The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-07-2003, 07:59 PM

Default I want to be a better guitarist

I've been learning on my own for the last two years or so and can play fairly good at some stuff. There is nowhere to get lessons and I really dont have anyone to play with. You can only learn so much on your own. On the occasions when I can play with some one they are very accomplished and just blow right by me. My question is: what do I do to become better? I've seen guitar lesson stuff on CD's/VHS tapes and stuff like that. Is any of that any good? What would you folks suggest? Thanks.....
2021 224CE K DLX Koa
/COLOR]

Guitars, you only get out of it what you put into it

Member #885
Old 06-07-2003, 08:11 PM

What do you mean there's no where to get lessons? All you need to do is find someone who is a better guitarist than you and offer them money!!

Okay, maybe it's not quite that simple...but surely there must be some people around who would be interested in teaching and could teach you some things.....unless you are 50 miles from anywhere....

Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm -- Winston Churchill
Old 06-07-2003, 08:14 PM

gotta be somwhere in taylor heaven to learn

or find what you want to play get a good cd of it and then find tab and practice,practice,practice
Old 06-07-2003, 08:32 PM

I have CD's and the music sheets and thats what I play by. And yes I'm probably 50 miles from anywhere. I'm looking for some kind of structured lessons.
2021 224CE K DLX Koa
/COLOR]

Guitars, you only get out of it what you put into it

Member #885
Old 06-07-2003, 09:48 PM

I think video instruction is great especially if your not exposed to other players. I'ts the next best thing to having an instructor with you. Depending on the kind of music you want to learn to play there is certainly a video tape of it out there. Check out Homespun Tapes. Good luck
Old 06-07-2003, 11:19 PM

Default Re: I want to be a better guitarist

Quote:
Originally posted by James Willer
I've been learning on my own for the last two years or so...
You've been playing for two years and you have three Taylors? One of which is Brazilian, 2 LTDs, and 1 4xxRW!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want your job, whatever it is.
Old 06-08-2003, 12:00 AM

My opinion. There's SO MANY great ways to learn almost any type of guitar playing nowadays. Depends upon what style or tunes you're looking to master. Free tab online (some good ...some terrible), cd's to play along with, magazines ( The English mags with cds ... Guitar Techniques and Total Guitar are the stand outs ... superb!) as well as Fingerpicking and Flatpicking magazines, tablature books at the guitar stores and online, tons of videos and dvds (Homespun, Warner Bros Xpress, etc). Those Curt Mitchell tapes are really good if your looking at nailing a particular style or artist. Robben Ford's stuff is very cool but not for beginners. Many sites now have lessons that look good to me ... wish i had this stuff 30 years ago. Would have saved much hassle but I also enjoyed learning much on my own.

I have found some fantastic tab books on eBay ... many great ones are out of print now. I've never taken lessons and seem to have done okay ... The way I got decent was to play along with the original cd until I 'blended in' sonically. Slowing the music down while remaining in the original pitch is another 'trick' to get good. It allows you to REALLY hear what's going also. There's mechanical devices as well as software enabling us folks to slow the tune down.

So, chose the style or artist or sound you're desiring and focus on 'nailing' it perfectly. Of course, finding friends who are better than yourself is another option. Always practice a new piece slowwwlllly but steadily. Many rush and never duplicate the original riff. Good luck.
Old 06-08-2003, 12:49 AM

James-
First, you have to be truthful with yourself and ask "what do I wany to do with my music? Do you want to sound like someone else? the quick and easy way is to mimic others. Do you want to learn the guitar so that you can express YOURSELF and compose , then take the time to learn some music theory, learn to read standard notation and learn the notes on the fretboard.
All these things can be learned form reading,CD,TAPES, and practice.Even without an instructor. But it takes time and patience. There are some great books out.
Do a search for the posts of one's of the forum's most knowledge teaching members "Mapletrees" He has some great advice for someone like yourself.
Baby
Yamaha G-65(classical)
+ assorted junky guitars
1928 Steinway Upright
Old 06-08-2003, 08:00 PM

There are a few things that I have done in the past that have improved my playing and taken me past each inevitable plateau. I took four lessons to learn finger picking patterns when I was in my early teens. I learned Travis, inverted Travis, Roll, and inverted Roll using 2 fingers and my thumb. Next, I started concentrating on songs I liked and tried to copy the artist. For example, "The Boxer" got me using 3 fingers and thumb. I always tried to find someone who was better than me and asked them to show me what they were doing. If I could meet with them on a regular basis, I'd do it. Finally, I started playing in a church choir. There were 2 other guitarists and we learned from each other while exploring how to blend with a keyboard and the vocalists. Group settings make it fun. Practice makes it work. You gotta have the fun. By the way, Homespun has some really good videotapes.
Old 06-08-2003, 10:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

I just got a two tape series by Tony McManus on Celtic Fingerstyle...it is awesome...I think video is a great way to learn. Best of Luck!!!
Old 06-09-2003, 06:39 AM

I think as long as you're learning something new, and practicing in the process, you'll get better. Any number of ways to do that, but a visual medium, along with tab, will be the fastest route, in lieu of lessons. Personally, in addition to my own stuff, I've been building up a Steve Howe repetoire. It can take me weeks to learn and play one of his songs beginning to end. By the time I've completed one, I'm doing things and making sounds I'd have never got on my own .

Rick
Old 06-09-2003, 06:42 PM

I would just add to what everyone is saying regarding the video idea. Now you can even get DVDs which help. So between the videos, DVDs, books that come with tab and cd you should be able to find something to help you along. I feel like I have.
Midnight Shadow

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell