The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-24-2014, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Klepper
Brondel
kim Walker
Old 06-24-2014, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Hi folks (late to the party)…
  • James Olson
  • Michael Bashkin
  • Ervin Somogyi
  • Gerald Sheppard
  • Tim McKnight (most improved since 2005 and builds very consistent instruments of superior quality). His post-Somogyi guitars are amazing (he studied with Ervin)

And Brian (USBChord) the guitar Michael Chapdelaine just received at Healdsburg 2013 is amazing. It's one of the most amazing guitars from the audience side I've ever encountered.

It was built specifically with Michael in mind, and shows his qualities off with perfection.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-24-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi folks (late to the party)…
  • James Olson
  • Michael Bashkin
  • Ervin Somogyi
  • Gerald Sheppard
  • Tim McKnight (most improved since 2005 and builds very consistent instruments of superior quality). His post-Somogyi guitars are amazing (he studied with Ervin)

And Brian (USBChord) the guitar Michael Chapdelaine just received at Healdsburg 2013 is amazing. It's one of the most amazing guitars from the audience side I've ever encountered.

It was built specifically with Michael in mind, and shows his qualities off with perfection.
I had the opportunity to play about 10 McKnight guitars over the weekend at his shop near me. Wow, I am not as well traveled in builders circles but I was totally impressed. So light and responsive. Wish my talent deserved one.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 06-24-2014, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Hey, Larry! (Long time no see...)

I can only imagine..

Chapdelaine is such an expressive player, I'm sure he gets every microbe of tone out of that thing. Great list, btw.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitraker View Post
if these luthiers are so good - and I am sure they are - why don't they have broader appeal, especially with the masters (who can afford them) such as Neil Young, Jimmy Page, Sheryl Crow, Tommy Emmanuel, Paul McCartney, Tony Rice, Leo Kotke, Chris Martin, Thom York and Dan Timinski?
b-raker...

Your information is incomplete.

Many players own special 'other' guitars than those they gig with on the road.

Several you named are songwriter/singers who happen to play some guitar, though their emphasis is writing and singing, and they hire the proficient players to back them on stage.

I've met players who do what they do with the guitar they've owned for 50 years, and though are not guitar-masters (including several you named), they sound good.

Some are sponsored by a company and loyal to that sponsorship.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-24-2014, 03:10 PM

Been playing for more than 40 years and never had a chance to play (or even see in person) any of the ones you listed. Guess my sin is living in the wrong part of the country.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Modli...23585177732114
Old 06-24-2014, 03:34 PM

I've owned a Ted Thompson and a Lowden, had a Greven in for a couple if weeks on loan from John, and I've been to Gerald Sheppard's shop (he goes to church with my wife's uncle) and played a half dozen or so of his guitars, including his personal instrument. I've also played SCGCs, Collings and a bunch of Bourgeois.

That Lowden, an O 23, was a remarkable instrument. So were a couple of the Sheppard's, but I'm just personally into a drier, more traditional tone. The Greven got it. So did a couple of the Bourgies and the SC. But I found my bliss in a slope from Gibson's custom shop.

Does Wren Ferguson count?

P
Old 06-24-2014, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
…Wish my talent deserved one.
Hi DN...

Talent has nothing to do with 'deserving' great guitars. I improved AFTER I bought my first handbuilt exponentially.

I think it was at least partially the combination of the best guitar I've ever played which has increased capability in several areas (tone, responsiveness, resonance and sustain to name 4) so it was quicker for me to extract and learn things I just never conceived on my previous instruments.

I'm sure some might be skeptical of my approach, but when people buy the best sounding/playing instruments they can afford, they often play better and continue to grow more.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 06-24-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Hi DN...

Talent has nothing to do with 'deserving' great guitars. I improved AFTER I bought my first handbuilt exponentially.

I think it was at least partially the combination of the best guitar I've ever played which has increased capability in several areas (tone, responsiveness, resonance and sustain to name 4) so it was quicker for me to extract and learn things I just never conceived on my previous instruments.

I'm sure some might be skeptical of my approach, but when people buy the best sounding/playing instruments they can afford, they often play better and continue to grow more.

I hope that holds for me my friend when my build gets done next month. With dwindling practice hours from my three week ownership of the store I've been feeling mighty inadequate for the $$$ invested.

Hope to see you this summer!
-jay

Michael Greenfield... in my dreams
Linda Manzer... in my dreams again
Michael Bashkin... hopefully next in my sights
Duane Noble... yeah, I'm biased
Tim McKnight... another someday wish
'98 SRV Fender Stratocaster

Last edited by jay7347; 06-24-2014 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:22 PM
Charter Member

I've played only a few, other's I've heard and love the sound clips.

1) Joel Stehr; love my dread and have enjoyed clips of every one I've heard, and would buy another
2) Sheldon Schwartz; played an Oracle at Woodstock two years ago, my favorite at that show
3) Randy Muth, at the same show as Sheldon, second favorite at the show, costing less than half of the Oracle, and if not for a slightly wide neck, I'd have purchased it
4) John Osthoff, another from Woodstock, played a Sinker-topped beauty that was really comfortable and sounded excellent

Those are the one I played that were truly memorable. To get to number 5, I'd have to go with sound clips. And I'd be stuck between Mark Hatcher, Tom Doerr, Bill Wise (Charis) and Steve Sheriff (Edwinson).

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 03-17-2015, 05:17 AM

Default luthier built guitar

Has anyone out there tried a brook guitar?, they are made in the west country England.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:48 AM

Top 4 Alphabetical order

Mark Blanchard
Mike Baranik
Ed Claxton
TJ Thomson

Certain individual guitars are remembered. Kathy Wingert 000. Kim Walker Braz/Ad OM, TJ Thomson OM, etc. Have not played a Fay or Slobod

Having been to many of the shows and played most of the very high end guitars, I have found the one opinion that maters is my own. Some at the top of spectrum do not appeal to my style.

I could just as easily join Larry Pattis and have a huge list. At this level, you can split hairs on what you like.

Last edited by Ed C.; 03-17-2015 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:27 AM

I love travelling and going to high end shops and festivals and trying out guitars. The minute I played Greenfield I knew I had to have one someday. Michael's guitars have unique characteristics like tone halos and other engineered specs that just work for me. His guitars are as good as many others mentioned, but I just really like the Greenfield flavor.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:39 AM

I have no clue

I have never bought a luthier-built guitar

way too expensive
no real need either
Old 03-17-2015, 10:08 AM

Default Orange Blossom Guitars

Doug Montgomery & Bill Fels (a.k.a. Orange Blossom Guitars in Orlando).

Disclaimer, I haven't played much in the way of luthier guitars, but have played a lot of high-end instruments. I usually just go to Doug and Bill to work on my other guitars, but this weekend I was in there to drop off an old guitar that needed a crack repaired, and had the chance to play a dread and OM made by these guys. Blew me away. Played a gorgeous Brazilian Rosewood & Spruce OM that looked, played, and sounded amazing.

They sometimes use local woods, repurposed woods, etc. so some of their stuff has a 'sustainable' vibe.

They have made guitars for a few well known folks- Jimmy Buffet, Kirk Hammet, I think- a few others on their wall.
Washburn B9 Banjo
Some electrics and a bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion