The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-04-2018, 07:45 PM

I concur with the others in that 48mm is the absolute minimum for me on Nylon string guitars, and I’m better on 50mm. I can relax and enjoy when playing a 50mm nut, but am walking on eggshells when playing the 48mm nut.

If you decide to return what you have and are interested in other options, I’d suggest:

Córdoba Fusion series, 48mm nut
Córdoba GK series, 50mm nut

Hope that helps,
Gary
Old 12-04-2018, 08:31 PM

I was wondering how the neck felt. Being that its small.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:43 PM

Default Limitations of nut widths.

Having played everything from a Ramirez with a 54mm nut to my Lowden crossover with a 48mm nut, my preference is for something in the 48-50mm range. I have small fingers and find the wide nut makes some stretches challenging, compare this with fingertips contacting adjacent strings with narrower nuts.

My main traditional classical guitar (one I built myself) has a 50mm nut. Nobody has complained that the nut is too narrow, in fact some serious players have have commented on good overall playability.

Whilst personal taste plays a part, many steel-string players are used to much narrower nuts and dismiss wider nuts out of hand. It’s worth persevering with a nut width that allows clean playing with typical nylon string diameters and spacing.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:26 AM

There are a lot of crossover guitars made for electric guitar players or people who prefer a slim neck. Look at the Taylor NS series.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

Hey guys, little update: the seller wouldn't cover the cost for replacing the tuners and fixing it up, so I sent it back.

Decided to go up to 48mm nut and ordered a used Cordoba Fusion 12.
- Journey Instruments OF882CN Koa
- Lazy River Weissenborn
Old 12-10-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolegsfngrpickn View Post
Hey guys, little update: the seller wouldn't cover the cost for replacing the tuners and fixing it up, so I sent it back.

Decided to go up to 48mm nut and ordered a used Cordoba Fusion 12.
Good for you. I have a Cordoba C10 crossover with the same 48mm nut width and radiused fret board as yours. The actual string spacing at the nut is narrower then it could be so that might help in your favor. I hope you enjoy it and please let us know how you like it

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical