The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-08-2017, 01:53 PM

Arrow (Condenser Mics.) Audio Technica AT2020 vs. Mc310 Alctron vs. Samson C03

Hi I was wondering if anoyone tried any of those mics before, I'm intending to buy a condenser microphone to record fingerstyle and classical guitar.
For fingerstyle I was thinking in recording with direct in and a condenser, the classical guitar doesn't have electronics, so only condenser.

I could stretch my options to a Rode NT1a but that's it. I'm not sure if the difference would be that big against one of the other three mics.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:13 PM

For fingerstyle guitar I recommend two small condensers recorded in stereo. No direct recording.

There are many options available. ISK is highly regarded for being affordable yet using high quality components. 3U Audio is another.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:52 PM

Why would two microphones be needed? Is that to pan the audio?
Old 10-08-2017, 04:33 PM

Creates a stereo image. My preferred style - 2 Small condensers. Rode M3 matched pair might work for you.
Martin J40
Old 10-08-2017, 06:46 PM

Cool LoHz Dynamic w/o Phantom , Condensers w/ Phantom & HiHz Matched Pair Mics

I've the C01 and after testing it's [ Quietness ] on my Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 I found it to be quite a nice mic .
The difference in the C01 & the C03 is the roll off switches to attenuate the LoHz's boominess and gain level if it's to hot a mic for your interface , aside from
that they are the same mic .

I've used a Shure SM57 and the results are really good too .

Between these two mics the natural sound of a guitar's reverberation is captured pretty nice .

I'm about to go into my Scarlett's two line inputs with the stereo output of my Tascam DR44WL's
X/Y [ matched pair ] condenser mics .

With the DR44WL I can use the C01 w/phantom , the SM57 w/o phantom and the X/Y Stereo condenser
mics all together going into my 6i6 line inputs . In ther [Right Room ] this could be really awesome .

On stereo imaging -

Their is a good sounding difference doing this with a pair matched mics .

I've a pair of matched vintage Unishpere PE585's HiHz mics to experiment with also these mics have a Shure SM58 tone kind of quality . The XLR/TRS mic input allow me to use the Uniphere's too on the DR44WL

To be honest it's fun to see how each group of mics record's a sound .

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 10-08-2017, 08:08 PM

solo acoustic (or classical) guitar is typically recorded with a stereo pair of mics. Many people favor the small diaphragm condensers for this because the smaller diaphragm responds quicker which yields better transient response and a more focused top end, albeit at the cost of a higher noise floor than a larger diaphragm.

Many great recordings were also made with a pair of large diaphragm mics (like U87s or C12s). The difference here is a slightly "smeared" top end (its the audio equivalent of a very gentle blur in Photoshop). That's because the larger diaphragm just can't react to the transients as quickly as smaller diaphragm. Oh those pesky immutable laws of physics

Buy within your budget, but buy at the top of your budget.

If I had all my mic buying to do over I'd start with buying fewer, but better mics from the get go and not having to unload a bunch of less expensive stuff to get the keepers.

HTH

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 10-08-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Howell View Post
Creates a stereo image. My preferred style - 2 Small condensers. Rode M3 matched pair might work for you.

So the Rode M3 has two microphones? (Didnt get it clear)

Is there any condenser microphone that already comes with two mics for panning or do I have two buy two of the same microphone (or one from one brand and another one different)?
Old 10-08-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacatedral View Post
Is there any condenser microphone that already comes with two mics for panning or do I have two buy two of the same microphone (or one from one brand and another one different)?
you would typically buy a matched pair of the same brand/model.

I believe the Rode NT4 is an X/Y stereo mic...though you'll likely get better results with other stereo setups IMHO.

I believe the Rode M5 comes as a stereo pair.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 10-09-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacatedral View Post
Hi I was wondering if anoyone tried any of those mics before, I'm intending to buy a condenser microphone to record fingerstyle and classical guitar.
For fingerstyle I was thinking in recording with direct in and a condenser, the classical guitar doesn't have electronics, so only condenser.

I could stretch my options to a Rode NT1a but that's it. I'm not sure if the difference would be that big against one of the other three mics.
If you're just getting started, one mic will be fine. Your room acoustics are probably the biggest challenge. Even the best mics on the planet won't provide the best results in a compromised environment.

Regards,

Ty Ford

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Tags
condenser, condenser microphone, fingerstyle, recording