The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-14-2018, 10:07 AM

Default “The Mule”

If anybody goes to see Clint Eastwoods’s latest, (and probably his last), offering “The Mule,” I would like to hear what you think about it. Reviews I have read so far on it say it’s a pretty good movie and the trailer for it is certainly enticing.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:06 PM

I'm going to see it tonight. Will report back.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryzer View Post
I'm going to see it tonight. Will report back.
10-4 veryzer, looking forward to your take on it.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
If anybody goes to see Clint Eastwoods’s latest, (and probably his last), offering “The Mule,” I would like to hear what you think about it. Reviews I have read so far on it say it’s a pretty good movie and the trailer for it is certainly enticing.

I just read a positive review of it in today’s Los Angeles Times. Definitely sounds like a must-see but we are cheap and lazy and so will wait for Netflix.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:03 PM

The Seattle Times gave it one out of four stars today so maybe a love it or hate it movie.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:22 PM

I watched it earlier, I thought it was a really good movie. The movie was almost full Clint is still bringing folks out to see his movies.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
I just read a positive review of it in today’s Los Angeles Times. Definitely sounds like a must-see but we are cheap and lazy and so will wait for Netflix.
I’m not much on the whole public movie theatre scene myself either Blueser. On top of being super expensive with rude people and their cellphones, it ain’t exactly the safe place it used to be if you get my drift. Yup, Ill be waiting for it to be streaming as well, although I suspect Amazon Prime Video will have it welll before Netflix ever will.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I’m not much on the whole public movie theatre scene myself either Blueser. On top of being super expensive with rude people and their cellphones, it ain’t exactly the safe place it used to be if you get my drift. Yup, Ill be waiting for it to be streaming as well, although I suspect Amazon Prime Video will have it welll before Netflix ever will.

[emoji106][emoji16]
Old 12-14-2018, 09:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuksan View Post
The Seattle Times gave it one out of four stars today so maybe a love it or hate it movie.
I wonder. Hard to believe with as many films under his belt, and as good as most of them are, that Clint would put out a 1 star film.

Sometimes it's just a critic with a different perspective I guess.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:03 PM

Consider the source. This may be a movie worth seeing on the big screen.
scott
Old 12-14-2018, 10:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
Consider the source. This may be a movie worth seeing on the big screen.
scott
I'm not familiar with the source so I would have no opinion on that.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
I wonder. Hard to believe with as many films under his belt, and as good as most of them are, that Clint would put out a 1 star film.

Sometimes it's just a critic with a different perspective I guess.
Just got back from seeing it and it ain't a one star film. That being said, if you're expecting something on par with Million Dollar Baby and Gran Torino, I think you'll be disappointed. I loved those movies; this one was just pretty good.

I'm not as articulate as a lot of people on this board when it comes to movies, so I'll just lay out a couple of impressions. He plays a similar character here: a flawed old man with a lifetime of regrets, particularly in the realm of family, but he's not quite as sympathetic.

His movies have always been a little rough around the edges, but that's never gotten in the way of their most prominent feature: heart. If anything, the roughness kind of compliments it. While this movie does have "heart," especially the last part, relationships seem to be too quickly repaired or cobbled together...it's just more "manufactured" than his best movies.

So, in short, it's definitely worth watching, but it's not among his best.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryzer View Post
Just got back from seeing it and it ain't a one star film. That being said, if you're expecting something on par with Million Dollar Baby and Gran Torino, I think you'll be disappointed. I loved those movies; this one was just pretty good.

I'm not as articulate as a lot of people on this board when it comes to movies, so I'll just lay out a couple of impressions. He plays a similar character here: a flawed old man with a lifetime of regrets, particularly in the realm of family, but he's not quite as sympathetic.

His movies have always been a little rough around the edges, but that's never gotten in the way of their most prominent feature: heart. If anything, the roughness kind of compliments it. While this movie does have "heart," especially the last part, relationships seem to be too quickly repaired or cobbled together...it's just more "manufactured" than his best movies.

So, in short, it's definitely worth watching, but it's not among his best.

From what I've read about the character the movie is based on, he had little or no redeeming qualities..

He had pretty much neglected and abandoned his family and ex wife, and there were no reconciliations as far as I've read...

He transported cocaine for a cartel from 2004 till he was arrested in 2011, when he was pulled over outside Detroit with 2 Million in cocaine and $900,000 in cash...

His admitted he knew what he was doing, and his story was simply that "he liked to drive and the money was good..."

I watched an interview with the DEA agent who tracked and help arrest him, and he didn't bad mouth the movie, but said he could definitely see that they'd obviously taken liberties to make the old man appear much more likeable and sympathetic to an audience...

I'm on the fence about wanting to see this movie, even tho I'm a huge Clint fan, and this may be his last movie...
Old 12-15-2018, 12:03 PM

I liked Million Dollar Baby and Letters from Iwojima, but though Gran Torino was pretty bad actually (the acting at times was just awful). So, I'm hit and miss on Eastwood films. This movie doesn't look like it will do it for me either, but I'll watch when it comes to cable or Netflix.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 12-15-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
I’m not much on the whole public movie theatre scene ......it ain’t exactly the safe place it used to be if you get my drift. ....
Where the heck do you people go to the movies?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic