The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-11-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Back then the pickups in Takamine guitars were about the best available to get a good acoustic guitar sound onstage.

Where in Charleston did you see him, if I may ask? Charleston was my mother’s hometown and I attended the Citadel, though I was long gone by the mid-1980’s.

Wade Hampton Miller
The name of the bar was "Confetti". It closed back in the late 80's.

It was more of a live music venue than a typical bar. I saw Robin Trower and America there, as well. It was actually in North Charleston, out on Rivers Avenue.

I lived in Hanahan at the time...
Old 09-11-2019, 08:29 AM

Coincidentally enough, I just stopped at the flea market on my way into work this AM. Came across a Takamine G330 with the Martin style logo. Vendor wanted $150 for it. I'm pretty sure it was a laminate model. I passed, rather than haggle.

I also saw an Alvarez-Yairi with a Florentine cutaway, similar MIJ vintage. Not a bad guitar, but it had a fatter neck than I like, and the finish was cloudy in places, besides needing strings, set-up, etc. Vendor wanted $200. Again, I passed, rather than haggle.

If I hadn't just bought a hundred-dollar Yammie that was in great shape and needed nothing, I probably would have bought one if I got 50 bucks off the price.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabarone View Post
"Back in the day" I had a boss who bought a Takamine Martin copy...he made it a point to tell everybody that looking at his guitar and my D 28 you couldn't tell them apart and I paid twice as much for mine...I told him, "I can tell them apart w/my eyes closed"...
I have the remnants of that model and have compared the routed off soundboard with one of the demo Martin soundboards you see on display in dealer store. I have long contemplated retooling the topless body but am content with just having a lower end genuine Martin.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
I have never heard anything about, nor can I find any information about Kaman Corp buying out Takamine.
I was selling guitars in a family owned shop from about '94-'01 and we sold a LOT of Takamines. They were indeed owned and supplied by Kaman (formerly C Bruno).
Taylor GA8 Sitka/EIR
Reverend '21 Charger 290
Gibson '03 Les Paul Studio Swamp Ash
Fender '94 American Std Strat
Squier Classic Vibe Baritone Telecaster

Many are gone but not forgotten...some are just forgotten
Old 09-11-2019, 11:47 AM

I don’t know if they actually got sued, but Yamaha made some really great copies in the 70s. I have an early 70s Lord Player that is a pretty amazing copy. Some of my Gibson loving friends think it’s as good as any real LP they’ve played.

IMG_1712.jpg

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page
Old 09-17-2019, 02:26 PM

Default Another how I got my guitar story 4

As I have told before I give away guitar picks with my practice name and ask people their guitar story.
So a patient today says it is not all that unique. Seems he was hanging out a lot with some friends as a teenager, listening to them play and drinking beer with them. His mom was pretty smart and came in one day with a new Yamaha and the idea that he could play in his bedroom all he wanted. He said that did keep him closer home, although he did sneak off from time to time. Seems you cannot fool Mother Nature or an astute momma.
He still has that guitar 40 years later.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:35 PM

So the patient came in for a follow up visit.
I specifically asked about him only giving her a vacuum for a Stratocaster.
He said he specifically told her the guitar was worth much more, but she told him just to get a vacuum and she would be happy.
So she got the vacuum and he got the guitar. It was in good shape and did not need any repairs.
So at least in this case, nobody ripped off a little old lady. [emoji848][emoji6][emoji4]
Old 09-19-2019, 12:41 PM

Even the little old lady was probably expecting a vacuum worth more than $50.00. Sounds like he did rip her off.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
Even the little old lady was probably expecting a vacuum worth more than $50.00. Sounds like he did rip her off.

Ahhh
Ever the cynic...
Nope I really quizzed him. She just wanted a basic vacuum. And 20 years ago $50 was like $100 now.
He really did tell her it Was worth a good bit more.
I would not bother posting, but I want to be fair to the guy. He seems like a good guy. I cannot Picture him ripping her off.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whvick View Post
Ahhh
Ever the cynic...
Nope I really quizzed him. She just wanted a basic vacuum. And 20 years ago $50 was like $100 now.
He really did tell her it Was worth a good bit more.
I would not bother posting, but I want to be fair to the guy. He seems like a good guy. I cannot Picture him ripping her off.
Nope, I am not at all cynical - just a guy who believes in fairness. Your original post did not say it was 20 years ago nor did it say "He really did tell her it Was worth a good bit more". We also don't know the relationship between the two which might have greatly influenced her decision. Would she have done the same if were you or me?

Sounds like she just wanted to be generous and give him something that he would appreciate.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:07 PM

Default How I got my guitar (5)

So I like to give people a guitar pick with my practice name and ask for their guitar story.
Today I examined a husband and wife. The husband said he played a couple of Instruments, but his wife was the guitar person, and that she had a Martin. I asked which model and he did not know which model. I said “she has a Martin guitar and you don’t know which one?!” He said he was not a guitar guy, but his wife loved her old guitar.
We finish and the wife comes in and says “give me a guitar Pick and I’ll tell you how I got my D-35!”
“When I was in high school my Dad gave me his old Goya guitar and told me when I got good enough he would buy me any guitar I wanted. I worked hard on playing and one day Dad said I was good enough. We went to town, and I went into that store convinced that I wanted a Gibson Hummingbird. “
Then she got that far-away look and continued her story. “The more I played the more the D-35 just bonded to me. Daddy bought it for me. That was about 40 years ago and it is still the best guitar ever. I still remember the day I put a big scratch in it. I cried all day. I love that old Martin!”
Old 09-19-2019, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

There is song in that story just itching to be birthed.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:18 PM

Of the buyer is happy and the seller is happy then it's a good deal. IMO and I sure wouldn't accuse somebody of robbery
2017 Washburn Revival 1939 Solo Deluxe reissue (S EIR sunburst) (Amber)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
2008 S style (Blue)
2018 T style (Pearl)
2019 Fender Mustang II V2
Old 09-19-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve223 View Post
Of the buyer is happy and the seller is happy then it's a good deal. IMO and I sure wouldn't accuse somebody of robbery
Ditto. If you would be more generous, be proud of yourself, but don't accuse the buyer in the OP's story of impropriety.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Mine (latest) not nearly so compelling but here goes:

I had been negotiating with an AGF seller for a Rosewood CEO-7, as I wanted a smaller body guitar to "imitate" my McIlroy A30c. We were $100 apart and neither moving towards a compromise.

Late one evening, with my wife already asleep, I came across a Gibson Parlor AG in Rosewood in the classifieds. Now, I had never SEEN or even HEARD of a Gibson Parlor. I wasn't a Gibson guy, since I sold my ES-175. But this looked SO right. Said I'd take it at his asking, without so much as a cursory check on the interwebs as to what these things went for, new or used.

Have to say I couldn't be more pleased. First, that I didn't grossly overpay! Secondly, how much I like the tone and play-ability of the guitar. It's not a mni-Mac, but it does do DADGAD very well, and is a fine guitar in standard too.

My late night impetuous purchase was a good one!

PS. My wife like it too. Doesn't hurt that it was $800 less than the Martin!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion