The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-18-2020, 03:42 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
Depends on the model number. The earliest ones, starting in 2004, were made in the Qingdau factory in China. I think it's these Chinese made ones that you are referring to.

Lots of good information here: http://www.epiphonewiki.org/index/Masterbilt.php
George, I should go back and do some more research on my AJs. I'm pretty sure at least two of mine are early, like built in China. Anyway, I love 'em.

sm
Old 10-07-2020, 08:56 PM

I've enjoyed reading through this thread.

From 2007-2019 I owned a 2005 AJ-500RENS. It was my first solid wood acoustic.It was all the guitar I would ever need, but I sold it last fall to help offset the cost of some other purchases.

I do want another slope shoulder though. I hope the new solid wood Masterbilt Texan model is comparable to what I had, but I'm yet to see one of those in real world.

Has anyone played one yet? I assume the materials and the finish will be an upgrade from the Inspired by '64 Texan model that is now discontinued.
Old 10-12-2020, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Has anyone played a Masterbilt Texan? I can’t get a feel if this guitar is on par with the rest of the MB line or not. I wasn’t too impressed with the “inspired by” model and can’t afford the new Bozeman model or an original.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:30 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenumber2 View Post
Has anyone played a Masterbilt Texan? I can’t get a feel if this guitar is on par with the rest of the MB line or not. I wasn’t too impressed with the “inspired by” model and can’t afford the new Bozeman model or an original.
Me too, Dave. Maybe someone will come in on this.

I saw the new Epi MB models are January NAMM, Dave, and I was so pleased to see the new management at Gibson get behind this line again. It has really become an orphan child and gathered mold under the previous management team. I wish wish wish they would bring back the AJ-500M model, which was the cat's meow and the star of the lineup in the early 2000s. One can only hope.

But trust me, Dave, the line looks solid and I don't see any way the new models won't sound great. I was able to spend a few minutes in the booth the Epi staff, and there was a lot of excitement surrounding these new offereings.

scott memmer
Old 10-13-2020, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Me too, Dave. Maybe someone will come in on this.

I saw the new Epi MB models are January NAMM, Dave, and I was so pleased to see the new management at Gibson get behind this line again. It has really become an orphan child and gathered mold under the previous management team. I wish wish wish they would bring back the AJ-500M model, which was the cat's meow and the star of the lineup in the early 2000s. One can only hope.

But trust me, Dave, the line looks solid and I don't see any way the new models won't sound great. I was able to spend a few minutes in the booth the Epi staff, and there was a lot of excitement surrounding these new offereings.

scott memmer
I have to say the aged antique natural finish on the new MB looks fantastic. Hopefully the tone matches.

Old 10-13-2020, 09:52 AM
AGF Sponsor

Yes, the finish is sweet.

I gotta say, though, I've always hated that squared-off pickguard. Ugh. And now it's even worse with the big Epiphone "E" on it. I'm guessing they must have gone back to the thirties and the original designs and copied the pickguard. I yanked that thing off and had Taylor Mullins of Holter Pickguards make me a custom batwing. Let me know if you'd like to see a pic or two.

This was on one of my three AJ-500Ms. These are getting rare out there, as people are hanging onto them, but you might scrounge around the Net and see if you can find a clean used one. A heckuva lot of guitar for not much coin.

sm
Old 10-13-2020, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

I don't mind the pickguard but I always like seeing pics. Feel free to post. I think it gives the guitar its own personality and differentiates it from the J-45/50 along with the other aesthetic appointments.
Old 10-14-2020, 11:36 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenumber2 View Post
I don't mind the pickguard but I always like seeing pics. Feel free to post. I think it gives the guitar its own personality and differentiates it from the J-45/50 along with the other aesthetic appointments.
Keep bugging me, Dave, and I'll try to post a few snaps by the weekend. Taylor (no vested interest) does wonderful work, and is a heckuva guy as well.

take care,
sm
Old 10-14-2020, 11:44 PM
Charter Member

Do you guys think this one is worth the price?

https://reverb.com/item/34319491-epi...herry-sunburst
Old 10-15-2020, 01:46 AM

Wow. How did you find that listing??

The sales tax on that...
Old 10-15-2020, 02:43 AM

I was looking at this thread in hopes of seeing if a forum member might've purchased the AJ500RC I sold to a certain mid-western guitar buyer I foolishly sold the guitar to... practically "giving it away" as a deal sweetener when I sold him 2 Gibsons at the Philly Guitar Show (Grover Sta-tites 18:1 installed):

Old 10-15-2020, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
Wow. How did you find that listing??

The sales tax on that...
Ha, I found it a couple months ago and check in on it periodically. I certainly feel for the guy as he seems to be going through a tough time, but expecting someone to pay six figures for a ~$500 guitar is a bit out there.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
If the production run started in 2004, when did production end for this series? I'd like to know because I like this series and not the current one.
Yeah, I think that was the best series - non-cutaways. It went through 2009 or maybe 2010. I had one from 2003 - an EF500PNS (maple b/s). Apparently a prototype since that model never went into production. The sweetest one I had though was an EF500RAVS - the only guitar I've kind of regretted selling, but not too much since it helped fund some other fantastic guitars....

EF500PNS

EF500RAVS

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 10-15-2020, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
Ha, I found it a couple months ago and check in on it periodically. I certainly feel for the guy as he seems to be going through a tough time, but expecting someone to pay six figures for a ~$500 guitar is a bit out there.
That's one of those "I promised my spouse I'd put it up for sale" postings.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:10 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie_D View Post
That's one of those "I promised my spouse I'd put it up for sale" postings.
Key to a Happy Marriage: Never make ANY promises about guitars. Keep 'em guessing.

sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion