The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-16-2009, 07:12 PM

Default How to sing vocal harmonies -need help

I would like to start singing vocal harmonies to accompany my singer. I am not a singer and probably have average voice, but I can sing straight simple melodies in tune, but for the life of me harmony vocals are just tough for me for some reason.

I am looking for instructional DVD or a CD that can explain to a layman how to do vocal harmonies. Any of you have any idea which instructional; DVD or CD to get. There are so many, but I am looking for one that is the easiest to learn.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-16-2009, 09:36 PM

paul baloche has a back up vocals dvd....

not just on harmony but also singing with someone else.. blending etc..

it's not an intense hamorny but the basics of it is covered.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:38 PM

paul baloche has a back up vocals dvd....

not just on harmony but also singing with someone else.. blending etc..

it's not an intense hamorny but the basics of it is covered.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:08 AM

As the guitar accompanist you are at a distinct advantage, especially if you are the kind who figures out chord progressions by ear. By knowing the chords, you're halfway there--not only can you pick out a part other than the melody by picking the notes other than the tonic, you get an instinctive sense of the direction in which the melody and harmony are moving (especially passing tones). Start with "oohs" and "ahs" (never obscuring the lead vocal) till you learn the lyrics and your singer can tell you where (s)he does and does not want harmony. Let your ears and your fingers be your guide. And, whenever you can, harmonize--especially in your car. So what if other drivers think you're talking to yourself!

Keep learning by doing.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:27 AM

try to sing harmonies on each song you hear
what reallly helps is starting with songs that aren t to hard to do
try blue grass ,..will the circle be unbroken is a good one
listen to it, sing the first chord.. first so you can still hear it in your head..it ll stay with you and help you to hear the chords throughout the song, sing the song, and than sing the harmony with the recording ( it would be great if you could record multiple tracks of yourself, it s confronting but it is a great way to learn!)

I ve pactised every song over and over and over in my car..and it kind of becomes second nature after a while,..

I have students that I teach this..it s a pity you live so far away, I d be more than glad to help you out a bit but it s a long swim I think lol
Old 04-17-2009, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy View Post
As the guitar accompanist you are at a distinct advantage, especially if you are the kind who figures out chord progressions by ear. By knowing the chords, you're halfway there--not only can you pick out a part other than the melody by picking the notes other than the tonic, you get an instinctive sense of the direction in which the melody and harmony are moving (especially passing tones). Start with "oohs" and "ahs" (never obscuring the lead vocal) till you learn the lyrics and your singer can tell you where (s)he does and does not want harmony. Let your ears and your fingers be your guide. And, whenever you can, harmonize--especially in your car. So what if other drivers think you're talking to yourself!

Keep learning by doing.
Great advice!! I sing harmonies in my car all the time! BTW - people no longer think you are talking to yourself, they just assume you are talking on a hands-free cell-phone set-up! If you record some of your songs with your partner and burn a CD, you can use it to develop your harmonies in private and practice as much as you think is necessary before trying them out live with your partner!

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 04-17-2009, 09:26 AM

Not much help here but you can keep my 2 cents anyway

I always love to harmonize, when I was in rock bands in 60s we did a lot of Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young (may be you're too young to know those guys) and I've learned a lot from doing that.
So I'd say if you have a chance just listen to those guys and try to learn what they did, they're not only harmonize just 3rd of 5th but more than often they did the 9th also. I'm pretty sure you can learn cheap by doing that.
I also did (and still do) a lot of Simon & Garfunkel songs, I no longer have anyone to harmonize with but for so many hours (years) of listening and singing their songs I can say without any doubt that it helped me tremendously.
Give it a try I'm pretty sure it will help you more or less.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220volt View Post
I would like to start singing vocal harmonies to accompany my singer. I am not a singer and probably have average voice, but I can sing straight simple melodies in tune, but for the life of me harmony vocals are just tough for me for some reason.
Let me start by saying that I consider myself an average singer at best (and a pretty average guitar player, for that matter!) And I know nothing about music theory. I will speak from the perspective of bluegrass, because that's the world I live in ... but I think the concepts will apply to almost any music.

Harmony comes easier to some than others, but I believe it has to do with how we hear music. The more you focus on listening to harmonies, the easier it will become to create them vocally.

I have a friend who desperately wants to be in a band, and at age 60, feels like it's "now or never." Two years ago, he asked me what he needed to do. He his more than adequate as a lead singer, but does not play guitar well enough to carry a band. I told him that he either needed to improve his guitar playing to where he could at least be a strong rhythm player, OR learn to sing harmony as well as lead. I suggested the "listening and singing along in the car" concept, which I firmly believe in. Two years later, nothing has changed. To be blunt, I think most of it is because he wants to sing lead, and be in the spotlight. The other problem is he will not practice on his own. My point is, you must WANT to learn harmony in order to learn ... and you have expressed that desire. Two part harmonies are MUCH easier than 3 or 4 part, so you are starting in the right place as well!

To me, harmony is just making vocal chords. If you sing a C, and can then sing an E and/or G, you can sing harmony. While this is quite simplified, let's say you are playing a song, and it calls for a C chord. One of the notes in the chord is the lead ... all others will work as harmony. When the chord changes, the harmony choices change as well. On each vocal line, start by finding the right note for the first word, and for the last ... and then fill in the middle.

In bluegrass, the "formal" rule is the tenor part is 3rds, the baritone is a 5th, but dropped an octave, and in four part, bass is the root note of the chord. In two part harmony, you can wander between any of those choices, to fit your vocal range ... in glancing at a couple of your videos, you should be able to follow that concept quickly, without spending money on books and videos, at least to get started.

Playing music with my friends ... March, 2005
Old 04-17-2009, 12:04 PM

Some really good advices here. I know basics of theory and know how basics on how harmony works, but when I start singing it I always go to lead vocal. Even though I do hit some harmony notes sometimes, I subconsciencously always go back to lead whcile singing along. Maybe I just need to keep practicing over and over.

Singing in car is a good idea.

I am too young to be there with Crosby Still and Nash, but I like their music. Escpecially vocal harmonies. Doobie Brothers is another good one for vocal harmonies.

Paul Simon's music actually inspired me to start doing some vocal harmonies. Believe it or not Abba too (and coming from a metal head). Those gals can sing some wicked harmonies.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:21 PM

You should also practice your flexibility when learning how to sing effectively. Solfege (do re mi) should be done slowly and then quickly and then slowly again, so that your voice becomes flexible as you learn that control with every note. You can also control your volume as you begin softly and then crescendo to a higher volume and then back down again. The key to effective singing is controlling every note and every sound you make, not just in pushing the sound from your throat. If you try these simple exercises and remember these tips, your singing will be the best it can be.

Here's a video to help you sing better:

Vocal Exercises for Singers
Old 07-17-2014, 04:41 PM

Practice with OBVIOUS harmonies like Teach Your Children, which punch you in the face with their separation. You can pick out Graham Nash's voice so easily. That's how I learned (and I'm now pretty good...)

Everett-Celona
Taylor DDX
Heyser- Englemann/Maple
G&L ASAT

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell