The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-10-2018, 08:50 AM

Default Tascam pocket recorder

Interested in any experiences or feedback on this little device. Is it all it appears to be?

Interested in capturing stuff I’m working on at home as well as recording gigs for self evaluation.

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2018, 09:10 AM

My wife is a fiddler and I bought her a Tascam compact or pocket type recorder. I don't recall the model, but it has been a couple of years and models change anyway.

That said, before you buy a recorder of that type, look at the Tascam dp006 unit. Small, lightweight. It may serve you better. It is kind of a mini studio recorder. 6 track capability and much more.

I won't bore you with specs- it may not be what you want. It is a very nice and inexpensive unit, though. I think it is more versatile than the hand helds. Check it out. See what you think.

Good luck.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:58 AM

Default DR-05

I have a Tascam DR-05. Simple to use, inexpensive, great sound reproduction.

I highly recommend it.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
Interested in any experiences or feedback on this little device. Is it all it appears to be?

Interested in capturing stuff I’m working on at home as well as recording gigs for self evaluation.

Thanks!
HI Sh56

All the different brands of small digital recorders do the same things and are reasonably priced. I've played with several brands, and try to stay current.

My personal preference are the Zoom recorders (I own an H1n, H2, H2n, H4, H4n) which I use for a musical-notebook to record ideas, and for recording audio to later replace the audio when shooting video.

Any of the various brands do the same basic functions.

For me where Zoom shines is support, and quality to stand up to 'field' conditions. None of them are waterproof without a case. Zoom have updated existing recorders fixing issues, and adding new (useful) functions in every model I've owned.

For the basic models, the Tascam is great. It has decent mics and does a good job, and has a tripod socket on the bottom. A tripod is usually better for remote recording with these little units than a mic stand-and a decent tripod can be had at Costco or Sam's (or online) for around $30.

The basic unit is $80 (USD) and you can get bundles on Amazon that include a semi-hard case, and goodies.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-10-2018, 11:29 AM

I own and use a Zoom R24, so I'm not biased against Zoom. That said, I purchased a H1 and really didn't like it. It was built very cheaply and the side controls were extremely difficult to use.

I then purchased a Tascam DR-05 and it's miles ahead in quality of construction. The Tascam is just a slight bit more complicated by menus, but once you know how to perform the basic stuff there's no need to use the advanced functions.

The bottom line, of course, is how they sound. The H1 sounds great, and so does the DR-05.

There is one "substantial" difference, with the H1 having cardiod pattern mic elements and the Tascam DR-05 having omni elements. The Zoom can be used to produce a bit more "direct" and close up sound while the DR-05 will exibit a bit more of the ambience of the room. The room ambience can be minimized by making sure you close mic when recording something like a stereo guitar. The DR-05 is slightly larger and noticeably heavier than the H1, but that goes along with the overall perception of higher quality.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:50 AM

I have a TASCAM DR-07 that I've used about five years now. Absolutely no complaints, it's feature-rich, easy to use, and is really easy on batteries. I attach mine to my music stand, so it's always ready to use, and never in the way.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:13 PM

Ditto on the Zoom. I haven't used the Tascam but I"m sure it will give similar results.

These little gadgets produce very good recordings.

I used to record my wife (professional classical musician) with a reel to reel and powered microphones. I had a trunk full of equipment.

Now I bring along a nice $50 tripod that's very portable and the Zoom with extra batteries in my pocket. Easy to use and easy to get the recordings on to a PC to listen to or work on the music files.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
That said, before you buy a recorder of that type, look at the Tascam dp006 unit. Small, lightweight. It may serve you better. It is kind of a mini studio recorder. 6 track capability and much more.....
I've got the DR05. It's not big on playback, but a recording can be downloaded to your computer (a .wav file) and played back, or imported to a DAW (I use cubase elements) to work on or add more tracks.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 12-11-2018, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

My gripe with all of them is the speakers are barely useable. I like to be able to hear back what I've played/sung without using either earbuds or an external speaker. I have a Zoom H2n. Records great. Sounds bad. Guess there's no space in the tiny recorders for a useable speaker.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 12-11-2018, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I own and use a Zoom R24, so I'm not biased against Zoom. That said, I purchased a H1 and really didn't like it. It was built very cheaply and the side controls were extremely difficult to use.
HI Rudy4

The Tascam being discussed is a fine recorder. It does a good job and is $40 less expensive than the new Zoom H1n.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-11-2018, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
My gripe with all of them is the speakers are barely useable. I like to be able to hear back what I've played/sung without using either earbuds or an external speaker. I have a Zoom H2n. Records great. Sounds bad. Guess there's no space in the tiny recorders for a useable speaker.
Hi Karen
But they all still accept headphones unlike many phones which have become too thin to put the headphone jack and circuitry into…and ear buds do sound far better than a sub-1" (25mm) speaker.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 12-11-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
HI Rudy4

The Tascam being discussed is a fine recorder. It does a good job and is $40 less expensive than the new Zoom H1n.

Agreed. Notice in the next line down that I purchased a DR-05 and found it a much better hand-held recorder.

Folks have to understand that the speaker that's built-in is little more than a way to sort through recorded files and to see if you actually have a recording. You must have another way of listening to your recordings. There's no way that a 1/2" piezo-electric disc is going to provide you with anything approaching good sound at any volume. They fit in your pocket so don't knock them for lacking quality sound.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
[size=2]Hi Karen
But they all still accept headphones unlike many phones which have become too thin to put the headphone jack and circuitry into…and ear buds do sound far better than a sub-1" (25mm) speaker.
Thanks LJ guitar for your thoughts. I like to use recorders for recording songs while I'm writing them. Play an idea listen back to it, play it another way, listen back to it, etc. It's annoying to be taking in and out earbuds. I might go totally retro and get a "shoebox" cassette recorder with a moderately decent speaker. Of course I won't be able to put it in my pocket.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 12-11-2018, 10:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
Thanks LJ guitar for your thoughts. I like to use recorders for recording songs while I'm writing them. Play an idea listen back to it, play it another way, listen back to it, etc. It's annoying to be taking in and out earbuds. I might go totally retro and get a "shoebox" cassette recorder with a moderately decent speaker. Of course I won't be able to put it in my pocket.
HI Karen…

Why not just plug the recorder into a small powered speaker, and then you have better playback while you write?

But I'm guessing you can find a 'classic' cassette recorder cheap! And Amazon dot com still sells cassette tapes. There is the inconvenience of rewinding and locating the spot you recorded last, but some of the ancient machinery has a counter which you set to 000 when you start so you can find your way back!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD