The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Can't live without a cutaway?
Yes, I have to have one 41 22.91%
No, I don't like them at all 50 27.93%
It's optional. If I like the tone I'll get it. 62 34.64%
Couldn't care less either way. 26 14.53%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-25-2020, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I have 5 guitars - 2 with cutaways and 3 without. I like having both.
Best,
Jayne
Old 09-25-2020, 09:27 AM

I voted for "could go either way". While I typically base my guitar buying decisions on tone, I do admit to having an aesthetic bias to guitars with no cutaway. On some bodies it just looks weird to me (like dreadnoughts). However, some cutaways are actually pretty gorgeous- like the cutaway on Emerald's new X20. I don't care for bulky "blob" looking cutaways if that makes sense.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:28 AM

If presented with two relatively identical options, I'll always choose the cutaway, since I do capo up frequently (5th to 7th frets) and it makes a number of pieces I play much easier. I recently picked up a Dread with no cutaway because it checked every other box. I'm not sorry about that at all (hey diversity is a good thing ), but it would have been great to score it with a cutaway.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 09-25-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
I'm a fingerstyle player. Most of my guitars do not have a cutaway, and I'm up past the 14th fret regularly. I sometimes use the neck heel against my palm as a reference point.

The only place where I feel they are necessary, for me anyway, is on a 12 feet guitar.
On a guitar like that I would need at least 10 ft. of cutaway.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:39 AM

Chet Atkins didn't call the area where the cutaway gives you acess dusty end of the neck for nuthin.. "The first 6 frets are where all the money is!"

he was a character...

I can take it leave it. I wont NOT buy a guitar because it doesn't have one, nor will I not buy a guitar because it DOES have one. wait, I think I just confused myself... (which aint hard to do..)
Old 09-25-2020, 09:55 AM

My guitar is a tool I use to play in a duo, and I must have a cutaway.

Of course one of the great advantages of a duo is the opportunity to pair one player's rhythm strumming against a second player providing leads, solos, fills, contras, etc. which I'm mostly responsible for. Because of that I'm playing way up there quite often.

Last edited by Twitch; 09-25-2020 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:52 PM

I have played "lead acoustic guitar"--you know all those widdly bits up and down the neck. Yet I do not own an acoustic guitar with a cutaway. The first guy who I saw play acoustic would just reach his fingers over the face of the guitar to get up high on the neck, and so when I started playing a few years later, I just did the same.

If I found a guitar I liked at a price that I found amendable, I wouldn't turn it down because it had a cutaway.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 09-25-2020, 02:08 PM

I like the look of the cutaway on my Taylor 814ce. But I generally prefer the look of guitars without a cutaway. For example, I think Martin guitars look much better without a cutaway. I have never needed the cutaway either. I don't play past the 12th fret.
Gibson G-45 Studio
Martin X1-DE
Washburn WP21SNS
Taylor 110
Mitchell D120
Old 09-25-2020, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

I could go either way. I don't need a cutaway and don't really like the way they look. But if a guitar clicked for me in all other areas, I'd definitely buy one.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Yes, especially so on 12 fretters.
Mandatory and ergonomically satisfying. Though Eric Skye does well without one.
Old 09-25-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I find that now I can't live without one. I play finger style and frequently use a capo (at the arrangement's direction) and things can get odd without one.

I own 4 guitars right now. Two of them are cutless and two with cutaways. I enjoy all of them for what they bring to the table. Unsurprisingly, for me, the ones with cutaways are brighter; but also may have to be because one of them is a GA and the other has offset soundholes
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 09-25-2020, 05:23 PM

I just sold a cutaway and switched to a 000 body. It felt strange at first but I was just noodling and played at the 16th fret and it didn't bother me. I made the adjustment pretty quickly to be honest.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:37 AM

I prefer the look of a cutaway acoustic, which some purists find positively blasphemous. That said, my next guitar will be a spruce top dreadnought without a cutaway because I don't own one now (which some purists find equally blasphemous).
Old 09-26-2020, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Talking Cutaway preference

functionally , I love cutaways! Visually, there are some guitars that just don't look right to me with it like dreadnoughts or true classical guitars.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I find that now I can't live without one. I play finger style and frequently use a capo (at the arrangement's direction) and things can get odd without one.
Hi Barry

My experience as a player and as a teacher is if people don't play "up there" they are less likely to appreciate cutaway guitars.

I own/play a cutaway, which when I'm playing certain songs, I prefer it because it makes it easier to play clean at the 17th fret.

All my electrics are cut-away, and when I'm playing backing guitar, I'm going to be playing up in the range where that range is appreciated.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion