The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-08-2018, 02:57 PM

Default Pedal board help

Hey guys,
Looking for some advice or suggestions. As my family of pedals grows, so does the disorganization. They move around on me just being loose on the floor. I have them all on a daisy chain for power. Any pedalboard suggestions? I won’t be on the go with them really so portability isn’t a big factor. I have 4 or 5 I use most.

Thanks!

Gretsch 6228FM
Fender Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 01-08-2018, 03:32 PM

Of the widely available brands, Gators seem affordable. Can't vouch for the quality of the boards but the cases I've had were good.

Smaller is the Pedaltrain Nano:

I once had a Pedaltrain, they're nice.

If you're having noise issues, I would also suggest a brick-style power supply like a Pedal Power etc. I've found daisy chaining pedals can be noisy.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:52 PM

Thank you very much for the input. I bet that is where my noise is coming from. My amp (Bassbreaker 15) is near some other electronics, like a TV, and I didn’t know if perhaps it had to do with that.

Almost all of my pedals are similar size, the smaller compact ones. But a couple are slightly bigger. Not sure how this plays in, if they are set up for multiple sizes etc?

Gretsch 6228FM
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 01-08-2018, 05:59 PM

Do what I did... Got to Home Depot and find one of those fuzzy gray door mats that have just enough fuzz to look like it will hold velcro... because it will. Then just add male velcro to your pedals.

Now what I did was cut it to size to fit a large hard photo print case. That left enough for a smaller "board" that would fit into a standard size computer keyboard case. I also wanted to stiffen it a bit so I reinforced the back with strips from a cut up wooden yardstick. Cost: $4 plus pedals.

Here's a photo with some of my pedals along with the Line 6 and/or Boss switches...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pedalboard_complete_sm.jpg (43.9 KB, 237 views)
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 01-08-2018, 06:04 PM

I too was gonna make my own pedal board. I use mostly Boss pedals so I have the BCB-30 case. For gigs I'm narrowed down to 3 pedals: Tuner, Blues Drives, Delay. Lots of stuff on YouTube on how to make a board.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:35 PM

Ok that sounds pretty fun. I don’t need fancy or anything really. I could maybe save, you know, the cost of a pedal!

I like the Boss design. Never misfire when engaging. I have a Blues Driver and the DD-7 delay and love them. No issues with my E-H or MXR ones though.

Gretsch 6228FM
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 01-08-2018, 07:13 PM

My pedal board is a piece of plywood with little feet on the end to keep it slightly angled. I use velcro for most pedals and I also have a couple of small holes drilled in it so I can use zip ties on a couple of things (my power bar).
Old 01-08-2018, 08:22 PM

The first thing that came to mind was to cut a wooden pallet. Already has slots for power cables and what not. Could just put Velcro right on it.

Gretsch 6228FM
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 01-08-2018, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

I really like the Pedal Train boards - there are usually plenty of used ones on Craigslist and they are bullet proof. Otherwise, you can build one from lumber pretty easily.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 01-09-2018, 12:25 AM

I used to keep them on a rack and used a Ground Control and GCX audio switcher. Basically like having a Boss multi-effects unit, except you have the real effects in a rack shelf, and you can chain them any way you like; even different amps, as well as my ol' ADA MP-1 preamp. Wish I still had this setup!
Old 01-09-2018, 05:05 AM

For noise issues, plug everything related to your sound into the same outlet- use a multi tap outlet strip. Amp, one spot, etc. all into to. Otherwise, you get ground loops that are a nightmare. I use a One spot to power pedals with no problems with noise.

As for boards, the Pedaltrain stuff is pricey, but good quality. I have a nano and the PT-2.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:54 AM

Pedals breed like rabbits. I would suggest
Used pedalboard bigger than you think you need- I am not handy so I bought one.
Some Velcro-male and female.
A few zip ties for things like Wah that Velcro does not work well with
An isolated power supply. Cuts down on noise- watch for mA usage of the pedal though. Some of the new pedals use tons of mA which many smaller isolated power supplies cannot handle.

If budgeting buy power supply last
Old 01-09-2018, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich Novice View Post
Hey guys,
Looking for some advice or suggestions. As my family of pedals grows, so does the disorganization. They move around on me just being loose on the floor. I have them all on a daisy chain for power. Any pedalboard suggestions? I won’t be on the go with them really so portability isn’t a big factor. I have 4 or 5 I use most.

Thanks!
Depends on your budget while not cheap I am a fan of the Holeyboard by Chemistry Design Works ...
The pedals can snap tied on or "HD Velcro 2 wide " is what I use , and the cables can feed down into the holes also for a clean and organised look .
https://www.chemistrydesignwerks.com/holeyboards/
As Scotso mentioned if your buying get larger than you think you need.
If your DYI then you can rebuild as needed

Here is my Holeyboard as you can see I have room to expand

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-09-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Depends on your budget while not cheap I am a fan of the Holeyboard by Chemistry Design Works ...
The pedals can snap tied on or "HD Velcro 2 wide " is what I use , and the cables can feed down into the holes also for a clean and organised look .
https://www.chemistrydesignwerks.com/holeyboards/
As Scotso mentioned if your buying get larger than you think you need.
If your DYI then you can rebuild as needed

Here is my Holeyboard as you can see I have room to expand

Hey Kev, I would like to have one of those boards. I think it's here on the AGF where I first learned of Holyboard (perhaps you). I think I'd probably use zip ties, regardless, it looks like a great pedalboard option, price aside.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:10 PM

Okay the Holeyboard is pretty cool after looking into it!

This pedalboard search brought up one of my pet peeves. I ended up looking at used Voodoo Lab power supplies on Reverb. It always amazes me with popular items how people expect to almost get their initial investment back by selling used. So many items, after you pay shipping, cost what it would be new on Amazon with free shipping. I don’t know about you guys, but I need to save a bare minimum 15 percent on something buying used. But apparently there are many out there who are fine with saving a couple dollars and taking a chance. Almost everything I have is used except for two pedals which don’t cost all that much so it didn’t seem worth it to get used. I’m sure the market is determining these prices, but it kind of surprises me

Gretsch 6228FM
Michael Tuttle T style

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars