The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-24-2008, 06:23 AM

Hi Bob

Sounds like you have a good plan and are taking your time. i think you mentioned wanting a control surface for logic if you went that route, just wanted to point out that you can get a control surface that will integrate very well with logic.

i think the new euphonix controllers would suit you and logic well, they are still working out some bugs and are new but you should check them out

or the MCU from Mackie i think also works with logic

here are some links

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MCcontrol/
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MCmix/

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MCUpro/
Old 04-24-2008, 07:36 AM

Trock,

Thanks for those links. Very much appreciated. The Euphonix controller is one of the subjects we discussed yesterday when I called Steve's Music in Montreal regarding the Imac/Apogee Ensemble/Logic Studio package. The Euphonix brand is new to me, but from what I gather, they manufacture some very hi-end pro gear for studios. The concept of working sans mouse is something which I find very appealing, but I also need more info on how this affects cpu utilization. This of course will determine just how much computer I'll need. All-in-all, the Mac/Apogee/Logic/Euphonix approach strikes me as a very well integrated package with solid support. I'm also attracted to the fact that I can ease into this new world via the Apogee Duet/GarageBand3 approach. I'm beginning to see a more clearly focused plan emerging.

That said, I haven't yet begun looking at software. As I presently see it, I have three possible avenues to follow; 1. DigiDesign/ProTools, 2. Apogee/Logic, and 3. Yamaha/Cubase. The fog is beginning to lift.

Bob
Old 04-24-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby1note View Post
The fog is beginning to lift.
I wish I could say that!!!!

Taylor HR-14 Hot Rod NAMM Limited Edition "Hot Rod" (Aniversary Present from my Wife)

http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/b...letrap-photos/
Old 04-24-2008, 06:04 PM

I think your set up of

MAC, logic, Euphonix, etc will work really well, the euphonix controllers i showed you are the artist series, basically for the project studio with the euphonix quality in them and yes euphonix controllers are world class

also logic with its reduced price to 500 bucks and all it offers is a great package, and will run on the mac really well

the controllers will add very little latencey, but if i were you i would get one of the new Pro Mac dual quad cores and a nice 27 inch monitor, or a couple of 23 inch ones. i use 2 24 inch dell monitors and spread my cubase windows over both for a really good workflow

also apogee is top of the line AD DA conversion,

all in all you really cannot go wring with that setup and you will have a great setup that you will love

also remember to treat your room first and also get good monitors/speakers

the dynaudio 6a or 5a i think they are get great reveiws

i have event ASP-8 monitors that have been great

obviously you can go into Adams monitors, or genelec, but i think best bang for the buck could be the Dyn's or events

do the room, and the gear we are talking about, and of course learn it all - haha - and you will truly be all set!

i would also really call mercenary to tell them what you are looking for, they sell the mic, mac, logic, monitors etc and they really knwo their stuff and will let you try stuff out until you are satisfied and return what you don't want! when you want

ask for fletcher and tell him trock or tim sent you, he has always helped me a ton

they do not have the euphonix controllers so iw ould go to local shop for those if they have them so you can get good support, or sweetwater

good luck though, its fun once you get over the learning curve
Old 04-24-2008, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

I've gotten into recording in the past few months after buying a Tascam DP01FX/CD. I originally looked at these a few years back when they first came out and they seemed interesting but somewhat pricey ~$700. Since then the prices have settled around $500. My local store had one they wanted to move so I picked it up for $299. I wasn't expecting a small "porta-studio" to provide high-quality recordings, but figured it would be a good introduction into digital recording. It has a 40 gig hard drive, 2 input channels which both have XLR mic inputs with phantom power and a 1/4" line/instrument inputs. It records up to eight tracks, has USP output for transferring to PC and a built in CD burner. I've made some stereo 2-track recordings with it as well as done some multi-tracking and I think I already got my $299 worth. I expect I'll want to move up to a PC-based system eventually but for now this is a great introduction and is a snap to create songs and burn CDs.

Besides the Tascam I have a pair of AKG C3000s, a pair of AKG C1000S, 2 SM57s, 4 SM58s, Shure model 55 and a harp mic. I plan to get some better mics eventually but these are a good starting point to learn mic placement, etc.

I also have a couple racks of gear including 2 Mackie mixers, KRK monitors, Sony headphones, a couple of Lexicon EFX and have ordered an "ART Tube PAC" to use for direct recording of bass. I haven't recieved it yet but am looking forward to checking it out.

I've been reading up on mic preamps. A couple that look interesting are the RMS RNP (real nice preamp) and the Groove-tube "Brick". Beyond that you're getting into the thousands.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:57 AM

Default Home recording help

If you're having problems with home recording, there's a guy who provides tutoring and technical support in-home across southern Ontario (Canada) and via phone and e-mail across North America.

His website is www.homerecordingpro.ca

I'm not sure what his phone rate is, but it may be about $20 per hour. I don't know his e-mail rate, but his in-home rates are on his website.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:30 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I work as a recording engineer in music and audio post for video and film. We used to have a Euphonix console in house, but these days, with so much being done on DAWs, we've checked out the Artist Series to help interface with the DAWs. I work with a hybrid interface - mouse, QWERTY keyboard, and two other controllers, a Yamaha console (for fader control of the automation) and a Euphonix MC Transport (for control of the transport and part of the GUI).

I learned on old school analog back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, so a rock solid connection to the transport via a good transport controller is really important to me. That big old jog/shuttle wheel in the middle of the MC Transport is really solid and very handy for locating the transport and zooming the timeline. Now, there will be typically be some programming to do so that the unit throws the right commands to your DAW, but the software is pretty simple. I haven't found an editing wheel that feels as solid as this one since the Fairlight MFX3 which had a marvelous shuttle jog wheel. I still do a lot with mouse and keyboard but my basic starting position is right hand on mouse and left on MC Transport. To me, the little silver wheel in the MCController feels like a toy compared to this one. Of course, the MC Controller does a lot more than this unit and doesn't cost much more. You will need to decide which functions you want - and that is a very personal choice. Another engineer here in my plant uses the MC Controller and loves it.

Have fun!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell