The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-21-2018, 09:11 AM

October 29th will be 10 years off of tobacco for me. I used to smoke a pipe or cigarettes a LOT. I am healthier and happier now. I can't stand the smell of burning tobacco anymore. Rather stand downwind of an outhouse.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 09-21-2018, 10:32 AM

Quit "cold turkey" in 1992 and have turned into the exact S.O.B. I use to hate! Don't even want to be around anything/anyone smoking!

Think about "the habit", 4 of them really,
1. Oral--boy, we learn THAT early!
2. Visual--Hey, look at the smoke rings.
3. Tactile, something to do with your hands messing around with the cigarettes, pipes, lighters, reamers, cleaners, ashtrays etc. etc.
4. Finally "the rush" of the drug. Chew, Smoke, Snort, Patch,----- I'm sure they inject nicotine too.

Fog
Old 09-21-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
Pipe? What, are you a cop? That’s not my pipe! But it was in your pocket......uh, these aren’t my pants.......who’s pants are they? And the pipe is still warm. I don’t know but they aren’t my pants. Ok, put your hands behind your back. I can’t say how many times I’ve been stuck in this scenario.
Old Cheech and Chong joke..

Border Guard: "Your papers please!!!.."
Hippie: "I only have a pipe"
Old 09-21-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
You talking like we’re gonna make it out of this thing we call life alive. Cigar smoking and cigarette smoking are two completely different things. Premium cigars are 100% natural, compare that to cigarettes which have thousands of chemicals. Also cigars are puffed and not inhaled. Sure there’s still the chance of mouth or throat cancer, but it’s nowhere near as a high chance as cigarettes. Heart disease is still the number one killer in this country, so we all are in one way or another slowly squeezing that trigger.
There is no safe form of tobacco. That's a fact. Yes, we're all going to die but why rush it?
Old 09-21-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRuskin View Post
There is no safe form of tobacco. That's a fact. Yes, we're all going to die but why rush it?

I’m not saying it’s safe. My point is that cigars are usually lumped in the same category as cigarettes which is a fallacy, that’s a fact. You may not use tobacco products, but I bet there is something, some vice or habit that’s essentially making your life shorter. Drink? Ride motorcycles? The list goes on and on.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
I’m not saying it’s safe. My point is that cigars are usually lumped in the same category as cigarettes which is a fallacy, that’s a fact. You may not use tobacco products, but I bet there is something, some vice or habit that’s essentially making your life shorter. Drink? Ride motorcycles? The list goes on and on.
All you are saying is that cigars and pipes have you squeezing that trigger somewhat slower than cigarettes.

FYI - I haven't smoked or used any tobacco since 1977, have no use for alcohol, and don't ride motor bikes. I suppose I could cut myself on a guitar string and get an infection. I'll take my chances with that.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:18 PM

I started pipe smoking in 1974 and really enjoyed it. Love almost anything with latakia and a little perique makes it perfect. In my roadwarrior days, my pipe made driving three hours home after a fifteen hour work day possible.

Alas, due to a cardiac condition, the pipe got set aside in 2016. Really miss it sometimes, but walking around is better.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:40 PM

Quote:
All you are saying is that cigars and pipes have you squeezing that trigger somewhat slower than cigarettes.

FYI - I haven't smoked or used any tobacco since 1977, have no use for alcohol, and don't ride motor bikes. I suppose I could cut myself on a guitar string and get an infection. I'll take my chances with that.

As a matter of fact, yes. What makes cigarettes so bad for you is not the tobacco, but all those chemicals. Are cigars completely safe? Of course not, they still pose a threat to your health. But they shouldn’t be lumped in the same category as cigarettes.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
As a matter of fact, yes. What makes cigarettes so bad for you is not the tobacco, but all those chemicals. Are cigars completely safe? Of course not, they still pose a threat to your health. But they shouldn’t be lumped in the same category as cigarettes.
Cigars are what got US Grant. Just saying.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:31 AM

As I sit on my back patio perusing the AGF, I'm enjoying a nice English/Oriental pipe tobacco and drinking some dark roast coffee. Just finished a 3 mile walk with the dog, and enjoyed another Arizona sunrise. Yes I smoke a pipe and I like Virginia, Virginia/Perique, and English varieties of pipe tobaccos.

I've ridden motorcycles for 36 years, spend a lot of time hiking, hunting, and fishing in the Arizona wilderness, and enjoy other things that some people probably don't approve of. My wife will let me know if I'm doing something she doesn't approve of...
Old 09-22-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddslide View Post
Of course I am speaking of tobacco..
Darn, now I can’t comment..
Old 09-22-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
All natural tobacco still kills. There is no upside to having it or its byproducts in your body, regardless of intake method. Anyone wiling is welcome to take that risk.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
All natural tobacco still kills. There is no upside to having it or its byproducts in your body, regardless of intake method. Anyone wiling is welcome to take that risk.

I can argue there is an upside. When I smoke a good cigar with a glass of neat single malt, all my stress goes away for that hour and half. [emoji4]
Old 09-22-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
This is way too preachy. Let the guy enjoy his pleasures.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alder Statesman View Post
Cigars are what got US Grant. Just saying.
And my brother.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic