The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-12-2018, 07:58 PM

Default Netflix “The Ranch” Sans Rooster

Now here’s a thread knee deep in the weeds huh? Ha! I just finished watching the latest season of “The Ranch” with Sam Elliot and company. Those of us who are fans of the show knew that this would be the first season without one of the main characters, Rooster, played by the very talented and funny Danny Masterson who was fired after being accused of raping four women, charges which btw have yet to be proven in a court of law.
Anyway, was just wondering what my fellow Ranch fans thought of the first season without him. I won’t get into detail so as not to ruin anyone’s viewing experience who hasn’t seen or finished the new season yet, but I will say that his character being written out of the show has left imho a huge void that was glaringly obvious and was not in any way filled by the addition of the new character written into the show who is apparently supposed to replace Rooster. A swing and a miss if you ask me. This guy never came within shouting distance of filling Rooster’s shoes. Rooster was freaking hilarious and I don’t think I laughed once during the entire new season without him.
Really disappointing that Netflix decided to fire Masterson before official charges were ever filed or the case ever got to court, and he denies the charges vehemently. Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty? Don’t think I’ll
be watching any further seasons of The Ranch myself. What say you fellow Ranch fans?
Old 12-12-2018, 08:53 PM

Hopefully, you'll find another show that you'll enjoy just as much.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:51 AM

I agree with what you’ve said. It’s just not the same show that it was when he was there. I’m holding out hope that they get their heads out of their butts and bring him back. Definitely lacked the funny aspect that it use to have and is pretty much just a drama this season without him.
I also agree that it’s pretty pathetic now days that a accusation (with no proof) can make you a out cast. To me when they railroad folks (not just actors or politicians) over a accusation only they cheapen it for the ones that actually have endured the real crimes.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcamp View Post
I also agree that it’s pretty pathetic now days that a accusation (with no proof) can make you a out cast. To me when they railroad folks (not just actors or politicians) over a accusation only they cheapen it for the ones that actually have endured the real crimes.
You have a point, but we also have to be careful with things like this. Yes, people get railroaded sometimes--it happens.

And certainly I am not saying anything about the innocence or guilt of Masterson, because I have no idea what actually happened.

I would note, though, that it's actually five women--not four--who have accused him of rape, that the L.A. County DA's office has said it has "compelling evidence" and that there have been at least two rape charges filed against Masterson by two different alleged victims going back to 2004.

- John Shedd
Old 12-13-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcamp View Post
I agree with what you’ve said. It’s just not the same show that it was when he was there. I’m holding out hope that they get their heads out of their butts and bring him back. Definitely lacked the funny aspect that it use to have and is pretty much just a drama this season without him.
Seems they did leave themselves some “wiggle room” to reserct Rooster if the opportunity presents itself pending the end result of Masterson’s legal issues and if he in fact ever would want to return to the show after Netflix cut him loose before the charges against him even reached trial. Don’t imagine he’s too pleased with that move by Netflix.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:18 AM

There's lots of ways to get fired with no charges being filed. In fact, that's how a vast majority of firings happen. Or, in 'at will' states, you can be let go for no reason at all.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddslide View Post
You have a point, but we also have to be careful with things like this. Yes, people get railroaded sometimes--it happens.

And certainly I am not saying anything about the innocence or guilt of Masterson, because I have no idea what actually happened.

I would note, though, that it's actually five women--not four--who have accused him of rape, that the L.A. County DA's office has said it has "compelling evidence" and that there have been at least two rape charges filed against Masterson by two different alleged victims going back to 2004.
It's "innocent until proven guilty" not "innocent until accused".
Old 12-13-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Agreed. And unless I missed something, he's not in jail. Is that not correct?

Last edited by RedJoker; 12-13-2018 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Precisely why I went out of my way to expressly say I have no opinion on, and would not comment on, his alleged guilt or innocence.

I enjoy his work as an actor and know zilch about his private life. He may well be the kindest guy in the industry who would never do harm to anyone.

I expect there have been times an innocent person has been accused of things (railroaded) they never have done or would do either because someone is out for revenge or spite, or they hope to get their name in the papers or even perhaps for a payout.

I have no idea what the case is with Masterson. I definitely would like to learn that he is not a serial rapist and that these women have not been victimized.

On the other hand, if he does turn out to be guilty of raping five women, I'd be fine with him being put in a concrete cell underneath the prison.

- John Shedd
Old 12-13-2018, 06:42 PM

“On the other hand, if he does turn out to be guilty of raping five women, I'd be fine with him being put in a concrete cell underneath the prison.“

Agree 100% Muddslide if that turns out to be the case.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:20 AM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
“On the other hand, if he does turn out to be guilty of raping five women, I'd be fine with him being put in a concrete cell underneath the prison.“

Agree 100% Muddslide if that turns out to be the case.

I know nothing about either the show, or the actor, but wouldn't being accused of the same crime by FIVE different women raise some sort of a red flag to you? It sounds like the producers of that show made the right decision, to me?

Don
Old 12-14-2018, 12:58 AM

Quote:
True. But you don't have to be guilty of a crime in order to be fired from a job. Just ask Colin Kaepernick.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
True. But you don't have to be guilty of a crime in order to be fired from a job. Just ask Colin Kaepernick.
Now let’s not go THERE!. 😂
Old 12-14-2018, 04:58 PM

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
Now let’s not go THERE!. 😂

Old 12-17-2018, 10:48 AM

My question is, did he know he wasn't coming back when they did the the story arc that led to the last episode of Season 5?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic