The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-10-2019, 09:08 PM

Default Giant string experiment

Pulling out the stops to find the Most Excellent strings for my Larrivée. I just placed an order for a bunch of different PB sets from our sponsor Strings By Mail:

It will take me months to work through all these different options, so I'll be making notes for myself as I go and sharing my impressions here.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:37 PM

My Larrivees like the John Pearse strings.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palsed View Post
My Larrivees like the John Pearse strings.
Yes, I've already tried those on this instrument with good results and ordered another set as sort of a baseline.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:48 AM

How are you planning to test them? Will you have them on the guitar for several weeks then change them out? There are several brands on your list that I haven't heard of before, it will be interesting to hear your opinions about them. Hoping you'll post a review of each, maybe a comparison chart showing different qualities of each set. It's all very subjective, of course, but it's good to have opinions of strings nonetheless.

Jack
Old 10-11-2019, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

For about $60.00 it is a fun and worthwhile venture. I can't help but to recommend DR sunbeams and rares into the test.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 10-11-2019, 09:30 AM

Wow savarez is making acoustic steel strings now? Thats interesting. I want to try a set out

Whats the difference between the regular martins and the martin marquis?

Also let us know what you think about the ghs thin cores!! The thin core is supposed to make them feel less tensiony?? or?
Old 10-11-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCook1 View Post
How are you planning to test them? Will you have them on the guitar for several weeks then change them out? There are several brands on your list that I haven't heard of before, it will be interesting to hear your opinions about them. Hoping you'll post a review of each, maybe a comparison chart showing different qualities of each set. It's all very subjective, of course, but it's good to have opinions of strings nonetheless.
How long I keep them on will depend on whether I like them. Five days minimum so they can break in and lose that brassy "fresh string" sound, and a month maximum so that they don't sound too dead before the next set goes on (and also so this doesn't take forever to do).

I have a bunch of D'Addario PBs I can switch back to in between, if I feel I need a reference point.

I'm not sure yet how I'll tabulate the results. Probably post my impressions here, and then maybe graph it out at the end if the data is graphable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillis View Post
For about $60.00 it is a fun and worthwhile venture. I can't help but to recommend DR sunbeams and rares into the test.
Sunbeams are awesome. They're actually my go-to string for my Taylor. But I've already tried them on the Larrivée, and for some reason they don't sound their best on this particular instrument. It's a shame, because it would be nice to be able to use the same strings on both.

But you're right, I should have bought a set of Rares, and a set of Veritas as well. I'll see if I can pick some up locally and add them to the test.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:59 AM

I dont see the Santa Cruz Parabolic strings up there.

I have tried every brand I could get my hands on and the Santa Cruz strings by far are the best sounding and playing strings I have used. The mediums have lower tension then the average 12's. I was shocked how much more sustain they have then other brands. I need my strings fresh and bright as I play fingerstyle mainly with short nails. These strings last me 3 weeks easily before I notice any change in tone playing 1-2 hours every day. I cant say enough good things about them.

I also play with the EB Aluminum Bronze strings. Fuller, louder P/B strings with a tighter low end more or less.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERZEY View Post
I dont see the Santa Cruz Parabolic strings up there.

I also play with the EB Aluminum Bronze strings. Fuller, louder P/B strings with a tighter low end more or less.
Strings By Mail doesn't carry the Parabolics, but from your description I will definitely want to seek those out.

I can't stand the EB Aluminum Bronze, though. I've tried them and I just don't like how they feel or sound. No offense intended, of course; these things are subjective.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonCats View Post
Whats the difference between the regular martins and the martin marquis?
The Marquis strings have silk wrap on the ball end of the string. It’s supposed to help prevent wear in the pin-hole, and some claim to hear a ‘warmer’ tone.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 10-11-2019, 03:26 PM

I just had a great idea for this comparison.

I've enlisted my wife's help. When I'm ready to put on a set of strings, she will select and unpack them in another room, and bring me just the strings, not the packaging. She'll keep the packaging in a drawer or something so I can match it up to the strings later.

This should help me try each set without bias.

Well, except for the Martin Marquis. I'll know those by their silk tails.

I'm still deciding whether I should look at the packaging once I'm done with each set, or not until I've tried them all. My gut is to do it when I take each set off, because otherwise you guys will have to wait a year to know what review matches what strings.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:29 PM

I wish they were .012's but I still look forward to reading your reviews.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 10-11-2019, 05:36 PM

I used Martin Marquis medium's for years before discovering EJ-16's on my Gibson Dread that sound much brighter and fuller. No contest.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

I like "Pierre Bensusan DADGAD medium PB coated Wyres" strings on mine.

Say that 3 times fast

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-11-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibpicker View Post
I used Martin Marquis medium's for years before discovering EJ-16's on my Gibson Dread that sound much brighter and fuller. No contest.
You went from 13s to 12s, then?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion