The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-28-2005, 12:25 PM

Default Looking for help with LIVE SOUND

Can't quite get the live sound down. 3 guitars, bass player and drummer. One guitar player cant hear the others and the bass player cant hear anyone. Put a monitor on the vocals and that worked fine but dont have enough inputs on the PA to mic all the amps. What is the correct way to set up for everyone to hear ? I am thinking of running everyone through a mixer, adjusting the levels there, somehow running that thru the pa and out the monitors ? is that correct ?
Old 07-08-2005, 04:52 PM

BUMP ... need help
Old 07-08-2005, 05:04 PM

First, stage sound level- the louder it gets the harder it gets to actually hear everything. You won't be able to hear the guy on the other side of the stage if there's an amp in between honking out 120db. So the sound usually escalates, getting worse. It will be hard, nearly impossible to get a good sound that all will be able to hear without micing the amps. If your board doesn't have the capacity to handle the number of mics, you may consider getting a smaller board and use it as a submix. Mic the amps through it, sending the line out to your main mixing board. I would try to find some way to mic the amps. The bigger the venue the worse it will be also.
________
Yamaha Psr-248 History

Last edited by Allen Shadd; 05-03-2011 at 08:24 AM.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:58 PM

The stage volume issue was also the first thing I thought of when I read your post-- as Pistolero said above. I think you'll find a lot of big acts -- not all though! -- who have an amazingly low stage volume. I think the need for that is reflected in some part by the growing amount of those clear plexiglas "drum reflector" sets you see, that help to isolate the drum sound and volume on stage. Also, the arrangement of your practice space may need some help. If yours is a case of everyone having to turn up to try to hear themselves over a loud drummer, start by bringing his volume down. But keep all your volumes down to start with and try to balance them all out at the lowest possible (within reason!) volume.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 07-08-2005, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

Default Take your time and reason it through...ask questions, take notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyG
...I am thinking of running everyone through a mixer, adjusting the levels there, somehow running that thru the pa and out the monitors ? is that correct ?
Hi BobbyG...
Our bands at church added full headphone monitoring this year, and the mix is better, our playing tighter and the sound is wonderful. We even put an extra mic on the leader (about a foot to one side of his PA mic) which is only going through the headphones and he can just speak softly into it and everyone on stage knows where he is going next.

The congregation adapted readily since we are a very casual group.

If somebody had a problem with fullsized headphones, it is only a small step to the in the ear monitors.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 07-08-2005 at 09:05 PM. Reason: explained it more
Old 07-17-2005, 09:48 PM

we only hear what we want to hear,
turn down, ears ON, brain ON, ahhhhhh
drummer, count us in.....
Old 07-17-2005, 10:56 PM

We only put the vocals (x 3-4) through the floor wedges. We use small instrument amps next to the monitor wedges and under the mics pointed at our shins to flood the instrument sound back at us at foot-knee level. It seems to work. We don't have more dB pointed at the mics, so feedback issues are minimized and, everyone can here the sound they need to hear to stay tight. Everything to the audience goes through the PA by way of the FOH speakers.
Froggy Bottom x 3
Goodall x 2
Cp Thonton Classic
Cp Thornton Elite
Cp Thornton Blues Queen
Cp Thornto Legend Special
Old 07-18-2005, 12:49 PM

I usually set up the sound for the last band I was in.

All amps miced into the PA, and Bass into the PA with a DI box. Vocals into the PA, and all of this ( except bass guitar ) splashed back into the stage monitors. The bass usually could be heard without needing to have it in the monitors. Amps were not played overly loud on stage. If you wanted to pick yourself up more in the mix you could move closer to your amp, or move your amp closer to where you were playing on stage.

And, you'd hear the others in the band coming back through the stage monitors as well as, from their stage amps.

The idea was to have the stage volume loud enough that everyone could hear well and get into the playing, but quiet enough to not blow everyone's brains out. Only in really large rooms would I mic the drums.

Stage sound wasn't always perfect with this set up, but usually good enough to get the job done to everyones satisfaction. Some nights for whatever reasons, the sound would be bang on though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell