The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-19-2010, 02:38 PM

Default new dread

Hello... I recently finished my newest using some of the oldest woods I could find.

It is built of river recovered old growth Honduras mahogany (back, sides, neck and headplate). The fretboard is river recovered old growth sapodilla, the chewing gum tree, with a MOP mahogany branch inlay at the 13th fret. The bridge is river recovered old growth bullet tree(ebonized). The top is adi (not old), bindings are curly maple and the purfling is end grain sapodilla from the river as well.

These old growth woods were cut down by the British back in the 1800's in British Honduras; now the country of Belize. We have been locating the logs and bringing them up to the states to saw, dry and use for woodworkers and musical instruments.

I haven't recorded it yet but I can tell you that the instrument has a great rounded tone with the ability to jump out in the mids and highs. I like it alot.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:38 AM

It is indeed very very nice!
Curious to hear her voice using those very old woods.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:04 AM

Very nice work. It looks gorgeous. Would love to hear an audio clip.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:15 AM

Looks great! I like seeing custom dreads!
Old 05-20-2010, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Chris,
Beautiful looking guitar! I really like the look of that mahogany. I realize there is a difference in density and tone comparing new growth to old growth honduran mahogany. Is there a difference in the density and tone of this sinker old growth honduran mahogany compared to more typical old growth honduran mahogany? I've seen some sinker honduran mahogany at some of the tonewood supplier websites, is this from the same source?

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 05-20-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:00 AM

Thanks guys.

I have been so busy getting ready for Bean Blossom that I haven't had a chance to get some audio. I'll try to make it a point to lay down a fiddle tune tonight and get it posted.

Chuck,
I believe there is a difference in tone. I'll have to get some audio up so you all can hear what I hear.

Although the sinker has had anaerobic bacteria eating away at the cells walls causing the mahogany to become very porous, I believe it still is a bit more dense. Tapping the lumber or cut sets gives a nice tone. It has quite a few more growth rings than the plantation grown mahogany that you typically see, which is good. The source of this mahogany is actually myself and my business partner Rich. Rich and I have an agreement with a corporation in Belize to mill, dry and distribute all of the logs they bring up from the river bottoms. We went down to Belize in January and met with our partners there as well as forestry/CITES officials and attorneys. All concessions and permissions are in place and legal. All of the logs were cut down by the British way back before CITES was in place, so, all of our lumber comes with Pre-CITES certification; one step closer to compliance with whatever the Lacey act will enforce some day? Currently Rich sells most of the lumber through his business and I take the instrument grade lumber and produce back and sides sets, etc. although as we have really just started late last fall, we do not have a good supply coming to the US, yet.

By the way, the mahogany is not stained or dyed. That is the natural color under MacFadden's nitro.

thanks,
chris
Old 05-21-2010, 06:05 AM

Here is some audio I threw together last night. Just a lead with some low volume rhythm. I wish I had access to my favorite test driver all the time, he can really drive the guitar to its limits.
It is recorded using an AudioTechnica pro37 mic on a Tascam Neo recorder.

Billy In the Lowground
Old 05-21-2010, 06:09 AM

Awesome wood selection! These back and sides look really completely un-rosewoody.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K III View Post
Awesome wood selection! These back and sides look really completely un-rosewoody.
I second that. My Wife says its' the wood that makes it good!

Olson Brazilian Dread #1325
Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
Olson Tiger Myrtle Dread #1355
Olson Brazilian Jumbo #1351
Olson 12-string Jumbo (one of only a few)
Martin D-42 Johnny Cash #51/200 (only 80 made)
And a few others

Quite a few limited edition and rare Martins
-----------------

http://www.kekomusic.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop