The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-23-2020, 08:24 AM

Having owned an F32c since new in 1995 I have never found a lack of warmth or bass to be apparent with my guitar, it's just the regular Sitka and Indian Rosewood version, if you can call the superb quality of Lowden woods regular.
Echo all the sentiments expressed above regarding build quality, and clarity which makes you improve your playing accuracy.Can I also add the incredible stability of the neck, mine goes from low Csus2 tuning to standard 440 with never a problem, i think it has been to a guitar tech 3 times in 25 years, for a light fret dress, the frets are still excellent and this guitar has been my number one for hundreds of sessions.
By far the most versatile instrument I have owned and with the exception of a remarkable resurrection of a guitar by a certain genius from the Virginia mountains, the one that is played most often.
Old 08-23-2020, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

I’ve owned two Lowden’s - my first was the Richard Thompson model (regrettably, I had to sell it), and currently, my F23 (cedar/walnut, which seems to be George’s favorite). For me, it’s the perfect acoustic guitar for fingerstyle and alternate tunings. The overtones and sustain are incredible.

2004 Lowden F23
1997 Taylor 612c
2001 Tacoma C1C Chief
1980 Yamaha FG 375S
2019 Taylor GS Mini
2014 Baby Taylor
2007 Fender Eric Johnson Stratocaster
2019 Fender Special Edition Telecaster (Deluxe Ash)
2017 Taylor GS Mini Bass
Old 08-23-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburg325 View Post
It's an instrument that'll force me to become better. No hiding.
I know this is a zombie thread but I totally disagree with the above statement. I just have had my O-32 for about a month find it very easy to play and I don't think it's forced me to play any better or worse than my other guitars.
Old 08-23-2020, 11:28 AM

I have played perhaps 20-25 Lowden guitars over the years and owned several. I would say the quintessential Lowden sound, as embodied by the quintessential Lowden guitar, the O-25, is a warm, rich, enveloping, complex, blooming type of sound, much different from the traditional sound of Martins and Gibsons, which to my ears tend be dryer, punchier, more direct, sharper. Not saying either is better or worse, mind you, just different. Bare and harsh are not words that would come to my mind in describing Lowdens. But it is a different sound, for sure, and I can see how a player, especially an American player used to the traditional American sound, might struggle to get used to what Lowden guitars do. I wouldn't use a Lowden as a bluegrass instrument but for any type of fingerstyle, I think Lowdens are killer guitars, and I have heard a couple of guys play with pics, what one might call Irish/Scottish lead guitar on Lowdens, which sounded fantastic to my ears.
Old 08-23-2020, 11:52 AM

Just to update from my last post in February when I had just a semblance of buyer's remorse over my Lowden. I'm now completely satisfied with the sound which is beautiful, and with a bit of practice it records really well too. Really glad I stuck with this guitar.

Old 08-23-2020, 12:42 PM

It was my first Lowden experience, a used F32 - sitka spruce and IRW - in a good guitar store.

It blew my socks off. Period.

Last edited by LeftyKev; 08-25-2020 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-23-2020, 01:19 PM

Just got a FM35 in trade. It's an amazing guitar. Fingerstyler's dream really.
Old 08-23-2020, 01:34 PM

I have to agree with the OP. No doubt that Lowden’s sound great, but my experience is that they have a very distinctive signature tone and it certainly tends toward a more strident and compressed sound with a high level of overtones - I would not call it warm or on the warm side of the spectrum.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 08-25-2020, 12:17 AM

Old thread but it reminded me not to take my Lowdens for granted - they can be exhausting to play well enough!

So, I re-tuned the O22 from DADGAD to standard, re-tuned the LSE1 from Open G to standard and the S35 from 2 steps down to standard and putting a capo on 4! It is like having 3 new Lowdens...almost.

My truly 'golden guitar' S35 from the second hand shop - what was the previous owner thinking to lose it?

BluesKing777.
Old 08-25-2020, 12:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
My truly 'golden guitar' S35 from the second hand shop - what was the previous owner thinking to lose it?
Even more, what was he/she thinking to have it autographed - twice - in (presumably indelible) black marker on the top?

I understand the kudos in having Tommy’s signature, but if it were mine I’d have loosened the strings right off and had him sign inside the soundhole, the way Chris Martin will autograph Martin guitars on occasions, and preferably on the paper label.

Not knocking the guitar - it’s a beautiful guitar but, personally, I couldn’t get past that writing...

Of course, the usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 08-25-2020, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Even more, what was he/she thinking to have it autographed - twice - in (presumably indelible) black marker on the top?

I understand the kudos in having Tommy’s signature, but if it were mine I’d have loosened the strings right off and had him sign inside the soundhole, the way Chris Martin will autograph Martin guitars on occasions, and preferably on the paper label.

Not knocking the guitar - it’s a beautiful guitar but, personally, I couldn’t get past that writing...

Of course, the usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Disgraceful lack of respect, isn’t it? Writing on a superb guitar made to perfection... I am used to it after a few years, but I suspect the same people that write on nice things are the same ones that scratch your nice car for fun. But the owner lost a bundle probably by allowing this to be done!

Good news is that all that is forgotten when I play it and it rings out like a bell! And a new one of this all over quality would cost a real lot now!

And....I just put down my beastly in comparison to the S, O22 after playing it is standard tuning with a capo on 4 - I dragged out my book with the 100 Country Hits...ha ha ha, not the usual Lowden tunes...and played a bit of a Betty and Dupree type blues before I packed up. No more typecasting the beast to DADGAD! It can do anything I tell it!

BluesKing777.
Old 08-25-2020, 02:49 AM
Charter Member

Hey BK, I absolutely get all of that - it’s clear from your posts on the forum how much you love that guitar, and you’re absolutely right. Play it long, loud, and in good health!

Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Old 08-25-2020, 03:25 AM

I haven't read all the posts on this thread, so you may have had this advice already but if you are looking for that warm creamy bass generally associated with a good Martin, you will not find it in a Lowden.
Old 08-25-2020, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Hey BK, I absolutely get all of that - it’s clear from your posts on the forum how much you love that guitar, and you’re absolutely right. Play it long, loud, and in good health!

Thanks JB, I will do just that....and if the music shop I visit ever re-opens, I will list a couple of my guitars and use the proceeds to get a used, probably F50 style in exotic timber! And I am hoping somebody writes on one....

BluesKing777.
Old 08-25-2020, 03:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post
I haven't read all the posts on this thread, so you may have had this advice already but if you are looking for that warm creamy bass generally associated with a good Martin, you will not find it in a Lowden.
I agree - I have Martins as well as a Lowden and a Brook. There’s a good reason for that - the three brands sound very different.

If someone is after the bass-heavy Martin sound, I’d recommend they get a Martin. If it’s clarity, chime, and sustain they’re after, a Lowden has shedloads.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion