The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-27-2013, 12:16 PM

"The band" should feel honored. Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-27-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williejohnson View Post
Bob,
Great job, I really enjoyed this! Your arrangement of this classic was great and if I hadn't known what song was coming, when I heard the intro, I would not have been surprised to hear "These Days" by Jackson Browne. Very well done!

Willie
Thanks, Willie! Yes, the intro is the same chord progression as "These Days." That's another great song I should learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryder View Post
"The band" should feel honored. Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ryder, thank you very much for that outstanding compliment. I read that even though Robertson is credited as the writer, 'The Weight' was actually a true collaboration by the members of The Band. Some say that is why the story doesn't fit together real well...it is a compilation of their individual experiences and inputs. I hope you are right that they would like my rendition!

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 02-27-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1131 View Post
Thanks, Willie! Yes, the intro is the same chord progression as "These Days." That's another great song I should learn.

Ryder, thank you very much for that outstanding compliment. I read that even though Robertson is credited as the writer, 'The Weight' was actually a true collaboration by the members of The Band. Some say that is why the story doesn't fit together real well...it is a compilation of their individual experiences and inputs. I hope you are right that they would like my rendition!

I love the Nazareth part. Mind blowing (for me anyway) when I read that it was about Martin and Nazareth, PA. Awesome song, and so is your version btw.

(and I agree that Martin guitars ARE that inspiring)
Old 02-27-2013, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

I swear the more I peruse this forum, the more humbled I am.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryder View Post
I love the Nazareth part. Mind blowing (for me anyway) when I read that it was about Martin and Nazareth, PA. Awesome song, and so is your version btw.

(and I agree that Martin guitars ARE that inspiring)
Yes, it is interesting that they chose Nazareth and paid tribute to C.F. Martin! Still, I hope they don't mind that I played this on a Taylor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
I swear the more I peruse this forum, the more humbled I am.
Thank you, Sal. I'm with you on that thought...there are some fantastic artists that post here. From Ernie's (Sage97) awesome tenor delights, Bud's baritone thunder, Andrew and Jane's beautiful folky arrangements and WillieJohnson's soulful blues, to the guitar wizardry of Ed Harp (gibbyguy), Mau (Joe Charter), Rick-Slo, and Fran Guidry, to the unique perspectives and creativity of Eric (Noledog), yourself, Bill Brown, Jeremy and so many others! It is all the wonderful talent I hear here that keeps me coming back!

ReverbNation (originals)

Last edited by Bob1131; 02-28-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:27 AM

Bob, I too have not had much time to enjoy the hobby. It's been about 9 months since my last recording and I don't think I've even played a collective month in all that time either. My calluses are getting thin.

What a fantastic job you did on this song. It's your style that allowed you to pull this off. When I read that you made it a solo, it's like this is what I would have expected. It's just natural.

I think your decision to eliminate the "and...and...and" harmony part was a good one for a solo arrangement. But if I may, the first go'round of the chorus sounded awkward when you sang the "and" up front. Maybe it would sound better if you paused and then sang the last "and" so that instead of "and.... you put the load right on me", you actually sing "......and you put the load right on me". Does that make sense?

Regardless, this was a very pleasing arrangement to an old favorite. When I saw it in the list of threads, I knew I had to give it a listen. I haven't been around here in a while so it was nice to get reacquainted with one of your tunes.

YouTube (GuiTuber)
SoundCloud

My modest collection:
Hohner HGK-512 (no strings; lifted bridge)
Yamaha FG720S-12, w/ p'ups
Alvarez AJ60S, w/ p'ups
Ibanez AEB5 acoustic bass

Pickups: JBB-Electronics Prestige 330 (SBT) - finest quality at half the price

Recording gear:
Focusrite Saffire 6
MXL 990 and 991 condensor mics
Old 03-02-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhancox View Post
Bob, I too have not had much time to enjoy the hobby. It's been about 9 months since my last recording and I don't think I've even played a collective month in all that time either. My calluses are getting thin.

What a fantastic job you did on this song. It's your style that allowed you to pull this off. When I read that you made it a solo, it's like this is what I would have expected. It's just natural.

I think your decision to eliminate the "and...and...and" harmony part was a good one for a solo arrangement. But if I may, the first go'round of the chorus sounded awkward when you sang the "and" up front. Maybe it would sound better if you paused and then sang the last "and" so that instead of "and.... you put the load right on me", you actually sing "......and you put the load right on me". Does that make sense?

Regardless, this was a very pleasing arrangement to an old favorite. When I saw it in the list of threads, I knew I had to give it a listen. I haven't been around here in a while so it was nice to get reacquainted with one of your tunes.
Thanks for your thoughtful response, Rob. I agree...I am sure your suggestion would work! I'll give it a try next time I play it. I think the "and" ended up front because that is the way I've always sung it (with Deb adding the harmonies), so I just never gave it a thought to change it. That's what I like about Show & Tell...folks here are always creative and thought provoking! Thanks again!

ReverbNation (originals)

Old 03-06-2013, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

Very nicely done. The Weight is a seriously big song to take on - You did it exceedingly well.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kh1967 View Post
Very nicely done. The Weight is a seriously big song to take on - You did it exceedingly well.
Thank you so much for listening and commenting, KH1967. I sure do appreciate it!

ReverbNation (originals)

Old 03-08-2013, 07:47 AM

Wow, that was great!

What a voice, too.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 03-08-2013, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

One of my favorite songs. You knocked it out of the park.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
Wow, that was great!

What a voice, too.
Many thanks, Murphy!

ReverbNation (originals)

Old 03-08-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluside View Post
One of my favorite songs. You knocked it out of the park.
Thank you, Bluside. I'm glad you liked it, and I appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment.

ReverbNation (originals)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell