The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-13-2018, 12:00 PM

A dog needs a job. A dog needs something during the course of the day to stimulate their mind. Also, they must be given a bone or toy that you continually reinforce in a good way is OK for them to chew. Everything else is off limits. But you stated you are a long time dog owner and I think you already know this. I am not trying to be condescending but sometimes we forget the most basic things when working with new dogs, thinking that they already know the rules. 18 months is still a young dog, so be patient. You know what they say-three years a young dog, three years a good dog, three years an old dog.
You and your puppy will do great!
Old 12-13-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
[*]Yes, he is crate trained but I want a house dog;
Our dogs are house dogs, too, but when they are young, until they learn to be trustworthy, they are crated with something good to chew any time they cannot be supervised. For us, this means our goal is that 100% of the time, a puppy - and by "puppy," I mean a dog of any age who hasn't yet learned not to destroy the house if no one is looking - is either a) watched or b) in his crate.

(I say this is the "goal," because of course I have on occasion screwed up in the supervising part, and done something like answer the phone and not realized the puppy was shredding the bath mat or chewing the woodwork. . . . When that happens, I resort to punishment - of myself, by beating my head against the wall as I resolve to do better.)

As you know, this is a ton of work, especially with smart, high-energy dogs. It takes time, energy, and planning every single day to get those dogs the physical and mental stimulation they need. But I don't want my dogs to have the chance to rehearse bad behaviors - that'll only make it harder for them to get to the point where they can be trusted with more freedom.

I should mention that all of our adult dogs still have crates. The doors on them are usually open, and the dog go into them all the time by choice when they want to rest. They really do like having their own spaces.

Good luck, and hang in there.

Last edited by cmd612; 12-13-2018 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

1. Hire a good dog trainer to address any immediate issues. This will solve your problem the most quickly. Get recommendations. Typically a good trainer will use a “clicker” to shape the behavior and train you how to use it as well. This is similar to techniques used for professional animal training

2. Sign up for weekly group obedience classes, preferably using “clicker training. It may take more than one round of classes.

3. Make sure everyone old enough in your house uses consistent techniques and commands.
Guilds: 69 F312 Braz, 89 Nightbird II, 91 Nightbird CU, 94 GV70, 96 A50 flattop, 06 CO1 Cedar, 11 F30CE, 13 CS F30R Reno Star, 14 GSR F30CE Coco, Orpheum OM RW, Orpheum SS Hog. SOLD: Guilds: 78 F40,79 F112,’87 GF60R,94 DV72,07 CS F47 Braz,11 DD6MCE,12 F30,12 F30R,18 F2512. Other: 70 Epi 5102,74 Ibanez LesPaul,90 Gibson ES347,15 Alvarez MFA70,15 Martin OM28VTS,15 Epi ES339Pro,16 Alvarez AF60

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic