The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-12-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdm0509 View Post
Hey man... Understandable if you're paying attention to my sig, although that's only a reflection of my typos lately. I'm still on Kim Walker and Mike Greenfield's list in the next 2 years, I just accidentally deleted those lines adding the Traugott.

The only build I actually "started" and stopped was the Brondel... more soon when I'm not on my phone (and prone to make the errors that confused you earlier!).

-Brett
Got it. Well, then that's one incredible set of builds you have going. Congratulations.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:57 PM

Hey guys-

So many of you remember that this thread originally started years ago (insane! April of 2011!). More accurately, it started a period of general GAS which–at least for me–was more of a "winter of guitar discontent" that had me hopping all over the place. I was buying and selling left and right and my guitar playing actually took a hit.

That period ended largely with some problems with a couple of builds, and that then at least indirectly caused me to set the guitar down altogether. In the span of two years, I had bought and sold (among others) a Ryan, a Greenfield, and a Traugott. Pretty heady stuff, and I'd take back any of those guitars in a heartbeat given the chance.

Of all of them, I miss the Traugott the most. It was the most alive instrument I'd ever played, I loved the process (although I have nothing but respect and friendship for Mike Greenfield, and I've never met Kevin Ryan, so that's not a knock against them), and it truly was a lifetime instrument. But I was always looking for something "better" or chasing names or just foolish and indeterminate.

I also ended that period with two deposits (that still exist): one on a Greenfield, slotted for sometime in 2016, and a Walker deposit I made years and years ago, which appears to be due in late 2016 or so. Neither of those are new, but they've just been sort of sitting in the background. (The Walker wasn't even in my sig because it was a sort of pipe dream!) Besides, it didn't matter, I wasn't playing. I didn't care. Add to that a Kraut rebuild that would show up ... sometime? Guitars were the last thing on my mind, and the monies for all of those had either been paid in full (Kraut) or were deposits I couldn't get back if I wanted to. End of an era, I suppose.

Live and learn, right?

As many of you recall, I recently picked back up the guitar, and was going to buy Juston's Brondel, and then switched to a build. Laurent came highly recommended. But quickly after, MikeD wanted that spot, and timing worked out for me; I had decided I was going to go after one of the Kostal guitars that Jason Kostal was building for Memphis: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

I also looked at getting a baritone, buying back that original Greenfield, picking up a Franklin from Mike Joyce... I kept flipping. My wife was going nuts, because to her it felt (rightly so) like I was slipping back into that old mode. For me, it was something different: I wanted to get one guitar, and I just wasn't sure about any of my options. Nothing clicked and resonated so strongly that I was ready to pull the trigger. Even the Kraut that's coming is somewhat of a mystery!

Then I sent a flyer email to Jeff Traugott, the guy who had built me that "one guitar to rule them all" R model... "Hey Jeff, long shot and all, but do you have any beater guitars? Anything just lying around that's torn up and pounded on that you could sell for (relatively) cheap?" No matter how much I'd saved, I couldn't get up into the Traugott range.

And, well, Jeff replied. We've always had a great relationship, and I'd like to say he appreciates that I'm a player who really does want to beat the crap out of an instrument for a long period of time. At least, that's what I want now... and he seemed genuinely flattered that the R he built me stuck with me. Incredibly humble guy...

Anyway, turns out he has a BK model that he'd started to build for someone, and the top had blown up on him. He had to tear the top off, and needs to rebuild that top. He'd also already drilled two endpin jacks for a dual system, and it sounds like the original purchaser had backed out (either because of the top, or finances, or who knows what). Anyway, although it will be a brand new guitar, Jeff isn't selling it at full price because his often-collector clientele doesn't want two endpin holes, or whatever else...

...but I don't care a BIT about that! Anyway, we talked for the better part of an hour, Jeff really bent over backward to make some things work, I am selling a kidney, two of my three kids, and everything else bolted down...

...and the deed is done. Jeff is going to create a new top, and continue to build this BK cutaway for me. To say I'm excited or a little surprised is an understatement. And what has me excited (and my wife) is that since I talked to Jeff, all indecision has disappeared. I'm 100% committed to this guitar, I have no second thoughts, and we're off to the races.

In fact, I had a chance just today to get an earlier slot with Kim Walker, and I'm going to pass because I'm –that– excited about this Traugott. (Don't get me wrong, I'm holding on to my original time slot with Kim. I'm just trying to represent how excited I am about this Traugott.)

So what's next? I'm not sure. The Kraut comes tomorrow, and I have no idea what's going to happen there. But as I said, that's a guitar that was bought and paid for in 2011, so I can enjoy that without worrying about it compromising anything with the Traugott. I have no other builds but the ones started years ago, and those aren't due until 2016 or beyond.

So now it's just time to start thinking on and focusing on the Traugott, and in the meantime, trying out this Kraut.

Sometimes, you just have good days...

Next post: details... and pictures. Woo hoo!

-Brett

CF MARTIN 1930 OM-18 - Mahogany/Adirondack
GIBSON 2018 Memphis Limited 1963 ES-335 - Maple/Maple
MCCONNELL 2021 Electric Semi-Hollow - Wenge/Sitka

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 03-12-2015, 04:49 PM

Don't forget your Kraut will be quite green and wet when you get it. I'd sit on it until next year before making any decision so it can settle down and it's full potential be more realised. I'd do that and get to know your Traugott in the meantime.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:43 PM

That is quite a story Brett. Your poor wife!

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 03-13-2015, 02:38 AM
Charter Member

Hopefully it'll be smoother sailing from here on out, Brett. Looking forward to the music that is to come from all of this on these amazing instruments.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgennaro View Post
That is quite a story Brett. Your poor wife!
Ha ha! She's excited about the Traugott... She can already see how excited -I- am about this...

-B

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 03-13-2015, 10:30 AM

Default Build Specifications

Jeff and I have had a ton of discussion this week, and settled on the specifications of my guitar:

2015 Jeff Traugott BK model
Brazilian Rosewood back and sides (wait until you see it!)
German Spruce top with Jeff's "darkened" lacquer
Django style rounded cutaway (something new Jeff did that looks killer to me on the BK)
"Vibrant" Brazilian rosewood rosette
27" - 25 3/8" fan fret
Ebony fretboard and bridge with no inlay (the inlaid board is gonna be a wall souveneir)
Dual pickup system:
* K&K Pure Mini (under-soundboard transducers)
* Sunrise magnetic pickup with mini-jacks for easy removal when not in use
Hoffee case

I'll be going out to California in July for a work conference on Earth Science, and will be driving up to Santa Cruz with one of my best buddies (Mark Reese, also on the AGF) to pick up the guitar in person.

Pictures to come, and they're ridiculous. Even for Jeff's stash of Brazilian, I feel like I am going to have one of the most beautiful guitars around.

-Brett

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 03-13-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringjunky View Post
Don't forget your Kraut will be quite green and wet when you get it. I'd sit on it until next year before making any decision so it can settle down and it's full potential be more realised. I'd do that and get to know your Traugott in the meantime.
Huh? Ray would never build with green, wet wood. There is no reason to let a new guitar sit in a closet for several months while it "settles down." A good guitar sounds good when new.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
Huh? Ray would never build with green, wet wood. There is no reason to let a new guitar sit in a closet for several months while it "settles down." A good guitar sounds good when new.
Completely agree. Ray did ask me to let the guitar settle under tension overnight, just to let the neck acclimate to tension after a few days in a box without it, but that seems to be about action, not tone.

I would expect a good guitar to start out good and get better, not start out OK and slowly get good.

My experience, worth what you paid, but I agree completely, Howard.

-Brett

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 03-13-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdm0509 View Post
Completely agree. Ray did ask me to let the guitar settle under tension overnight, just to let the neck acclimate to tension after a few days in a box without it, but that seems to be about action, not tone.

I would expect a good guitar to start out good and get better, not start out OK and slowly get good.

My experience, worth what you paid, but I agree completely, Howard.

-Brett
I was being figurative. What I meant was don't rush to judge because of the emotional baggage that's come with it.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:43 AM

So back to the thread...

Traugott...

-Brett

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 03-13-2015, 11:52 AM

Well, I'm stoked to watch the thread.

Rick Turner sent me over to Jeff's shop one summer, just to check things out. It was completely unannounced. A moment after I knocked, Jeff came walking over from another nearby shop with parts of Charlie Hunter's bridge, then showed me around. It felt like being backstage with a rock star.

Brett, a few years ago I clicked onto your YouTube channel and really enjoyed watching your videos. It also introduced me to On The Path, which got me playing some sweet stuff. Even if the past few weeks have been a dust bowl in terms of guitars, so what? Sometimes that's life. It's fun to watch all this stuff getting worked out, and I'm excited to see some new pics!
Old 03-13-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcn View Post
Looking forward to the music that is to come from all of this on these amazing instruments.
^ this.

At the end of the day, guitars are just tools to make music. I've been where you've been although - thankfully! - not with quite as much determination. I was chasing the "best " guitar on the planet, got loads, chopped/changed, ended up with a fabulous Traugott and then started worrying about what it cost everytime I picked it up. I've had some really fabulous guitars, but always wanted something "better". I would confabulate elaborate constructs to justify why this guitar was the right one for me. A few months later, another one appeared to justify one more. I see lots of that in this thread, by your own admission.

Perhaps the most important thing I've learned is that there are a ton of really good builders out there, and any one of their guitars will do the job when it comes to making some music. Once you're above a certain quality level - and Brett, your guitars are waaaay above it! - then the guitar may be immaterial other than the flavour you think suits your music best (trad/modern, fundamental/overtone, big/small etc).

I made the decision to sell all of my acoustics, get an OM and MD by a relatively new builder, and to then try and forget about chasing the Grail. These days I try to focus more on unearthing some cool tune to play than obsessing about the guitar I'm going to play it on. I'd love to be a far better player, and I'm not going to get there by buying more guitars; I have to play them. So far, it's working nicely and I've been "clean" for quite a while.

I really hope that you can do that too, with whatever of the truly great guitars you have coming. You had some pretty cool videos up on YouTube and I really enjoyed listening to them and hearing you play. I really hope we can have some more of that.

Hope it works out.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 03-13-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
^ this.

At the end of the day, guitars are just tools to make music. I've been where you've been although - thankfully! - not with quite as much determination. I was chasing the "best " guitar on the planet, got loads, chopped/changed, ended up with a fabulous Traugott and then started worrying about what it cost everytime I picked it up. I've had some really fabulous guitars, but always wanted something "better". I would confabulate elaborate constructs to justify why this guitar was the right one for me. A few months later, another one appeared to justify one more. I see lots of that in this thread, by your own admission.

Perhaps the most important thing I've learned is that there are a ton of really good builders out there, and any one of their guitars will do the job when it comes to making some music. Once you're above a certain quality level - and Brett, your guitars are waaaay above it! - then the guitar may be immaterial other than the flavour you think suits your music best (trad/modern, fundamental/overtone, big/small etc).

I made the decision to sell all of my acoustics, get an OM and MD by a relatively new builder, and to then try and forget about chasing the Grail. These days I try to focus more on unearthing some cool tune to play than obsessing about the guitar I'm going to play it on. I'd love to be a far better player, and I'm not going to get there by buying more guitars; I have to play them. So far, it's working nicely and I've been "clean" for quite a while.

I really hope that you can do that too, with whatever of the truly great guitars you have coming. You had some pretty cool videos up on YouTube and I really enjoyed listening to them and hearing you play. I really hope we can have some more of that.

Hope it works out.

Cheers,
Steve
Steve-

I love this. My number one hope right now is to get videos going again, not because I want to video, but because it means I'm playing and honing tunes and focused on music! I've got a Don Ross tune I've been working on that is blistering fast, but man it puts a smile on my face!

Ultimately what stopped my waffling even in the last two months was this guitar and knowing that the R (OM size) I previously had did everything, and did it well, and wasn't a fight to play. While I looked –really– hard at some other incredible builders over the last few months, only the Traugott met my list (which I actually wrote on my phone one night while at my son's soccer practice, and mailed to my wife) of what guitar would cause me to play rather than create more "want." Some of those other fantastic builders had, for me, risk: not risk that the instrument wouldn't be amazing, but that it wasn't something I *knew ahead of time* would work, and I could fix my sights on without wondering.

Ultimately, I kept coming up with doubts and reasons to buy, or not buy, or maybe buy... and then the Traugott opportunity came up, and that all went away. It's a builder I know and love, an instrument that is a known quantity (I've played one, loved it, regretted selling it, etc.), etc. And suddenly, I'm dreaming of playing this tune or that tune, rather than trying to figure out what to order.

It's a good feeling, and movement forward. I've also, as long as I'm trying to be transparent, got a good buddy who's involved in all this and helping make sure I don't get caught up in any guitar rat races again. Like Steve, I'm in recovery, ha ha ha!

-Brett

[SoundCloud | YouTube]

Last edited by bdm0509; 03-13-2015 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:33 AM

Default Full Speed Ahead

With my recent Kraut now in my hands and evaluation, I'm full speed ahead on the Traugott build, which is about as exciting a thing to say as I can imagine.

Jeff just sent me some "in the raw" photos of the back and sides, as well as some sister sets of the same Brazilian as my BK that are under finish. I'm still struggling to locate the oxygen after seeing these show up.

Here's the back, unfinished, and obviously not cleaned up. That said, I think you can see the quality of Brazilian we're dealing with here!

Yeah, I –suppose– its "OK" wood... ha ha!

This one is gonna be special.

-Brett

[SoundCloud | YouTube]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop