The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-12-2010, 07:41 AM

Default Need an interface.

I am looking at settin gup a small home-recording station. It will be used to record demos - needs to multi-task, but main captures will be vocals and acoustic guitar. I'm not lookin to break the bank - $300 or less, but I want one that doesn't glitch too much...been considering the presonus and the Saffires, but would definitely appreciate some suggestions from those with experience.

Thanks.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:57 PM

I used to use a presonus firestation alot. Worked great no pops and clicks like you get with USB occasionally. Now I use an M-Audio Fasttrack Ultra 8R, its USB and not bad either.

Think I would still recommend firewire though.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:17 PM

I got the Saffire 6 and the MXL 990/991 (large/small condenser) mic set. $300 no matter where you go.

I have an older HP laptop and I have no issues with latency. Everything I've read about the Saffire (reviews mainly) have nothing bad to say about compatibility issues with whatever version of Windows, provided you get the latest drivers from Focusrite, which is not a problem. I run XP and have not had to do anything, just plug and play.

Here's a quick sample.

I used to have a Lexicon Omega and only one large diaphragm condenser. My new setup beats it all to heck.

YouTube (GuiTuber)
SoundCloud

My modest collection:
Hohner HGK-512 (no strings; lifted bridge)
Yamaha FG720S-12, w/ p'ups
Alvarez AJ60S, w/ p'ups
Ibanez AEB5 acoustic bass

Pickups: JBB-Electronics Prestige 330 (SBT) - finest quality at half the price

Recording gear:
Focusrite Saffire 6
MXL 990 and 991 condensor mics
Old 05-12-2010, 06:03 PM

Shall I assume you have a PC, B-Nads?
Old 05-12-2010, 06:16 PM

I do, but I'm considering buying a mini mac to devote to the project. I am leaning towards the Saffire Pro 24.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:28 PM

I use a Mac, and my interface is a TC Konnekt 24D. I use it along with Logic. I get excellent results. Many folks are more comfortable with Pro-Tools, but I suppose it depends on how you approach music creation. I think Logic is popular with keyboard players, and Pro-Tools a lot more with guitarists.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:41 PM

My work is primarily vocal and acoustic, Eric - for the most part, it will be for recording demos of songs I've written for promo pueposes.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:42 PM

Take a look at the Echo AudioFire series. I'm very pleased with my Echo AF8 that I've had now for about 3 years. I've had it installed on a PC's running XP and Vista operating systems and now on my new IMac 21.5. It has operated flawlessly all three systems. It has very useable pre's, nice converters and Echo's drivers are solid and up-to-date.

'03 Martin OM-28V
'04 Breedlove McKenzie Mando
'05 Seagull S12+
'06 Larrivee LV-03E
'07 Takamine TC132SC
'08 CA 7M-CE, '08 CA Cargo
SWR California Blonde II, AAD Cub
Old 05-13-2010, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Nads View Post
I do, but I'm considering buying a mini mac to devote to the project. I am leaning towards the Saffire Pro 24.
Just curious, as I'm not a whiz at this stuff, but how do they get 16 in/8 out on this unit if it only has two physical inputs?

Not trying to hijack the thread. I was just reading the product info on Focusrite's web site and this has got me puzzled.

YouTube (GuiTuber)
SoundCloud

My modest collection:
Hohner HGK-512 (no strings; lifted bridge)
Yamaha FG720S-12, w/ p'ups
Alvarez AJ60S, w/ p'ups
Ibanez AEB5 acoustic bass

Pickups: JBB-Electronics Prestige 330 (SBT) - finest quality at half the price

Recording gear:
Focusrite Saffire 6
MXL 990 and 991 condensor mics
Old 05-13-2010, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Default B-Nads - Buy a DUET!

Aloha B-Nads,

I read that you're intending to buy a mini Mac for your project. That's a great value. But what might be the best interface value for you with that unit - even under $1500 - would be the two-channels-at-a-time-Apogee Duet. If you need more channels, yeah the others would do.

The Duet is fully integrated into the software and hardware of all Mac computers. It offers by far the best preamps of any interface under $1500. That means great sound and no compatibility hassles at all.

I researched for 2-1/2 years DAWS and interfaces before buying a new iMac/Duet/Logic Pro 9/Glyph storage rig. After a stint w/ PTLE, Digi 003, and a PC, my new rig has been a complete relief with no error messages and great sound. It's streamlined and easy to use.

I also own a couple of well-known higher end preamps. But I don't even hook them up much anymore for recording because the Apogee Duet's preamps sound so good on acoustic guitar and voice.

The Duet can be found for $400-500, a little above your price range.

Try one out and hear the difference. But the integration with Macs was the final deal-sealer for me.

You may not need more than two tracks at a time. If I did, I would buy a used Apogee Ensemble. Again, the sound is everything and I just don't hear it in M-Audio, Presonus or Omega level products.

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 05-13-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

I agree with alohachris .If you are considering a Mac then Appogee would be something to definitely consider. The duet would get you into 2 channels of good quality pres. Personally I really like the Appogee unit that I use. Even though I do not happen to use the preamps in it, I would if I needed them. As far a Focusrite and this is totally IMO. I was less than thrilled with the pre's on the ISA 220 that I had, and sold it. If you are going Mac based the appogee is ready to roll with logic and would be easily integrated with additional channels in the future. I happen to use PTLE but logic would be my second choice.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-13-2010, 01:53 PM

AlohaChris,
I was wondering how the iMac is working. I was thinking of getting one of them. I know you researched this for awhile and wondered about what is the specs on a mac that will work. I have Logic Express and a Presonus Firestudio project but thinking of what mac I want to buy.

Good choice on your appogee. I went for the 8 channel presonus and should have went with the duet.

-Tom

Toms Soundclick Page
Old 05-13-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhancox View Post
Just curious, as I'm not a whiz at this stuff, but how do they get 16 in/8 out on this unit if it only has two physical inputs?

Not trying to hijack the thread. I was just reading the product info on Focusrite's web site and this has got me puzzled.
It has ADAT which can carry like 16 channels of digital i/o. Of course you wont have any use for them if you don't use any digital signal generators/processors.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
...The Duet is fully integrated into the software and hardware of all Mac computers. It offers by far the best preamps of any interface under $1500. That means great sound and no compatibility hassles at all.... You may not need more than two tracks at a time. If I did, I would buy a used Apogee Ensemble. Again, the sound is everything and I just don't hear it in M-Audio, Presonus or Omega level products.
I'm in agreement here, along with KevWind: If you're going Mac-based, then the Apogee Duet is your ticket (along with Logic or Logic Express). I'm a firm believer that mics make the most difference in your chain, by a long shot, but as far as pres go, those on the Duet are (from my experience, and in my opinion) far superior to anything you'll find on a lesser-priced (and many higher-priced) pre/converter. The Ensemble is a big jump up in price and a bit more susceptible to quirks and problems (check gearslutz.com), but the Duet is pristine, clean, simple to use, all but invisible in your process if all you need is two inputs.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Default Aloha Tom

Aloha Tom,

I've had my iMac/Logic Pro 9/Duet/Glyph recording rig for six months now. I've also been getting training in Logic under Apple's one-to-one program ($99 bucks when you buy a new Mac). For what I am trying to do, it works perfectly.

The iMac and Duet were made by Apple and Apogee to work seemlessly and problem-free together. All the software and hardware are recognized and available on your screen. I have not had one crash yet. Not one! And the Duet's preamps sound really natural and great to me.

That Duet will be surely an all-time classic piece of audio equipment. It's simple to use, doesn't take up space, is portable, looks great on your desk with Mac's and sounds wonderful on my voice and instruments. For what it is, $495 list is nothing to spend on this first-rate interface.

In fact, this rig is really more than I really need. But I wanted a full service, pro level DAW/rig that was problem-free, integrated and with great sonic quality and compatibility, and this really is it.

In saying that it's more than I need, I mean, when I first began training at the Apple store in Kahala, the young man tried to show me everything about Logic - at 100 MPH! Like most at those noisy stores, he's under 30, is amped out of his mind on 24/7 technology inputs and has a vocal style that sounds like he's on 15 cups of coffee and half a dozen lines - with that semi-Valley Girl-speak they favor today. Just an observation made by this old man here, not a judgement.

So I had to slow him down. I told him, all I want from training is a basic, simple workflow for tracking, mixing, editing and mastering my under-10 and mostly two-track recordings of my music - for non-commercial purposes. That helped him to focus and not waste my time.

The trainer's expertise is really not in recording live music, but like most youngsters, in DJ'ing or quickly producing music from samples with an emphasis on midi and VI's - a very different focus than mine. But he's one of only three Logic trainers on Oahu and they all have the same "producer's" focus.

That Logic Pro 9 sure has everything: thousands and thousands of samples, plug-ins, loops, midi, VI's, even 64-bit capability. Amazing! And I won't be using ANY of them for my recordings because I love and am committed to the sound of the acoustic guitar and my voice miked, unprocessed and un-edited! So you see, I don't need all the bells and whistles - or samples either. But I sure like to mess around with them all, making my own little mixes, especially of loops - for dance party music.

It's really interesting, the payoff for my generation of players was in mastering the playing of instruments. The payoff now is in producing and putting together sampled sounds quickly and appropriately into music - by non-players.

I can see it's attraction and enjoy the results, but still feel it's more honest to record and play music you actually play/create. And also, I can hear the same Logic samples I have all the time now in TV commercials, sameness being a problem when everyone uses the same samples and VI's.

So, I didn't have to get too deeply into the specs with the iMac/Logic Pro 9 and the Duet upon first hearing it, although the specs and flexibility are great (i.e., if I want to use 24-bits at 88hz, I can - unlike with Garageband, stand-alones, or many other DAWS).

All I wanted - after the error nightmare of PTLE on PC's and trying out some 12 other DAWS in advance - was something that sounded great and worked everytime. Logic's workflow makes sense to my particular sensibilities and works and sounds great everytime for my purposes. And I'd never previously owned a Mac before! That's all anyone could want, right?

Learning a DAW of any brand is a steep learning curve for me. It'll take me many years of experimenting before I find workflows and techniques that truly make my music sound professional. But I have spent many days at recording studios over the years and have a clear idea about mic/preamp/music/guitar/voice combos, mic placement and recording acoustic guitar. I'm lucky in that I find myself liking the DAW learning process. That Apple one-to-one program really is fantastic. I recommend it to anyone - like the OP - who's buying a new Mac.

Finally, if there's one thing that needs more understanding and money put into it that anything else in home recording? It's ROOM TREATMENT! Pay your respects to it gentleman. I sure am learning to.

A Hui Hou!
alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 05-14-2010 at 12:27 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD