The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-26-2020, 08:06 AM

Much of this is guitar-specific and personal preference. I've had a set of Martin Lifespan SP MSP7200 on my D18 since July 2019 and it sounds like honey.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 09-26-2020, 09:07 AM

I'm always jealous when I read from players who use the the same set of strings for months. I mean, if someone likes the sound of old strings, that's ok. But I sense, those players mean, their strings sound like new.

My strings take about 15 hours of playing time to sound completely dead - I'm talking about Elixirs and treated Martin strings here.

I have no idea why, but it is like that. :-( Ok, I like the sound of new strings, or better, the sound after 2 days. But after 2 weeks it is boring to play those strings, after 3 weeks I can't stand them anymore.
Sometimes it needs one gig to kill a set of Elixirs.
And I have a few instruments, therefore I change strings every weekend.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 09-26-2020, 09:28 AM

There was an interesting poll on this forum. I hope the link works:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=578509

According to that poll about 83% of players like their strings best within the first week after putting them on. At least I'm not alone.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 09-26-2020, 09:38 AM

Hi Carol,

As you can see, there's no simple answer for when to change strings. I think body chemistry has a lot to do with it. I have a buddy who sweats a lot and I think has a more acidic sweat because his strings get discolored go dead really fast. How much you play and how hard you strum makes a difference. It sounds like some people get more mileage out of coated strings than you, but when they don't sound good to you, it's time to change. If you can get EXPs for $8 a set, that's a good price. The uncoated version of those strings goes for $17 for a 3 pack at Sweetwater (no tax or shipping) just for comparison. New strings are always refreshing. D'addarios seem to need a little playing and settling overnight before they sound normal.

As far as a set up goes, if you're playing an hour a day and your left hand isn't getting tired, you're probably fine. I have heard some reports from owners of new Eastmans that their guitar came with high nut slots, that can make it very hard to finger those first few frets. On my E20D-TC the nut slots came spot on but the truss rod was not adjusted correctly. It sounds like you're extremely lucky to have a good tech at your local store. It wouldn't hurt to have him look at it and see if he thinks it needs any adjustment. It shouldn't cost anything for a yes or no answer. If he's any good, he won't make adjustments without watching you play first.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:44 AM

^^^
Well, this is a great answer with lots of good information
Old 09-26-2020, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

Lots of good advice here. Definitely take your guitar in for a second set of eyes. If it doesn't need a setup, then great! But if it can benefit from some adjustments, it will help the guitar's comfort and sound.

As for strings, it's fun to experiment until you find what works. As for longevity, that depends on how much you play, your body chemistry, and the type of strings. I have a dozen guitars, so each get about an hour/week (more or less), and my GHS strings last about three months, which is perfect b/c that means I change one guitar each weekend (on average).

I like GHS PB lights (6pk for ~$30) for most guitars and GHS Vintage Bronze for my Mahogany body guitars (like your E6OM). I think the more mellow VB string brings out more fundamental sound of the Mahogany wood.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:22 PM

CarolD,

I am of the belief that your guitar will tell you when it needs a string change.

Right now, my 355 needs one, but that may be why I keep two 12 stringers. And that is maybe why I use Elixirs when I don't have acid fingers.

Besides, if I change it, my inner self says to tune it to DADGAD.
Hmmmm . . .

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 09-27-2020, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoy View Post
Hi Carol,

As you can see, there's no simple answer for when to change strings. I think body chemistry has a lot to do with it. I have a buddy who sweats a lot and I think has a more acidic sweat because his strings get discolored go dead really fast. How much you play and how hard you strum makes a difference. It sounds like some people get more mileage out of coated strings than you, but when they don't sound good to you, it's time to change. If you can get EXPs for $8 a set, that's a good price. The uncoated version of those strings goes for $17 for a 3 pack at Sweetwater (no tax or shipping) just for comparison. New strings are always refreshing. D'addarios seem to need a little playing and settling overnight before they sound normal.

As far as a set up goes, if you're playing an hour a day and your left hand isn't getting tired, you're probably fine. I have heard some reports from owners of new Eastmans that their guitar came with high nut slots, that can make it very hard to finger those first few frets. On my E20D-TC the nut slots came spot on but the truss rod was not adjusted correctly. It sounds like you're extremely lucky to have a good tech at your local store. It wouldn't hurt to have him look at it and see if he thinks it needs any adjustment. It shouldn't cost anything for a yes or no answer. If he's any good, he won't make adjustments without watching you play first.
Thank you so much for this! And no tiredness in my left hand. The only thing I ever notice is the B string in the first fret seems a tad harder to fret than the other strings (and I mean a tiny, tiny bit). And I have been trying to learn strumming right now and have been going at it a bit hard :>, so that’s definitely a factor. I think it is good advice to have someone give it a look over. And I wouldn’t mind paying the tech to change the strings for me at the same time just so they make a little bit of money.
Emerald X30 Woody
Traveler EG-1 Custom
Old 09-27-2020, 06:29 AM

I do it twice a year. That's my story.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion