The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 10-10-2005, 10:20 AM

Question Strumming Techniques

I am a beginner and was wondering if there are any good sites or videos that would explain different strumming techniques?

Possibly with videos playing popular songs? I am learning chords pretty fast but I have trouble keeping the rythm of a song because I get lost trying to keep up with the strumming.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:12 PM

There is only one way.

Use your own ear, listen to rhythms and with the TAB try to play the same. Eventually you'll develop a feel for the strumming patterns and you will learn different patterns and combine them with other chord progressions the more you learn.

So, just listen to the song you're trying to play and then strum with it.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:30 PM

being able to execute a decent rhythm strum was a huge obstacle for me, and it was resolved over such a long period of time that i really don't know what i did to get past it. whatever i did was probably the WRONG way. in retrospect, i would say that having a very even right-hand rhythm is key. you should aim for a consistent up/down motion with your strumming hand, and then focus your attention on where the accent goes. on the upstrokes, downstrokes, or a combination of the two. it also depends greatly on what kind of style you're going for. for example, the alternating bassline is very common in bluegrass and a bunch of other stuff, and something you're probably going to want to work on eventually. in fact, i would say bluegrass rhythm technique is a good thing to practice in general, as it requires being selective about what strings you hit with each strum, something that is important in just about all styles.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:48 PM

Being able to strum will come with time as mentioned above. I remember the first song I strummed - Knock Knock Knocking on Heavens Door. I didn't do anything special as far as learning or technique. It just happens one day you pick up the guitar and start strumming.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:06 PM

1/2 step up might be to consider listening to artists whom believe in the less is more theory and have exploited the 3 chord theory in their music and / or song writing (in english - listening to tunes easy to play along with). For some reason Country & Folk seem to work best for that. By learning to play in sync with a CD from an artist's tune you are already familiar with, you not only learn their strum patterns, but as a result, will learn enough to start expiermenting with the development of your own patterns, as well as, development of your ear for sound & key change, but most importantly, "TIMING!" You can strum like bee fluters its wings trying to avoid a fly swater, but if you have no ability to keep time, it matters little. Especially, if your going to eventually play with other guitar players, musicians in general,...and / or, on a stage....in front of people...etc. Timing, its relevant. Isnt it ironic? The only down side to said approach is that by the time you get the tune down, strum patters and all, you'll be so tired of the song you wont care how its sounds. Solution, work on 2-3 tunes at the same time.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stGenHeel
I am a beginner and was wondering if there are any good sites or videos that would explain different strumming techniques?

Possibly with videos playing popular songs? I am learning chords pretty fast but I have trouble keeping the rythm of a song because I get lost trying to keep up with the strumming.
Here's what I've found in my struggles to develop rhythm. Trying to follow the rhythm of a song is hard, because you first need to practice at a slower tempo to learn the song. Get a metronome and practice at half speed, for example. Listen to the rhythm or get the music. Is it 4/4 tempo? 3/4? 6/8?

For example, The Beatles "Hide Your Love Away" is 6/8 tempo. You can hear Lennon start the song by saying 1-2-3 ... 1-2-3 .

I've found DVD videos are helpful. I can see as well as hear what is playing. And they slow it down and show you how it's played.

I have a Beatles instruction DVD from Hal Leonard showing "Norwegian Wood," "And I Love Her", "Julia" etc.

Also an excellent Clapton Unplugged instruction DVD.
http://tinyurl.com/bgscr

Doug Boduch is the instructor and an excellent player himself.

All this has helped me.

The key, slow it down so you play smoothly in time.

Last edited by dpa10; 10-11-2005 at 12:17 AM.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:17 PM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Using the metronome makes sense, and I am glad you mentioned "Hide Your Love Away." I have the hardest time picking up the timing of the strumming in that song.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpa10
Here's what I've found in my struggles to develop rhythm. Trying to follow the rhythm of a song is hard, because you first need to practice at a slower tempo to learn the song. Get a metronome and practice at half speed, for example. Listen to the rhythm or get the music. Is it 4/4 tempo? 3/4? 6/8?

The key, slow it down so you play smoothly in time.
I'm glad someone finally said this. Doing is slow with a metronome is THE key to learing this IMHO. The other recommendations are fine, but this one is much more important to reduce the time required to learn and get it right.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:04 PM

There are lots of videos that start from basic chords, and do rhythms and strumming patterns. I am a member of Netflix, so I get access to quite a few of these. However, I learn much more from my instructor (am already on 7-chord progressions after about 1.5 months).
Old 10-12-2005, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarlander
I'm glad someone finally said this. Doing is slow with a metronome is THE key to learing this IMHO. The other recommendations are fine, but this one is much more important to reduce the time required to learn and get it right.
I believe I may be repeating advice you gave me a couple of months back. Thanks again.
Occassionally I rush it up to performance tempo and get a little sloppy. Some of the training videos and audios play it both fast and slow. This helps in hearing the rhythm at the slower speed.

It's funny that I've had so many people recommend playing along to the music but they fail to realize that it just may be too fast for fledgling beginners.

I've heard there is software that can slow down audios while maintaining proper pitch? This would also be a great tool for picking up the rhythm.

Does anyone know what it is and where to get it?
Old 10-13-2005, 06:52 AM

Quote:
It's funny that I've had so many people recommend playing along to the music but they fail to realize that it just may be too fast for fledgling beginners.
YES, YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD. EVENTUALLY PLAYING ALONG WITH THE MUSIC AT FULL SPEED IS GOOD, BUT INITIALLY IT CAN CREATE BAD HABITS SO THAT ONE NEVER QUITE "GETS IT".

Quote:
I've heard there is software that can slow down audios while maintaining proper pitch? This would also be a great tool for picking up the rhythm.

Does anyone know what it is and where to get it?
I HAVE HEARD A BUNCH OF PEOPLE RECOMMEND "AMAZING SLOW DOWNER" SOFTWARE. YOU CAN SLOW DOWN THE MUSIC AND YET STAY IN PITCH. GO HERE: http://www.ronimusic.com/
Old 10-13-2005, 10:34 AM

Default How does anyone play with metronome?

Is there a book showing how to practice with a metronome?

1995 Taylor 412e - "Rosey"
2003 Alvarez MSD1 - "Alvie"
1991 RED Fender Stratocaster MIM - "Reddie"

--------------------------------------------
I was worried about my future until I read Matthew 6:34.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:47 AM

different models of metronomes have a variety of features. The ones that I think are the most effective are those that allow you to hear the subdivisions of each note, and you can change the balance -- I have a boss DB-90 and I like it so far for this functionality. When you are practicing with a metronome, it's like the most important thing to know is what is the exact rhythm of the figure or exercise you are trying to play? if it includes tied-together note values, or dotted note values then the metronome is not going to have those, but by having 8th 16th and triplet note subdivisions, you should be able to mentally lay out when you should be changing notes in relation to the metronome, or you should first practice by clapping or tapping out the exact rhythm of the phrase while the metronome is going. Once you know that you've got the rhythm, set the metronome on a nice low BPM setting so that you can play the figure completely 100% perfectly. Once you have done some repetitions, then speed the metronome up 7-10 BPM and try again. Don't allow yourself to turn it up to the next step in the sequence until you can do it at the current speed 100% perfectly. Hope that helps some...
Old 10-13-2005, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~j~
different models of metronomes have a variety of features. The ones that I think are the most effective are those that allow you to hear the subdivisions of each note, and you can change the balance -- I have a boss DB-90 and I like it so far for this functionality. When you are practicing with a metronome, it's like the most important thing to know is what is the exact rhythm of the figure or exercise you are trying to play? if it includes tied-together note values, or dotted note values then the metronome is not going to have those, but by having 8th 16th and triplet note subdivisions, you should be able to mentally lay out when you should be changing notes in relation to the metronome, or you should first practice by clapping or tapping out the exact rhythm of the phrase while the metronome is going. Once you know that you've got the rhythm, set the metronome on a nice low BPM setting so that you can play the figure completely 100% perfectly. Once you have done some repetitions, then speed the metronome up 7-10 BPM and try again. Don't allow yourself to turn it up to the next step in the sequence until you can do it at the current speed 100% perfectly. Hope that helps some...
Excellent answer. I couldn't agree more!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell