The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-27-2007, 12:59 PM

Default Zoom H4 (or similar) for outdoor recording

I'm looking for a portable device to record "live" sound at get-togethers (campfires), jams, or outdoor music festivals. The Zoom H4 (or similar) seems like the way to go. I get the impression that this is the "point & shoot camera" of music devices. Anyone have experience with this, or a similar device? Any recomendations?

How critical is distance when recording acoustic guitar and vocals in an outdoor setting? For example, we have an annual get-together (corn-roast / campfire/ jam). 30-40 people. If I'm sitting 20 feet away from someone, can I expect to get reasonable sound?

I'm also wondering if it's possible to combine video shot from a point & shoot camera (movie-mode), to the audio captured by the Zoom, and post it on YouTube.

I'd also like to go to outdoor concerts such as the Montreal International Jazz Festival, and record some of those wonderful performances. The goal would be to post some of the great music I've heard at those events, then post those moments on YouTube, so others can become familiar with the talented musicians who may not have the exposure they so richly deserve. Here's an example.

How many among you have ever heard of Jimmy James, one of Montreals' great local blues-guitarists? The guy simply blows me away everytime I see him play, and I'd like to introduce more people to his amazing talent. I could find only two YouTube videos of Jimmy playing at the Montreal Jazz-Fest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BPzJ...elated&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJRoU...elated&search=

Here's Jimmy just having fun in a small music-store in Montreal. He's playing an off-the-rack strat, and accompanied by Frank Scopelleti on drums. This was apparently recorded by a store-customer with his cell-phone camera. This was shot during business hours, and you'll hear someone trying to join-in with a bass at the 1:50 second mark. It's a little distracting, but thankfully doesn't last long. I hope you enjoy Jimmy and Frank's playing as much as I do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE12v...elated&search=

Bob
Old 05-27-2007, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

I don't know about that far of a distance. My sadly departed H4 was very good though, but a little delicate, but that isn't what caused its demise. It does make an excellent recording though with a couple of condensor mics.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell