The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-26-2018, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Default Recording acoustic guitar with wind screen

Just curious if anyone has tried or needed to try using a wind screen before a mic when recording. I've noticed that it has been very difficult for me to get a clean, distortion free recording at decent levels if I start to play with some punchy chords or notes.
Maple Beneteau for sale
Old 11-26-2018, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny B View Post
Just curious if anyone has tried or needed to try using a wind screen before a mic when recording. I've noticed that it has been very difficult for me to get a clean, distortion free recording at decent levels if I start to play with some punchy chords or notes.
Hi Kenny B

We could probably give you more meaningful feedback if we know about your recording rig - make/model, mic, how far from the mic you are when recording.

If you are recording digitally (as opposed to tape), then you can back your input volumes down so the max/loudest you play only registers between -12 and -6, and then boost volume to the quieter sections during post production.

I have never used nor needed a windscreen for the mic when recording instruments acoustically. People on the other hand when they speak or sing sometimes need windscreens for a variety of reasons.

[/size]

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-26-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny B View Post
Windscreens, or pop-filters. are used for many singers because of what are called, plosives, or bursts of air produced by singing. I've never heard of anyone using one for anything other than that although I can imagine a mic close up to a kick drum head possibly benefiting.

Your problems have to do with what is called, gain staging. Google that and tell us what you find once you understand what the problem is.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:58 AM

What they said ^^^ You're recording too loud.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD