The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-20-2020, 05:15 AM

I sold my Eastman E20D last year, I never liked it. I even preferred my Yamaha FG700S. I am thinking of buying a Martin D28 now
Yamaha FG700MS
Old 09-20-2020, 09:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidfieldGeneral View Post
I sold my Eastman E20D last year, I never liked it. I even preferred my Yamaha FG700S. I am thinking of buying a Martin D28 now
Oh wow, that kinda blows my mind. You don't often hear that about Eastmans, but I believe you. I had a couple Yairis that I sold off after being unimpressed, so it can happen.

And yes yes yes on the D-28. If you're thinking of buying new, I'd play the D-18 too at the same time. Looks like you're a rosewood man, but I played a D-18 at McCabes a few years ago that still has me dreaming. Great guitar.

take care,
scott
Old 09-20-2020, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidfieldGeneral View Post
I have a few Eastman dreadnoughts and if you're wanting a Martin the Eastman won't cut it. It has a more modern voice and lacks the deep bass-bias of the Martin. It is shocking to me about the Yamaha comparison because I just picked up a Yamaha FG730S to practice guitar mods on and it's a fine cheap instrument it doesn't come close to an Eastman in sound or quality.

As far as the D28, you should try out an HD28 before grabbing a D28. The HD28 has scalloped bracing which gives it more bass, etc. It's only about $200 difference in price. The times I've compared a D28 to an HD28 the HD28 wins every time.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:26 AM

thanks to everyone for their input
Yamaha FG700MS
Old 10-23-2020, 12:40 PM
AGF Sponsor

MG: Did you ever end up playing an HD-28? Were you able to play it against any of the Eastman models?

Thanks for contributing to this thread.

sm
Old 10-23-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I have a few Eastman dreadnoughts and if you're wanting a Martin the Eastman won't cut it. It has a more modern voice and lacks the deep bass-bias of the Martin. It is shocking to me about the Yamaha comparison because I just picked up a Yamaha FG730S to practice guitar mods on and it's a fine cheap instrument it doesn't come close to an Eastman in sound or quality.

As far as the D28, you should try out an HD28 before grabbing a D28. The HD28 has scalloped bracing which gives it more bass, etc. It's only about $200 difference in price. The times I've compared a D28 to an HD28 the HD28 wins every time.

I’m way late to this, but when you say “deep bass bias”, would you say that the bass on Eastman dreads is less powerful, or that the bass is there, but the overall sound is more balanced?
Old 10-23-2020, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle215 View Post
I’m way late to this, but when you say “deep bass bias”, would you say that the bass on Eastman dreads is less powerful, or that the bass is there, but the overall sound is more balanced?
Yes.

It's less overpowering, so you can call it less powerful or more balanced. Same idea. But it's not like it's lacking or can't hear it.
Old 10-23-2020, 01:46 PM

Thanks. “Less powerful” is helpful
Old 10-23-2020, 06:55 PM

My E10D has "more" low end than my D28. I put it in quotes because they are different and in one way the D28 had a more expansive low register. Maybe it's the Rosewood. But the Eastman sounds like a scalloped guitar compared to the Martin (as it should). More volume, more low end.
1990s Hirade K5
1996 Ibanez AG600e
2000s Eastman E10D
2009 Breedlove American 000 MM
2007 Breedlove DR Deluxe Custom
2010s Eastman E10OM SB
Old 10-24-2020, 11:45 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccorobb View Post
My E10D has "more" low end than my D28. I put it in quotes because they are different and in one way the D28 had a more expansive low register. Maybe it's the Rosewood. But the Eastman sounds like a scalloped guitar compared to the Martin (as it should). More volume, more low end.
Rocco, great review, thanks.

It's funny. Everyone knows both Martin and Gibson have their own "sound" that is very distinctive and immediately recognizable. And yet most people say Eastmans don't sound exactly like either one of those brands. They have their own sound, but I don't think we've named it yet. Maybe we'll just call it GOOD.

sm
Old 10-24-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Rocco, great review, thanks.

It's funny. Everyone knows both Martin and Gibson have their own "sound" that is very distinctive and immediately recognizable. And yet most people say Eastmans don't sound exactly like either one of those brands. They have their own sound, but I don't think we've named it yet. Maybe we'll just call it GOOD.

sm
Is the Eastman sound! I think at this point they are established enough to have their own sound attributed to them.

Actually, of all the different brands that I've owned, I would say Eastman is closest in voicing to Bourgeois. Balanced, slightly modern take on the classic Martin thing. When I heard about the Eastman bourgeois alliance, they made perfect sense to me just for that reason.
1990s Hirade K5
1996 Ibanez AG600e
2000s Eastman E10D
2009 Breedlove American 000 MM
2007 Breedlove DR Deluxe Custom
2010s Eastman E10OM SB
Old 10-26-2020, 08:46 AM

I'm 10 years in with my Eastman AC420B ... and still loving it. I have other fine guitars (Martin, Breedlove, Guild) but this $1000 wonder is still a favorite, and the one most likely to be near at hand.
Old 11-03-2020, 02:13 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
I'm 10 years in with my Eastman AC420B ... and still loving it. I have other fine guitars (Martin, Breedlove, Guild) but this $1000 wonder is still a favorite, and the one most likely to be near at hand.
Funny, yeah. I have a very fine Martin HD-28 that I haven't played in over a year. My Eastman J-45 clone is simply a more versatile guitar, especially when it comes to fingerpicking.

sm
Old 11-03-2020, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

I'm a few months into ownership of a brand new Eastman E10OM-TC. It is a a pretty phenomenal guitar for the price. I've never bought a guitar brand new before and at first the bass was underwhelming but it woke up big time after about 6 weeks.

It is Eastman's response to the Martin Authentic line, as far as I can tell. (torrified Adi top.)

People looking for a budget Martin won't get what they want out of an Eastman, but people looking for a very well built guitar with outstanding tone for days will be very happy.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 11-06-2020, 12:56 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecuss View Post
I'm a few months into ownership of a brand new Eastman E10OM-TC. It is a a pretty phenomenal guitar for the price. I've never bought a guitar brand new before and at first the bass was underwhelming but it woke up big time after about 6 weeks.

It is Eastman's response to the Martin Authentic line, as far as I can tell. (torrified Adi top.)

People looking for a budget Martin won't get what they want out of an Eastman, but people looking for a very well built guitar with outstanding tone for days will be very happy.
Thanks for adding to the conversation, Steve. Hope all is well on the ranch,

scott

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion