few variations on the names. Martin 00-14 (CEO-7 shape), McIlroy AS23ss, and Gibson B-15 from childhood. I don’t play the Gibson much, but it was my first guitar. I like the Martin more than the McIlroy and have concluded through many iterations that I prefer 14 fret to 12 and normal body depth to deep body. The shallower body gives a more compressed or focused sound I think. The McIlroy excels in DADGAD which I am just trying to learn but I may eventually sell it. Don’t need all these! And might get frustrated with too much learning.

I have owned two Larrivee 00s over the years, one rosewood and one walnut along with other Larrivee and can’t abide their necks for some reason. Too bad because they are very nice otherwise.
Old 08-17-2020, 05:19 AM

If a Gibson L00 and a Oahu "Nick Lucas" count,then yes,I have two.
Old 08-17-2020, 05:26 AM

Here are pictures.

IMG_5534.jpgIMG_5535.jpgIMG_5538.jpg

Last edited by Psfam; 08-17-2020 at 05:56 AM.
Old 08-17-2020, 05:35 AM

I have a Martin CS 00-21 that I bought new from Mandolin Brothers about 12 yers ago. It amazes me each time I play it.
Old 08-17-2020, 05:44 AM

My Larson Stahl is slightly smaller than Martin's 00 size and shallower as well. It’s one of the best sounding guitars I’ve played, let alone owned

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 08-17-2020, 05:48 AM

Sorry, having trouble with quoting. This is from Silly Moustache:
“I believe that the original Martin 00 design is about the most beautiful design they have made and that the 14 fret version is the worst, apart from perhaps the jumbo!

I'm not sure of the purpose of a 00 rhythm guitar, but willing to be educated.

I think that Martin are missing a trick as this full voiced small model suits the "maturing" baby boomer market who are discarding their Dreads and jumbos as our body shapes become deeper and rounder and primarily sofa based.“

Last part of quote made me laugh...yep.

My Martin 00-14 does well as an all around including rhythm but agree that the standard shape Martin 00 does not. The extra length and slightly wider lower bout (similar to the original 12 fret body shape) make all the difference. There is enough volume to the body yet a narrow enough waist to allow comfort when sitting. This is like the L-00, NL etc., slope shoulders.

As far as small guitars for rhythm goes, I think their application is primarily when amplified with other instruments. At least where I play the low end of the guitar is cut and the guitar sits in the midrange. With that in mind a smaller guitar whose strength is there can be a good thing.

Far afield from the original posters intent! Sorry.

Last edited by Psfam; 08-17-2020 at 06:02 AM.
Old 08-17-2020, 06:03 AM

I agree with Wade about the Seagull Folk, find the right strings for it and it has a lovely sound. I also agree re the Small Jumbo being a dog. I wondered if it was just mine but now it seems there is a design flaw in what should be a good sounding guitar but is actually stuffed with socks
Old 08-17-2020, 06:30 AM

In 2014 I decided to check out a local Martin dealer. Coincidentally, that very day was the annual Martin Event, where the rep brings in special custom shop creations.
My wife and I looked at several, especially the 000-21 Koa Authentic. But she noticed a small guitar with a rather large price tag. She asked the Martin rep (Dave) what made this guitar so expensive. Turns out it had all the bells and whistles: Adirondack top, Madi back and sides, hide glue, Adi scalloped braces, pyramid bridge, rope binding, Style 30 appointments.

I picked it up and in one strum, realized this was very special. The owner of the shop kept switching out guitars to me while my wife's back was turned. Each time the 00-30 was played she would say "THAT one!". It really blew everyone's mind with its tone.

Still does, years later.

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 08-17-2020, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJNies View Post
In 2014 I decided to check out a local Martin dealer. Coincidentally, that very day was the annual Martin Event, where the rep brings in special custom shop creations.
My wife and I looked at several, especially the 000-21 Koa Authentic. But she noticed a small guitar with a rather large price tag. She asked the Martin rep (Dave) what made this guitar so expensive. Turns out it had all the bells and whistles: Adirondack top, Madi back and sides, hide glue, Adi scalloped braces, pyramid bridge, rope binding, Style 30 appointments.

I picked it up and in one strum, realized this was very special. The owner of the shop kept switching out guitars to me while my wife's back was turned. Each time the 00-30 was played she would say "THAT one!". It really blew everyone's mind with its tone.

Still does, years later.

I bet that is an amazing guitar certainly is beautiful. Pretty cool how you came about it as well.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 08-17-2020, 06:52 AM

Seagull Coastline Grand.

Cedar top gives it a nice warmth for my playing. Sounds above its price, though I like to imagine it's my hours of diligent practice that helps with that . . .yeah . . back to work . . .
Old 08-17-2020, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Cheap and cheerful (although I look a bit grumpy in the photo!) a Vintage Statesboro' Parlour guitar. It is not really a 'parlour' size but a 00 lower bout and 0 upper bout. Solid hog top and hog laminate b/s. It chugs and growls along nicely with a flatpick. And it really suits me for singing over; which is what I bought it for. It is only a 99 GBP (about $130) guitar new but I'm really struggling to justify upgrading it as it 'does the job' admirably.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 08-17-2020, 08:03 AM

Although I don't own anything officially with a 00 moniker, my carbon fiber Blackbird Lucky 13 and my Teton STP180DVB parlor (ebony back & sides) are both identically sized bodies, and 00 in dimensions. https://tetonguitars.com/product-cat...ustics/parlor/

Whenever it gets mentioned I have often pondered the Farida OT22W with the wider neck, but I'm pretty much done buying wooden guitars now and have mostly converted to carbon fiber. It's really time to thin the herd, so another incoming wood guitar is pretty unlikely. https://www.elderly.com/products/far...coustic-guitar
Old 08-17-2020, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

the 00 must be my favorite size, I have 4. Two 14 fret Martins, a CEO-7 and a 00-15E Retro, and 2 - 12 fret, a Waterloo WL-12 and an Eastman E10 00MH.
They each have their own unique voice, no redundancy, fun to go from one to the other and be reminded what it is that hooked me on each of them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion